Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription Inserts for Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've finally accepted that although my prescription is minor, the reality is that my distance vision is improved when I actually wear my glasses. I love my Oakley Airbrakes so was considering using some inserts from https://www.prescriptioninserts.com/universal-prescription-skiing-insert-pi001, such as these.

Does anyone have experience?

Cheers

Rich
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@RichClark, I use a similar model (just a different shape) for distance vision. They're essential if I want to see any kind of definition in the snow ahead.

They work fine, just make sure you get an Optifog coating to prevent fogging. And make sure it's the new Optifog that only requires you wipe the inserts with a special cloth rather than rub on liquid drops.

I used to order prescription goggle lenses from Oakley but it seems I now need a slightly stronger prescription every year, which can be costly if you use two to three different goggle lenses.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@RichClark, My daughter tried prescription inserts this holiday in a pair of uvex goggles and they just steamed up, all the time, even with an anti fog coating. Now she is going to try contacts again as it didn't work.

However it may work for you?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use a combination of contact lenses and OTG goggles as back up when the contacts become a pain in the backside!
I'm in a situation where I'm as blind as a bat without some form of corrective lens so I'd rather not have to go hunting for my glasses every time I take my goggles off!

@RichClark, you sound like you're in the bracket of "glasses optional" which in my mind suits the inserts... it's got to be worth a punt if you think it could improve your skiing!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@letsgetpiste, yes, I'd describe myself as glasses optional. They help take the minor blur out.

@Zero_G, i don't seem to get a choice for optifog, but they are described as having an anti-fog coating.

There's another brand sold by RX sports that seem much more expensive. Does anyone have any direct experience with either brand?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I got inserts from a place in Albertville. They are excellent, have never steamed up despite total neglect. I have since also acquired contact lenses but often use the inserts instead, depending on what sort of day it is going to be.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, are the inserts you have made by Salice?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wear inserts, just got a new pair with anti fog coating so will see how I get on. only problem I ever had in past with fogging up was when I was stationery and would clear as soon as I moved. have a bad habit of putting them on my head and I run hot, neither of which help
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kb36, where did you get yours from?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got Smith I/O with prescription inserts with anti fog coating, first Goggles I've had with no "misting up" issues. Got them from http://www.rxsport.co.uk
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
my new ones are the same as yours, not tried them yet, also got new goggles which hopefully have better ventilation too
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@RichClark, I bought my first insert from RX Sports, which had the liquid Optifog. The insert did fog up when I was skinning uphill in hot weather in in late Spring.

I got my second insert from my optician, which is the same model (Bolle, I think) but has the newer Optifog coating, which my optician said is far superior. Since it's still very cold out on the mountain, I won't know until it gets warmer and I'm working up a sweat touring whether the newer coating won't fog.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all, I'll give them a punt and perhaps use an additional anti-fog product like Muc-off if I have any issues.

BTW - Appologies, I really should have used the search function! I'm surprised no one mentioned it Very Happy

Cheers
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RichClark wrote:
Apologies, I really should have used the search function! I'm surprised no one mentioned it Very Happy

Everyone politely ignored it in true British fashion wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So I bought a set of inserts from prescriptioninserts.com which seems to be another trading name for Spex4less.

The purchase process was very slick, they sent me out 3 sets of inserts to see which would fit my Oakleys best, I returned all three indicating my preference, attached an photo of my prescription card and returned the lot. Within 3 days, I received my inserts.

I've spent the morning walking around the house and they seem fine. Intailly it felt a little odd being so aware of the insert frame, but a few mins later is saw straight past this (poor pun intended) and they seem great. I'll try them out on the slopes in a few weeks time and update this thread, assuming that they don't fog, I'm not anticipating any issues.

Cheers

Rich

PS i have no affiliation to prescriptioninserts, but though this would be helpful for the next person that comes along asking about inserts!
snow report
My goggles and inserts were made by Bollé. Had them a few years - can't remember what they cost, but don't think they were too pricey. They made a huge difference to my confidence - amazing how much easier it is when you can see where you are going! - and they have never fogged up.
ski holidays
@LizAtk, Welcome to snowHeads!
ski holidays
Thank you!
latest report
So to close the loop on this, I've just returned from using my inserts for the past 10 days. They were excellent with zero issues with fogging. Whilst I describe myself as 'glasses optional' they made a hell of a lot of difference.

I ended up buying the PI-003 Universal Prescription Skiing Insert with fog protection for use with my Oakley Airbrakes.
latest report
@letsgetpiste, I am with you on this one, for me I would have to carry my specs around if I ever needed to take goggles off. I am thinking of going down the built in visor route, I understand the visor clears the glasses & is not a tight fit at bottom so does not steam up.
snow conditions
@RichClark, on the back of your post I also bought some PI-003 inserts for my Smith I/O goggles from www.prescriptioninserts.com. Inexpensive, simple and efficient order process - I sent them a photo of my prescription card and ordered the inserts with anti-fog yesterday. I received them today. They are really well made and fit well in my goggles. I've walked around my office with them on and after a couple of minutes I didn't notice the clear frames. I'll provide a full report after my trip next week to Puy Saint Vincent.
ski holidays
@chivdog, hope they work out for you too.
ski holidays
Perhaps an obvious question, but have short-sighted skiers considered daily disposable contacts.

I know they're not suitable for everyone and I don't usually wear them year round as my eyes get dry and sore etc. But I find them fine for skiing and handy for swtiching between goggles and sun-glasses.
snow conditions
I've always thought the inserts were a bit of a faff and that normal OTG goggle were a bit fug ugly but the Oakley launched the Canopy and the flight deck...both cracking looking goggles and are both OTG!!

been using mine for 2 years now and no issues!
snow conditions
@SlipnSlide, yes, for some reason known only to my optometrist I can't wear them.

@enduroaid, I own a pair of Smith OTG knowledge goggles - whilst they are fog free and are reasonably comfortable, they were cumbersome and seemed to trap my glasses such that whenever I took them off my glasses inevitably fell off into the snow, got caught up in between my goggles and helmet and were a bit of a faff. Eventually I gave up and skiied without my glasses, which was fine except for snowy/flat light conditions. The PI-003 inserts fit snugly in the goggle frame and after a few minutes wearing the goggles I hardly notice them. I'll see how they go.
latest report
@SlipnSlide, TBH, I've never tried contacts of any form. I tend to get tired dry\itchy eyes so have always steered clear + I'm allergic to our cats!. Perhaps I'll give lenses a go some day, because I must admit my corrected vision is certainly much better (obvious i know) but I hadn't anticipated just how much of an improvement my glasses would make.
ski holidays
chivdog wrote:
@SlipnSlide, yes, for some reason known only to my optometrist I can't wear them.

You probably have dry eyes.

If there's not enough moisture on your eyeball the lens will start to dry out. When this happens a sharp, hard edge forms and scratches the inside of your eyelid. When this happens you spend about 15 minutes sobbing at the side of the piste knowing that you need to take the lens out but fighting your reflexes that the last thing you should be doing is poking yourself in the eye. If you're really lucky when you get back up on your skis to de-mountain you're so focused trying to ski with one eye closed they you forget to blink and keep your other eye/lens well lubricated...which starts to dry out...

Needsless to say I wear goggles with prescription inserts these days!
snow report
@Mjit, phew! I'm glad my optometrist gently directed me away from contacts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Contacts do suit many people though, I wear them for sport (skiing/snowboarding/football etc) but never for day to day wear.

I don't suffer from dry eyes in the medical sense. But occasionally on the slopes a strong dry wind through the goggles can temporarily dry the lens causing it to stick slightly to eyelid and be moved off centre when blinking.

This makes things blurry, and requires a bit of frantic blinking to re-wet the lens and get it centred again. Can be a little disconcerting as a high speed schuss sometimes generates enough wind to dry the lenses - and this is not best the moment for everything to go blurred!

I found a new brand (Dailies Total1) to be much better in this respect. They are extra wet, to the point of feeling really slippy when handling them, and I haven't had a problem since changing to them. 50% more expensive, and more difficult to remove, but worth it I found.
latest report
For me sore/dry eyes with contacts are never really a problem when out on the mountain. I find the cold fresh air tends to keep them moist and a good schuss tends to make my eyes water slightly rather than dry them out.

Its usually only when I get back to the warm hotel/chalet that they start feeling a bit uncomfortable at which point I just take them out and wear my glasses. Everyones different though. I use 1-day Acuvue Moist.

I know this is a ski forum, but a word of warning for those who also do summer water sports and might consider wearing contacts for that. Its possible to get an infection if you wear contacts in the water (I once did) and opticians generally advise against it.
ski holidays
I have just returned from a fantastic day skiing in the 3vs wearing my transition varifocals. The only time I had to but my OTG's on was in flat light toward the end of the day.

OTGs are a complete faff, because they steam up if you stop, so you have to keep taking them on and off.

Does anyone use prescription sunglasses in a flat light colour like yellow or persimmon as an alternative to goggles ... Could you get away with a pair of flat light prescription sun glasses and polarised prescription sun glasses, and not bother with goggles?
snow report
@DavidYacht, I only ever wear prescription sunglasses when skiing. I have never liked wearing goggles. Only problem I have encountered is minimal eye watering at high speed.
snow report
DavidYacht wrote:
Does anyone use prescription sunglasses in a flat light colour like yellow or persimmon as an alternative to goggles ... Could you get away with a pair of flat light prescription sun glasses and polarised prescription sun glasses, and not bother with goggles?

In general it would probably be OK, but wouldn't be good if it was actually snowing or raining. Goggles would always be better for bad weather I think.
snow report
kerb wrote:
Contacts do suit many people though...

I'd actually say they suit most people, not just many. It's only a minority of us who are 'special'.
snow conditions
Review of PI-003 inserts for Smith I/O goggles from www.prescriptioninserts.com.

Order process: fast, easy and very quick delivery. The online order form allowed me to upload a photo of my prescription. The inserts arrived the next day. They appeared well made. Initially I thought they would be a little small for my goggles. This concern was allayed when I tried to insert them in my goggles and they required a bit of effort to squeeze them in. They did not move about once inserted. After a couple of minutes of wearing them in the goggles I did not notice the clear rim of the inserts. They improved my vision dramatically.

Conditions: Cold on two days, very cold and snowing heavily on the third day, very warm and sunny on the fourth, fifth and sixth days.

Performance: I initially had a few issues with the inserts coming loose if I rested my goggles on the top of my helmet - this was a result of the goggle strap being too tight and the goggles flexing too much. I loosened the strap slightly and found that the inserts did not come loose. Once inserted the inserts were a dream. I could see clearly in all conditions, they did not fog up even on the very hot and sweaty days. In flat light/snowy conditions, they were a perfect combination with the Smith i/o blue sensor low light lense.

Recommended: Highly.
latest report
@chivdog, Glad they worked out for you mate, sounds very similar to my experience.
snow conditions
Another vote for www.prescriptioninserts.com from me. I had a couple of issues, firstly a technical problem with the website and then a vision problem one lens - their customer service was excellent in both cases and their ordering / manufacturing / delivery / issue resolution very prompt indeed. On strength of their service with the inserts I have since ordered specs from their other brand (spex4less) which I've also been very happy with.
ski holidays
SlipnSlide wrote:
DavidYacht wrote:

In general it would probably be OK, but wouldn't be good if it was actually snowing or raining. Goggles would always be better for bad weather I think.

I agree I have polarised prescription vented sunglasses and they are ace for most conditions except snowing, raining, really low light levels and night.
latest report
We have been skiing snowboarding for over 35 years. The best we have come up with is the Smith Prophecy OTG turbo fan with clear prescription inserts that we get from aliexpress. We ski Australia and Japan. It's 2 speed and we use 1 x lithium AAA to run it. It lasts a massive amount of time (like weeks). These are believed to be used by US military.
Moving to integrated visor helmets seem they could also be the way to go. I've spoken to a few people that have them and they rate them up. snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/A6-pimuZzaM

http://youtube.com/v/_EKFB-I6aRo
snow report
I finally caved and picked up the Turbofans with RX inserts. It's like my whole world has changed! Was still getting some fog issues, but i found out it was because I had my balaclava tucked up into the bottom edge of the goggles (apparently a no-no for preventing fog).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy