Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Epic Pass Refund - has anyone claimed theirs yet?

Poster: A snowHead
As there is absolutely no chance of getting to Whistler in March, I have submitted my claim for a refund based on the criteria of being refused entry to Canada, and the fact the UK has a travel ban on (needs to be 30 consecutive days in the peak season, but Canada has effectively had its borders closed for 11 months now).

Reading various forums Vail have acted terribly in dealing with refunds, but all of the comments are from US citizens, and I cannot find any from Brits who have asked for a refund.

Has anyone on here submitted their request yet, and have you received anything other than the automated "one of our Agents will contact you in the next 5 days", which obviously they didn't.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dougy Giro, Remember your Epic pass is a season pass and so its possible you may have opportunity to use it before the end of the season. Vail might not start processing refunds until the seasons end - even then they might just offer the chance to defer until next season.

They may also argue that its not their fault you cant actually travel and ski, as Whistler and other Vail resorts are open and able to provide service.

I do hope Vail do the decent thing and you are successful in obtaining a refund though.
Have you looked at your travel insurance to recoup the cost ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bones wrote:
Dougy Giro, Remember your Epic pass is a season pass and so its possible you may have opportunity to use it before the end of the season. Vail might not start processing refunds until the seasons end - even then they might just offer the chance to defer until next season.

They may also argue that its not their fault you cant actually travel and ski, as Whistler and other Vail resorts are open and able to provide service.

I do hope Vail do the decent thing and you are successful in obtaining a refund though.
Have you looked at your travel insurance to recoup the cost ?

Their contract with me states I am entitled to a full refund if:
d. Travel Restrictions - Canada. You are domiciled in the State of Washington or outside of the United States and you are unable to use your Pass during the Core Season due to a government-imposed prohibition on your entry into Canada or the Province of British Columbia that affects all similarly situated travelers for thirty (30) or more consecutive days, at least seven (7) days of which are during the Core Season.

Core season started 6th December, so its 60 consecutive days in the core season already. Without this clause they would have really struggled to sell many season passes to anyone outside of the USA, and to be fair, I was fairly confident we wouldn't be allowed into Canada until Summer 2021 (even that's looking unlikely now) but with this clause in I was happy to take the chance and buy the pass anyway, on the off chance we would be allowed in to the country.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah they seem to be acting fairly shabbily at present in a season where it was clear a fair number of customers would be unable to access the resorts they bought a pass for. I'd guess they'll come through with rollover credit in the end not least because there is no surer way of losing a fair chunk of the market to Alterra than pissing off existing passholders but will probably wait until they've decided on pricing of 21/22 passes before doing any admin.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dougy Giro, Yep that should entitle you to a refund then - as Dave of the Marmottes, says though their treatment is shabby towards you and others.
I can also see they'll try and get you to roll over to next season - for some this would be acceptable. They do like to hold onto their/your cash.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1st time poster here!

I was wondering if you had received any updates? I put in an application for a refund for my Whistler pass on 3rd January with no response under the same clause of Epic Coverage as you. To be extra sure of a refund, I also included a claim under clause A "stay at home order" as a result of our UK imposed travel restrictions - technically both are valid. This clause states:

"a. Stay-at Home Order. You are unable to use your Pass during the Core Season because the municipality, county, state, province, or country in which your Permanent Residence is located is subject to a “quarantine,” “stay-at-home,” “shelter-in-place” or other comparable mandatory governmental order lasting thirty (30) or more consecutive days, at least seven (7) days of which are during the Core Season. Your “Permanent Residence” refers to your fixed, permanent and principal home for legal and tax purposes."

Having not heard back since I put in the claim, I called the Epic Coverage line yesterday and they advised that they had received my application but it had not been assigned to an agent yet. They have escalated my case to the supervisor (since it has been far more than the 5 days!) who will apparently get in touch with me within the next week. I was advised to call back next week if there has still been no contact.

I'd rather get the cash back now and re-purchase a pass next year if we decide to re-attempt a Whistler trip in 2022!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
don't really expect them. to be issuing refunds before the season is over , but canada have now extended. travel restrictions to 21st April so think you should have a chance now , I for one will be rolling mine over. to 2022 if that's an option. also check if buying full epic pass you have selected whistler. as your resort as have heard problems if not as technically could access other epic resorts
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hello all

I am also in the UK with a Tahoe local epic pass. I put in a refund claim due to the uk lockdown imposed by law that makes international travel illegal and the presidential proclamation that prevents entry into the US by people who have been in the UK in the last 14 days. Both of these appear to be covered but I am met with delaying tactics and obfuscation by the claims Management Company employed by Vail Resorts Management Company.

Katfc do you have the number you called? All emails have gone unanswered. I’ll post an update here when I have one
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bones wrote:

I can also see they'll try and get you to roll over to next season - for some this would be acceptable. They do like to hold onto their/your cash.

That’s not unique to Vail, is it?Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I am met with delaying tactics and obfuscation by the claims Management Company employed by Vail Resorts Management Company.

Share those tactics you have encountered and how you dealt with. It may help others to speed up their claims.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Share those tactics you have encountered and how you dealt with. It may help others to speed up their claims.

When I contact epic pass (via the chat function) they claim they have no ability so see or ask about the status of claims. Vail Resorts Management Company simply ignore e mails completely. American Claims Management Say they will contact you within a certain time and they repeatedly do not.

Vail Resorts Management Company says that decisions about claims are made by ACM. The binding agreement we all signed is with Vail Resorts Management Company. If ACM's decisions breach the binding agreement, Vail cannot avoid responsibility for this.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm still trying to get something back from my Whistler season's pass for 2019/20, when I had to cancel my booking due to travel restrictions + mandatory 14d quarantine last year.

Vail resorts were offering the option to repurpose it for 20/21, which again, was no use to me. I queried whether i could get it held over for 21/22, but have failed to elicit any form of reply from them.

Before the VR takeover, WB were very amenable about refunds and transferring credit to following years.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
About 5 weeks from me now and I still haven't been contacted. Looking at some Facebook groups the only person who has had a refund so far, who posts in the groups, is a pregnant woman!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also from the UK, booked to go to Whistler for Easter. BA cancelled flights on weekend, phoned this morning and refund being processed this week - much better than last years experience.
Booked 4 x 10 days Whistler Blackcomb day pass with epic coverage.
Called this number today 1-877-895-1297 took every possibly bit of detail from me, including why are you applying - guess they need to ask the question.
Told my request is now lodged and will get a call in 5-8 days from an agent advising next steps.
Not 100% what I was expecting but some progress and guess season not over - well for me it is.
Will update when I hear more.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Told my request is now lodged and will get a call in 5-8 days from an agent advising next steps.

Unless you're very lucky, you are unlikely to hear anything in that time frame.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 24-02-21 1:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Cancelled my two trips to Canada on 17 Jan.

BA refunded my flights and hotel the same day. Air Canada also refunded immediately.

Easycar took five weeks.

I've had no more than an acknowledgement email from Epic.

I'm minded to avoid Vail resorts next year. Based on my experience and the reports above, they aren't trustworthy.
snow report
I guess my case resembles that pregnant woman. Wink

Received an email my refund had been approved and a cheque should be on its way.

The trick is to get to the point that I got a claim #, and a real person (name, phone #, email address) being assigned to the claim. To get to that point took some doing. But once a claim # is at my hand, and an adjuster was assigned, it went reasonably smoothly. Or I should say, like a typical insurance claim process, instead of the bottomless pit called Vail.
snow conditions
Submitted claim online on 20th Jan - got confirmation email of request and told that I would be contacted within 5 days ( Eh oh! ) ...and still heard nothing... Followed up with email to ACM on 7th Feb.... here we are on 25th Feb and still no communication whatsoever... pretty shocking customer service. Never had customer service problems when it was just Whistler/Blackcomb dealing with the passes. Grateful for any tips on how to move things forward!
ski holidays
I bought mine through a UK travel agent - it was cheaper that way - and they have been much more helpful than ACM.

First they sent us detailed instructions on how to claim including suggested wording for each section of the claim form. Then, yesterday, they emailed to say that they had reached agreement with AMC to pursue claims on behalf of all their UK clients, which should expedite progress and reduce any need for me to chase.

So no cash yet, but at least I have someone working on my behalf.
snow report
@Jonny Jones, I think the problem is Vail.

I filed my claim online 4 weeks ago. 2 weeks later, I called to check the status. Was told ACM haven't got any information from Vail yet. In other words, as far as ACM was concerned, I haven't filed a claim with them yet! Shocked

So I filed the claim AGAIN! This time with ACM. Promptly got a claim # and an adjuster assigned (phone #, email and all). I gave my adjuster a week. Then called again leaving a message I had filed the claim 3 weeks prior (with Vail, granted, but it's not my job to distinguish the 2 entities). That was enough to triggered a form sent to me, to be filled out by my doctor. Once the form was filled out, I got another email the same day refund was approved.

Granted, my claim was for "personal event", which is a little different from pandemic related travel restrictions. Still, many others filing similar claim weren't being contacted because Vail never forwarded the claim to ACM at all!
snow report
What number did you contact them on?
snow conditions
The Vail main number +1 (970) 754-0005

You have to navigate the menu thing, but stick to refund, it eventually connected me to the insurance company.
snow conditions
Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
Did anyone get their refund yet? Mine has been approved but they are now dragging their heels on actually returning the funds - back to no replies again.
ski holidays
So I received a letter today from the claims company, saying they are investigating claim, and to submit documentation asked for in the previous letter.

Of course I haven’t received an earlier letter or a request for supporting documentation. What bloody documents could they require!! Canada border has been closed since last summer and we haven’t been allowed to leave the U.K. under a stay at home order for months!

Any one else received such a letter or been asked to provide documents. Just feels like further delaying tactics from these shysters
snow report
Hi Dougy Giro

This is the email I sent to them that led to them approving my claim. It cites UK law that prevents travel for leisure and provides a link to the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office advice. I also provide a link to the presidential proclamation suspending entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the Schengen Area including the United Kingdom. Is these something similar for Canada?

They have approved my claim but have not yet returned my funds and are now ignoring all contact regarding the return of the funds

Dear American Claims Management

I recently submitted a ski pass refund request (confirmation number above). I received an automated response stating that someone would contact me within 5 business days. This has not happened. Epic pass has informed me that my passes have been inactivated.

I have submitted a refund request following the binding agreement between myself and the Vail Corporation d/b/a Vail Resorts Management Company which provided epic coverage when the pass holder is prevented from using the Pass during the Core Season due to a “Qualifying Personal Event”.

Two “Qualifying Personal Events” apply to me and my family:

a. Stay-at Home Order. You are unable to use your Pass during the Core Season because the municipality, county, state, province, or country in which your Permanent Residence is located is subject to a “quarantine,” “stay-at-home,” “shelter-in-place” or other comparable mandatory governmental order lasting thirty (30) or more consecutive days, at least seven (7) days of which are during the Core Season. Your “Permanent Residence” refers to your fixed, permanent and principal home for legal and tax purposes.

I live in the UK. Since 4th January 2021 the UK has been in a full national lockdown which means people can only leave their home for essential purposes. This is a legal requirement enshrined in The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (All Tiers) (England) Regulations 2020. As such the UK government Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office says this:

Under current UK COVID-19 restrictions, you must stay at home. You must not travel, including abroad, unless you have a legally permitted reason to do so. It is illegal to travel abroad for holidays and other leisure purposes.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa

Thus, we are under mandatory legal orders to stay at home. We risk a criminal conviction if we leave home for leisure travel.

The second ‘Qualifying Personal Event’ from our binding agreement with Vail Corporation d/b/a Vail Resorts Management Company that applies to me and my family is:

c. Travel Restrictions - United States. You are unable to use your Pass during the Core Season due to a government-imposed prohibition on your entry into the United States that affects all similarly situated travelers for thirty (30) or more consecutive days, at least seven (7) days of which are during the Core Season.

On 25th January a Presidential proclamation was issued which extend the previous presidential proclamation of 14th March 2020:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/25/proclamation-on-the-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-non-immigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease/

It states:

I have determined that it is in the interests of the United States to take action to restrict and suspend the entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens of the United States (“noncitizens”) who were physically present within the Schengen Area, the United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), the Republic of Ireland, the Federative Republic of Brazil, and the Republic of South Africa during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States.

Suspension and Limitation on Entry. (a) The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the Schengen Area, the United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), the Republic of Ireland, and the Federative Republic of Brazil during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States, is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.

Thus, if we were to travel to the US, we would be denied entry as we would have travelled from the UK.

Both of these events have lasted thirty (30) or more consecutive days, at least seven (7) days of which are during the Core Season. Thus we qualify for a refund under Vail Resorts’ refund policy.

I would be grateful if you could let me know when my refund, in line with this agreement, will be processed.
latest report
Also try filing a complaint or submitting a review here:

https://www.bbb.org/us/co/broomfield/profile/ski-resorts/vail-resorts-management-company-1296-8003882
snow report
Vick wrote:
Did anyone get their refund yet? Mine has been approved but they are now dragging their heels on actually returning the funds - back to no replies again.

Yes. I received the refund last week, as promised "within 2 weeks" of approval. I'm in the US though.

Because ACM isn't Vail, they're not going to refund the money to your credit card. They're sending a paper cheque. With the current lack of international flights, your letter will take a lot longer to get to UK.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I submitted claim under the same clause (WA resident + border closure) at end of December, and after multiple pings, heard back today that 'my claim has been accepted and it would take another 2 weeks for processing'... Not sure why they make it this difficult. Penny wise pound foolish. Now I'd think real hard before I take the 21/22 pass unless the borders open up.
snow report
Phoned the call line last night at 2030 U.K. time. Connected at 2055 to the YTS who I assume must have started work two hours earlier.

Despite ACM/ AMC whatever issuing me a letter with the claim reference this fella couldn’t find any details, after being put on hold 3 times for 5-10 minutes I was told he would raise an escalation to Customer Services.

I asked how soon would I be contacted, 2 hours or 2 weeks, “yes 2 weeks” or maybe 3 weeks Smile

I know for a fact I will be calling them again in 3 weeks
snow report
Hi everyone
We live in Uk and submitted a refund request for two epic local passes last December . For obvious reason we couldn’t get to USA. I received an email saying someone would contact me within 5 days. This didn’t happen.
I emailed several times with no replies then got an letter in January to acknowledge receipt of my claim and asking for required documentation ??? This letter had a name and email address so I emailed asking what doucmentation ? I received an email on 9 Feb to say our refund had been accepted and it would be processed the next week. We have heard nothing since and haven’t received a refund . I have sent a further 7 emails to every related email address and to Vail resorts and not one single reply . At great cost I have tried to phone but in an endless queue . I once got voicemail of our loss adjuster and pleaded with him to reply to our email or phone .... to date nothing ! I have never experienced customer service like this and feel it’s hopeless as I have tried everything . Anyone know what’s going on with Vail resorts or ACM
snow conditions
I have phoned them a couple of times, each agent has been varying shades of useless. I think they confirmed I was getting a refund and would hear in 2-5 weeks.

Sign up for a free month of US access on Skype and call them on the tinternet, it’s only £2.40 a month after that too.

I expect to call them many more times as I am sure they have employed Pedro off Napoleon Dynamite to take my calls
snow report
Anyone had an email from vail payments via acm asking for bank details for refund , I thought it would be returned to card or Acc credit
Mine looks a little iffy but has the claim number etc correct
??
latest report
That’s what I would expect, those on the States get a cheque I think
snow report
Dabber wrote:
Anyone had an email from vail payments via acm asking for bank details for refund , I thought it would be returned to card or Acc credit
??

When did you apply for your refund by the way?
snow conditions
@Dougy Giro, march 4th
ski holidays
Dabber wrote:
@Dougy Giro, march 4th

You have progressed further than me and I submitted mid January
ski holidays
@Dougy Giro, that's why I was a bit wary , as it stands im in canada now waiting for quarantine period to end , and Murphy's law they've closed Whistler so could use pass if id wanted to , going to ring them direct to check validity
snow report
Dabber wrote:
??

Yep - ha one a couple of days ago so looks legit. Apparently any discount from the shortened 19/20 will be rolled over, too, with notifications being sent out over the next month or so.
latest report
@Jonny Jones, thanks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy