Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Motorbike helmet on the piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning getting my daughter a momo design open face helmet for scooting about behind me on a scooter in Italy in the summer. It would be nice if she could use the same helmet for scooting about in front of me on the slopes in France in the winter.

What do we think? Are sub zero temperatures likely to compromise the structural integrity?

https://www.mgmotostore.com/en/momo-design-fgtr-baby-jet-helmet-pink-mattmulti
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would not let my daughter have anything not tested and rated here https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/ when she is my pillion rider.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Motor scooter? So, heavy helmet? What is her age?

Regardless, I vote no and heck no. The guilt would kill me. There's a right tool for this job.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No ventilation, too heavy. Motorcycle helmets are not designed for exercise. Don’t do it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
far too heavy for snow sports
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good points on the weight and vents, I'll have to check what her current decathlon jet weights in at. I don't think it's vented either though...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bob wrote:
far too heavy for snow sports

Unless you have relevant weights along with knowledge of the ski helmet considered to make a valid assessment, that's really nonsense, isn't it.

All helmet are designed and made to minimum weights that will bring the protection required in their relevant standard to which they are tested. How can such a statement be made without this data to give insight ?

It's normal that motorcycle head protection is brought to a higher impact standard given the crash scene "furniture" yes, but that's a desirable attribute surely for any head owner. Also has to be considered for a whole range of temperature environments that will easily cover a skiing dominated one. Motorcycling is carried out both winter and summer, making that concern redundant.

Momo is a highly respected manufacturer of safety equipment, I'm sure they know what they are doing in balancing physical kinetic activities against impact absorption etc in making that helmet suitable for wearing in the age range it's targeting.

Would appear to offer greater protection in skiing application than many ski helmets, and most likely to have better fit, comfort etc than an alternative hired item that many use without furher consideration.

Certainly a more informed view would be of value in the decision than just stating motorcycle helmets are heavy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helmet manufacturers take all the use specific requirements into account, then come up with designs/tech that best fits those. No helmet manufacturer makes a helmet that covers both motorcycling and snowsports.

If it was my daughters life I wanted protecting, I'd trust the experts rather than worry about my wallet.

And the MOMO helmet above is 1.3kg and for comparison Giro kids ski helmets are circa 500g. That's a lot of extra weight pulling on her head any time she falls. Something I'm guessing she'll do a lot more often on snow than on the back of a dad's scooter
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You have to consider that although a moto Helmet is for driving in Winter ans Summer it is may not be available for temp e.g. -12 C
I am not an expert but this may influence the whole safety standards
Except that the moto Helmets are heavier...i dont know if this is ssoooooo good for the neck
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ski3,
I did look at the weights before commenting. Given the difference in weight between adult momo design motorcycle open face helmets and an average adult ski helmet which seems to be circa 650-700g or just over twice the weight. I would expect a child/junior momo design ski helmet to weigh in at 850-900g vs 440g for a child/junior Salamon Grom.

the differnce one assumes is down to the stringent safety reuquirement required for road use helmets.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy