Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samoens & The Gran Massif

Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from 3 days skiing the Grand Massif. Wow - the pistes are the best I have skied. Plenty of snow almost all over - well bashed, cold and sunny (although it looks like it is snowing today on the webcams). Skied Samoens, Flaine, Morillon and Les Carroz - all good. Even made it to the famous Cascades run (14km) from Flaine 2480m down to Sixt 680m. Good coverage (a little icy at the very end) - great fun despite some polling near the top. Morillon has some great tree-lined runs to have some fun with - into the trees, little jumps at the edge of the piste etc brilliant. Cant wait to go back (a week on Sunday!!!! hurrah).

Steve

PS - did I mention how good the pistes were?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevo_the_saddler, Have you got a 'place' there or do you just find somewhere to stay in, I guess, Samoens? It is a great area and being so close to Geneva makes it very attractive for a short break.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have an apartment in Samoens www.alpsapartment.co.uk for more details. Short breaks are great - I have even done "Day trips" using Easyjet early our of Luton and late flight back - get about 5 hours skiing in! No need to rush now the aopartment is finished! Do you have a place?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevo_the_saddler, No place anymore, we used to have one in Chatel. I used to ski a lot from Les Carroz as it is about the closest ski station of any size to Geneva, I worked in Ferney Voltaire at the time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CP, Went to Chatel last year - very nice. We chose Samoens as it has a life in the summer too. The Grand Massif is a great ski area - and very quiet most of the time - suppose I ought to stop singing its praises otherwise everyone will want to go and it will get busier!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stevo_the_saddler, Chatel has life in the summer too - we used to do a lot of walking there in the summer months, when we were not decorating or cleaning the flat etc. I was amazed at just how many people there were in the town in July and August and most shops and restaurants were open.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CP, I know Chatel also good in summer - I meant rather than some of the higher altitude resorts
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Stevo,

Out for my first ever visit to that area, I'm staying in Les Carroz.

Cascades sounds fun, I'll look out for that, do you know if they got much new snow yesterday? Hoping to play in the trees Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think only a little was forecast - but to be honest it was great anyway. The only icy patches were at the very bottom of Sixt and the very lowest part of the Samoens run down to Vercland. Other than that the pistes were fantastic as was the little bit of tree dodging we did in Morrillon and Les Carroz. Watch out if you are going off piste - especially up in Flaine where it is particularly dangerous without a guide. If you want some fun in the trees (but not steep) head for the long green run in Morillon (Marvel). When are you there? I go again 5-12th Feb with family. Cant wait!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi
Been studying piste maps & a little confused, not that unusual!
Can't seem to work out simplest way from Carroz to Morillion & back, sure it must be easy but quite a few runs do not have direction on my map!
Went from Morillion back to Flaine last year & can't even see how we did that on my map !
Any help appreciated Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm off tomorrow, back Tuesday night. From the research I did, there is only one "dangerous" area, which I was told was around the
Lapiaz lift.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
provenjohn, Piste map isn't the best - but you shouldn't have a problem between the resorts - plenty of signs dotted around too. I always make sure I am in or around where I want to be an hour before the lifts close.

gregh, Lapiaz area is definatly to be avoided (I think even the piste was closed earlier this week) but there are plenty of other "holes" around the top part of Flaine - in the main gondola (the 23 person stand-up one) there are some summer pictures on the wall to show exacltly why you should be careful.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cheers Steve,

It was a SCGB guy who has given me some pointers to some safer areas......

Do the "holes" cover up in winter, or are they fairly obvious?

regards

Greg
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From what I have heard it is safer when there is more snow - but personally, why take the risk when there is plenty to try elsewhere in the Grand Massif? When you go up in the lift, you will see the obvious ones - and again it is easier to spot when there are tracks around - but after a fresh snowfall - not so easy! Still - enjoy and stay safe snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ah ok, I thought you meant holes were all over the Grand Massif, but from re-reading it's just in one specific area?
snow report
gregh, Top of Flaine is worst area - maybe someone with more knowledge can tell you more - but from what I know, the other areas are OK.
ski holidays
The worst area is above Flaine towards Les Grande Plattiers (or similar), you can see down some pretty impressive ones from the chairs!
That area is riddled with deep crevasses, they put nets over & let snow build up on them!! Ski'd that area with a geologist who said entire area is full of deep fissures, I think it's a definate case of off piste only with a guide or instuctor in Flaine area. Sad
ski holidays
provenjohn, just before our first trip there about 10 or so years ago, I think someone disappeared down a crevasse after an on-piste fall, thay wen through some dodgy or missing safety netting.
snow report
I've boarded that top area loads...have seen those summer pictures and have never made first tracks up there but have stuck close to others' tracks in fresh powder and had a whale of a time...can you tell me where Lapiaz is greg? BTW is Samoens your regular hang out? I'll look out for another regular Avalunger!! Little Angel
ski holidays
Freestyle, Samoens is my hangout now!
snow report
Freestyle wrote:
I've boarded that top area loads...have seen those summer pictures and have never made first tracks up there but have stuck close to others' tracks in fresh powder and had a whale of a time...can you tell me where Lapiaz is greg? BTW is Samoens your regular hang out? I'll look out for another regular Avalunger!! Little Angel

Go take a look in the summer Very Happy You'd not want your final thought to be "with hindsight taking off piste advice from a bloke over the internet was pretty stupid" or "with hindsight I can see the ski club guy hasn't been there in the summer either" or "crikey, that's a large hole" etc etc etc Very Happy
snow report
Heystevo_the_saddler,

I hope that Samoens doesn't change too much - I guess you already know about the 6 man replacement chair for Chariande II? We don't need it - there are never any queues there!!Puzzled Apparently it will go all the way to Tete de Saix....speedy.

Also, do you know Dan and Clare from Go-Massif? We are loving having a town centre apartment - Covey's is at the bottom of our building! wink
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, Thanks for the info - we're in Morillon 11th - 18th and it's good to hear conditions are holding up. provenjohn, Moriilon - Carroz is very easy I'll dig out my tired and tattered piste map from last year and see if I can work out how we did it.
latest report
Freestyle, Cool - thats our hangout too. Out apartment is in Les Fermes de Samoens - near Grand Tetras. Only took keys a month or so ago - first "Family" holiday there on Sunday (whoopee). Don't know Dab & Clare. Know Tom & Ali (Alps Accom) and Liz and Andy (new this year - PureChalets). Love the place.
snow report
ise,

Gotcha.

We took risks this New Year....gotta reign ourselves in from the 'Yippee ....the snow....I'm invincible' syndrome. Not big or clever. Shocked

Thanks.
snow report
stevo_the_saddler,

Yep. Love it too. Think I stood in front of Tom and Ali in Sherpa. Is their place in the Sherpa building - I thought I recognised them from their website? Does that sound a bit stalkeresque??? Cool
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler,

What's Grand Tetras?
latest report
Freestyle wrote:
ise,

Gotcha.

We took risks this New Year....gotta reign ourselves in from the 'Yippee ....the snow....I'm invincible' syndrome. Not big or clever. Shocked

Thanks.

Take the time to explore in the summer, I used to walk over or run quite often, it's wild scenery and you get a good feel for where to ski in the winter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Freestyle, No they have a big Chalet not far from the stream near ski bus stop. They spend quite a bit of time in Coveys too. Grand Tetras is another developement. Les Fermes de Samoens is right on the edge of the village - past MGM(Sherpa) bear right by Cheese Factory and over stream - on the right. Was (is to some extent) a building site until very recently. Are you living over there? Or just regualr visitors
ski holidays
We are regulars but have been offered a business but can't afford the fench mortgage without the jobs we have here in the UK. Crying or Very sad

Dan and Clare live in Sixt and are always telling us to do it!!!

Do you know anything about La Louisianne being up for sale?
snow report
ise,

You walked/ran from Morillon to Flaine?
snow report
stevo_the_saddler, I'm not sure my name came up on the LFDS forum but I was the one asking you about whether non-guests can pay to use the pool/gym?
snow report
BTW - I'm a boarder and I love Cascades - the off piste is delish at the top and the walking gives me a break when my quads have been burning for the week!! Very Happy
ski holidays
Freestyle, Ah, I see - dont suppose your friends are the ones staying in my Apartment in March (11th) are they? Had heard about Louisianne - love their pizza's!!!! There's a business to buy! Got a few quid to spare!
snow conditions
Freestyle wrote:
ise,

You walked/ran from Morillon to Flaine?

Yup, a few times. I ran back way, way quicker in a storm one time Very Happy
latest report
ise, Shocked How long does it take?
latest report
stevo_the_saddler,

Friends staying 11th-18th Feb - Wacky Races time... Laughing
snow report
Freestyle wrote:
ise, Shocked How long does it take?

Good question, I don't recall, about 4 or so hours I think. I've cheated before and used the lift to get to the Igloo at 1500m which cut's a few hundred meters off the first ascent. And I don't descend into Flaine, coming back up the Grand Vans line would be awful and going down would be more than my knees could take I think Very Happy

Just to the Tete des Saix is a nice route and then back down for lunch at the Oread above Les Carroz, easy from Morillon or Samoens 1600.
ski holidays
just back from Les Carroz. My first trip to the Grand Massif, very nice area!

Very warm though, 0 was at 3000m yesterday, starting to show on the sun exposed routes. No off piste really left, moguls and ice/crust mostly off piste, found 2 little off piste runs of reasonable snow, one in Gers bowl although the top was hard or crusty and not much fun, and one off near a stream on the way to Flaine from Les Carroz.

My missus finally got her boots tweaked to almost comfort by Flaine Superski, very friendly people in there!

Spent most of yesterday cruising around, skiing blacks where we found them, some nice snow on the black runs, icy top of moguls in some cases but soft snow in between. Still the odd bare/rocky/tree root sections to be careful of.

Did grand cret down to Samoens which was a very hard piste with ice and the odd softer/grippy section, wondered why we were the only people on it Wink

Some lovely wide blasty sections of all runs inc the blacks, very quiet pistes so could really let the skis run.

The off piste looks to have fantastic potential in the area, apart from the obvious (and I guess not so obvious) holes in the flaine bowl, the other bowls up from Les Carroz (inc trees) and the Gers bowl all seem to have massive potential for some great off piste.

regards,

Greg
snow report
gregh, Glad you enjoyed it.
Any recommendations for Les Carroz & area for eating & drinking?
snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy