Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italian beginner resorts advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. I am looking for recommendations for an Italian resort for a family of novice skiers (two adults, 12 and 14 y/o). This will be our third trip in 4 years after going to La Thuile twice.

l am looking for decent blues and entry level reds. Have read about Corvara, Livigno, and Kronplatz but would appreciate your thoughts/advice on these or any other Italian beginner friendly resorts.

Two of the group do not love skiing (yet!) so l really want our next trip to be awesome. I had great guidance from the snowheads community for our first trip so would really value any suggestions for next year.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@daleh, St. Ulrich in the Dolomites may be ideal. There are lots of moving pavements in the town to making to and from the lifts less of a chore. Sorry but I don't really know how to make people who do not love skiing have an awesome holiday. In fact that applies to aany other holiday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One important thing for skiers is to accept that not everyone is going to love skiing. You can ruin their holiday if they feel you are disappointed in them! Maybe find somewhere with other stuff. And if they do want to ski prioritise quality of instruction.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You cannot go wrong in the Alta Badia for beginners ; Corvara is probable the best positioned, but also have a look a La Villa of San Cassiano and Colfosco.

If they don't get on with the skiing, the beauty of the area should suffice...!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pila? It is in the Aosta valley like La Thuille but I thought it was a lot more beginner friendly. Lots of blue runs, and the reds aren't that daunting either. There is a gondola out of Aosta town, which means if you stay there you can not only ski but enjoy Italian town life (Covid permitting).

Otherwise the Dolomites, there is something about that region that the doubters in your group might still recognise as special. I can't suggest anywhere without looking for my old piste map, but I do remember some of the places on the Sella Ronda seemed to be well supplied with beginner slopes. Someone here will tell you which. And there might be the incentive of your group doing the whole Sella Ronda at the end of the week (not actually particularly difficult, a mixture of blues and easy reds, but it will take a full day for someone less confident). Or even the Hidden Valley.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What time of year@daleh ?
Kronplatz would suit the skiers in your group especially if you base yourselves in San Vigilio as there are good easy slopes right by the town and plenty to progress to. Another plus is that most (virtually all around San Vigilio) the mechanical uplift is in gondolas so you can use them to come down as well as up.
However :
For any non skiers, a car would be helpful to get to leisure centre, swimming etc
It’s not the easiest resort to get to from the UK without a hire car and although transfer time from Innsbruck is ok (about 90 minutes) it can be a few hours from Munich Verona or Milan
Some folk don’t like gondolas
Not good low down after mid March (but probably ok high up which you can reach by gondola)
If you want to go to the main Dolomite areas, a car is useful

I do like it and do recommend it. Self catering in San Vigilio is good quality and the negative points I have mentioned are ones that don’t worry me
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have look at this place https://www.cervinia.it/en/inverno/home

Plenty easy blues and red runs . Quite a few of the red and blue runs run parallel with each other , so if 2 want take the blue the other 2 can take the red and still end up at the same place .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cortina fits the bill
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mike Pow, Though I like Cortina I don't really think it wil be a suitable spot for a reticent skier. The busy town, the use of ski busses and the very fragmented skiing would be a real downer for me.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
@Mike Pow, Though I like Cortina I don't really think it wil be a suitable spot for a reticent skier. The busy town, the use of ski busses and the very fragmented skiing would be a real downer for me.

Deserted, well groomed wide slopes
Plenty of blues and gentle reds
Long mileage, so you don't feel like you're stuck in the valley
Loads of fabulous coffee stops & restaurants on the slopes
Unparalleled views
Great sun record
A really nice town to stroll around
Venice down the road if the two really don't get on with the skiing

Travel to and from the slopes isn't ideal compared with ski-in ski-out but plenty of hotels have shuttles which drop you right at the snow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alleghe
Small but decent and pretty Civetta ski area (there are very nice snowheads videos from the pre birthday bash on youtube to show you just how pretty) with easy access to Marmolada and Falcade for the San Pellegrino ski areas and variety, even a Hidden Valley excursion could be done. I think I have heard mention on here of a quality hotel on the lake which is fairly Snowheads friendly! I have booked Alleghe for half term and it is very reasonably priced (One offer was 235 euros pp bed and breakfast in the garni across from the lifts but it has it's own brewery and that was a bit of a worry.....). Perhaps even Zoldo on the other side of the same ski area which has night skiing, a few hotels and ski storage at the lifts without the easy access to Marmolada
*edit* maybe not for a very early or late season trip if that is what you are planning
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if someone dont want to ski, then Cortina or Brunico (skiing in Kronplatz)
I think Cortina is a little bit better
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is great -- thank you all so much for taking the time to write. There are lots of places for me to research now. Thanks all, and here's to an interrupted winter for everyone!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wasley wrote:
Have look at this place https://www.cervinia.it/en/inverno/home

Plenty easy blues and red runs . Quite a few of the red and blue runs run parallel with each other , so if 2 want take the blue the other 2 can take the red and still end up at the same place .

I second this. Cervinia, especially if you don't go over the ridge into Zermatt is a goo resort for beginner/developing skiers. The height means its snow sure and it stays firmer longer and the pistes are wide with heaps of turning room.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Madonna di Campiglio, Brenta Dolomites might be worth a look.

The town is charming with a bit of life and the skiing is both awesome and accessible. Loads of very cruisey blues and reds, the latter of which one wouldn’t describe as majorly challenging.

One gets a good feeling of travel, especially heading to the outlying and quieter areas of Folgarida and Marilleva.

The on-mountain eating is pretty decent. There are plenty of options in the town.
snow report
Having stayed in Corvara (x 2) and Selva with a nervous OH, I would say Corvara would be your better option or even Colfosco....the whole area around Corvara is a wonder for beginners and improving their skills. Colfosco makes it easier to get direct onto the blue slopes.
Selva has more of a town feel to it than Corvara, whereas Colfosco is primarly a small village with a few restaurants, but is very quiet.
We loved the Dolomites that much, that we hopefully will be going early next year.....with the obvious covid issues permitting.
snow report
@Simon94, I suspect it was Corvara I was remembering in my comment above. A big area with blue runs, and a few reds (I particularly remember one quite satisfying one).
snow report
We love skiing in Italy. We taught the kids in passo tonale. Lots of easy stuff right on your doorstep. We stay in Ponte Di Legno which is just down the mountain and is a more traditional Italian village. The pass was the front line in ww1 and so there is plenty of history to be read about if you are into that sort of thing.

Cervinia is great also.
snow report
Cervinia for me. As a novice skier 40 years ago all the great easy and safe cruising brought my skiing on a treat. Plus at the end of the week if feeling adventurous become an international skier and go over into Switzerland. We often go to Zermatt and go over to Cervinia for a great and much cheaper lunch in either Chalet Etoile or Bontadini. Next year, COVID permitting we are going to Cervinia with my middle daughters boyfriend, who is a novice skier. Perfect in my mind.
snow conditions
Not Sauze. Sauze is great, but not for beginners at all.
latest report
If you are going early ie. December or January then the Dolomites will normally have more lifts and runs open, than other parts of Italy and is more likely to be sunny and sheltered than the west.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy