Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 or 3 month stay - what are the options for accommodation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Next season, I'm looking to maximise time in the alps, subject (as a UK citizen) to the 3 month limitation. This could either be a 3 month block, or (more likely) 8 weeks from early Jan to start of March, then 4 weeks in April for ski touring. I've previously spent whole seasons in a resort, but staying for 2 or 3 months seems to fall between the seasonal rental and holiday rental (most have a maximum stay of ~4 weeks).

We (a couple) will probably work remotely for ~3 days a week, and are looking at wide area passes (e.g. Magic Pass or Aosta valley). Currently open-minded about whether to stay in resort, or down valley in town, or a resort/town (e.g. Chamonix/Briancon).

As we'll need to be working remotely, reliable broadband from day one is important. For holiday rentals we'd expect broadband to be supplied, but what's typical for longer rentals ? (the last time I did a season rental was 1998 when we relied on dial-up, and I think we had to setup the phone connection, which took a week or 2, in Chamonix)

Then there's Covid. Clearly there are a load of unknowns, but my main approach is likely to be to leave it as late as possible (ideally mid December) before committing money, which would be based on the assumption of availability, and being able to conduct everything remotely

My main question is how best to approach the accommodation (holiday rental / seasonal rental / something else) ? I've a pretty long list of locations already, though I don't know anything of Austria east of Innsbruck, so any suggestions there would be helpful
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aren't there tax implications for working remotely as a third country national?

East of Innsbruck is my area, but 1, 2 or 3 month rental falls into the category of tourism rental, so not cheap. Property owners/managers are assured of income during peak weeks such as Christmas, New Year and all of February so you would probably have to pay full rate for those weeks (that's if they are not already sold), but you may be able to negotiate lower rates for other weeks. Unless of course you find a friendly accommodation owner who is happy to take a price cut in return for a guaranteed income. You would still have to pay tourism tax of course. You would probably need to negotiate directly with owners, but tourist offices would be able to give you a list of suitable properties.

There is a good value season pass for Salzburgerland:
https://www.superskicard.com
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Salzburg/Pinzgau area is also great for skiing in lots of different resorts, as they are all quite close together and on the same pass. Maybe think about somewhere like Saalfelden or Mittersill or one of the villages outside of Wagrain or Schladming, for instance. If you drive there, you will have access to loads of skiing within 30 minutes and the rents will probably be a lot more reasonable.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies. Re the tax implications, my understanding is that, as we'd be staying for well short of 183 days, we'd remain solely tax resident in the UK, though this is based on HMRC info, and we'd also need to check with the destination country's tax office once we have a better idea of which country. Or there's always plan B, to not work at all and just have a big holiday...

I'm intending to go out just after new year to avoid that peak
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy