Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alps resort ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm so happy to be at least thinking about getting to the Alps again next winter. We had it a little better than many of you in the USA last year, but it still wasn't the Alps. So in the past year, the kid started going to college so we have a bit more flexibility timing wise (vs always heading to ski during 1/2 term). Usually we go to higher elevation resorts that had decent things for the Mrs to do if she didnt want to ski. Been to Zermatt, 3V (meribel), 4V (verbier), chamonix, arlberg (st anton), tigne, and courmeyeur in the past. Enjoyed them all over the years and I like having off piste options, while Mrs is more of a blue piste skieer. Was thinking dolomites should be on the list, but also never been to st moritz or davos.

Appreciate any suggestions or ideas, and time of year we should consider. Fingers crossed that we all make up lost ground this coming season.

thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Surely dolomites?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hard to vote against Dolomites.

But as commented on another current thread, we enjoyed skiing in Davos. Haven't been to St Moritz (well have, but in the summer) but by reputation expensive.

But actually there are a lot of places you could have fun.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr.Egg wrote:
Surely dolomites?

+1
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Plagne / Les Arcs? Plenty of cruisy blues and large area with off-piste options.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Redwine, what time of the season?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
….if December or very early January, somewhere on the Sella Ronda (eg Selva). Or Val D’Isere/Tignes.

By mid January, add lots more options. St Anton or Lech. Saalbach Hinterglemm.
3V, Paradiski.

Personally I’d avoid 2nd week of Feb to 1st week of March inclusive. Too busy most places.

2nd week of March to end of month prime time in my opinion. Many possibilities opened up. Also a good time to travel between areas to enjoy a 2,3,4 centre trip.

By April I’d be looking at the higher larger ski circuits again. Also watch out for the week Easter Sunday falls into. Nowhere near as busy as mid Feb but busier than say mid March.

I’m assuming of course you prefer a bit more space on your mountains and indoor places not too crowded.

Understanding more about your preferences for types of snowsports, non snowsports activities, food, ambience, travel, accommodation type, etc might help narrow down a very wide field.
snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
March - somewhere that has had decent snowpack by mid Feb.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some good recommendations already, but also worth considering Wengen. The Mrs can take the train up to Jungfraujoch on a day off. You get to stop inside the Eiger and there's a viewpoint looking out from the north face.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all ideas. Much more flexibility this year, so not tied to 1/2 term week as we have been for last 10 years. I was probably thinking early March, and hoping for a storms.

We have air bnb recently, we enjoy that flexibility. Nicer flat, but not necessarily over the top. Don’t need a party town, and non ski stuff except for a spa is not that important for mrs. food wise, honestly, other than Italy most non mountain food is disappointing. Even mich * places, which are really good, are not as good as Michelin places in cities or specific destinations. So we are not really going for the food other than a raclette one eve, and maybe a rustic experience at a yurt another. We never tried the group packages that are more popular for UK market (we usually self cater), I wonder if we should look into that?

In past, for towns we liked verbier, chamonix and zermatt. We were in upper meribel so no real town up there, val d and corcheval looked awesome, but we just visited, rather than stayed there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You might want to take a look at Champoluc in the Monterosa area. Great village, top Italian grub, excellent off piste. It’s got quite a few hotels, some quite swanky. Not on the scale of the bigger resorts you mention, but the Monterosa area is fun to explore.
If you think you might want to explore the 3V some more, I’m obviously somewhat biased as we have a place in St Martin de Belleville. Charming village, where you can find some lovely characterful accommodation, and loads of lift accessible off piste above the village. Or Courchevel 1650 (Moriond), which is an excellent base for blue run skiing. It’s quite low key compared with 1850, but more sensibly priced.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dolomites are absolutely brilliant for extensive picturesque skiing. If the off piste options are important to you it may not be the most reliable. It has a reputation for rather erratic snow falls and the off piste base has been scratchy to poor on my visits. Piste skiing was outstanding and others have given reports of good off piste in better conditions.

Of the other places you mention Davos has a large area with great off piste and generally good snow. Town is not the most attractive but the area is lovely with a good winter sports vibe.
Not been to St Moritz but it has a similar reputation.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like St Moritz, but I've always had a car, which helps to get around, as the ski areas are a bit scattered (similar to Chamonix in that regard). It also has excellent cross-country skiing, if that's relevant (but then so does Davos)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
viv wrote:
It also has excellent cross-country skiing, if that's relevant (but then so does Davos)

One time we were in Davos there were the cross country world championships. One team (Kazakhstan from memory) had booked rooms in our budget accommodation, which meant the ski storage room was occupied by their technicians and their re-sharpening/re-waxing equipment.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Redwine wrote:
I'm so happy to be at least thinking about getting to the Alps again next winter. We had it a little better than many of you in the USA last year, but it still wasn't the Alps.

Good luck with whatever you decide for next winter. I hope all goes well for you.

However, regarding last season, "a little better" is something of an understatement, given that you had accessible and open ski resorts at home. And while "It wasn't the Alps" it was, and still is, something that feels like a pipe dream to most of us on here. rolling eyes

We made the most of ski touring in Scotland in May (as, before then, we weren't even allowed to travel there from England) and are looking forward to some lift-assisted turns when we are finally allowed to travel abroad. Here's hoping....
snow report
DCG wrote:
Some good recommendations already, but also worth considering Wengen. The Mrs can take the train up to Jungfraujoch on a day off. You get to stop inside the Eiger and there's a viewpoint looking out from the north face.

Or Lauterbrunnen so she can go either side - up to the 007 restaurant in Murren, or down to Interlakken on the train

Only downside is that the train up to Wengen is so slow - something like 45minutes (?) to get to the top of the skiing under the Jungfrau
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
DCG wrote:

Or Lauterbrunnen so she can go either side - up to the 007 restaurant in Murren, or down to Interlakken on the train

Only downside is that the train up to Wengen is so slow - something like 45minutes (?) to get to the top of the skiing under the Jungfrau

Recent timetable changes have reduced the duration of the trip from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg to 38 minutes. It’s still not exactly an express.
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:

Recent timetable changes have reduced the duration of the trip from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg to 38 minutes. It’s still not exactly an express.

Not too bad as you will never be queuing for the train unlike some village lifts elsewhere. Just got to time arriving at the station.

It's an experience though

Lauterbrunnen excellent for non skiers, plenty of walks on both sides
snow report
Cervinia, if you didn’t ski that side too much when in Zermatt.
ski holidays
What kind of off-piste are you after? Guided, away from the lifts? Or just between pistes?

St Moritz has a lot of "between pistes" kind of off piste. Some skiing in the forest too. Also, when I went there (many years ago), there were groups forming near the tourist kiosk for skiing off the back side of the mountain. They seem quite casual about it. (I didn't go, as condition was pretty good in between pistes to keep me busy and happy)

Oh yes, there're itinerary too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy