Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

December skiing in England?

Poster: A snowHead
For the last year or so, I've been wanting to take a trip up north to go to a one of the tiny resorts in England for a day or two, but the only time I'd be able to go is in December, as I'm out of the uk skiing for the whole season. (No boasting there!) I was wondering whether any ski hills would be open in England by mid-late December. I know that snow conditions are extremely changeable, but would there be any chance of a lift running by that time of the year? If so, any recommendations where to go?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is this a parody post?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Raptor23 wrote:
Is this a parody post?
Nope. I have very little knowledge of skiing in England. I do apologise if the answer is blindingly obvious, and I'm taking up precious space on the forum, i just simply don't know much about this. (Why I'm posting on SH.)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The weather in the Uk is extremely fickle. Reliable snow cover is never guaranteed and the lift facilities only exist because of the efforts of enthusiastic members over many decades and grant support from various bodies.
Here is a link to the English skiing thread and links to the ski club websites.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153411

There are no ski ‘resorts’ in England just a few ski tows on hillsides where skiing sometimes take place!

Last year there were two days at Yad Moss in December when the tow ran and then a day in January before the club had to shut down because of movement restrictions.
Last week there were three days of skiing at Raise in May!
But beware, English skiing is a very different prospect from almost anywhere else. At Raise it’s an hour and a half and 2000 feet of ascent just to reach the tow.
Read the club websites and you will get an insight into this slightly eccentric world snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jakey, "resorts", in "England" ...

Where did you get that idea from?

A few locals with a mobile rope tow is not a "resort".
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe behind a paywall but this is a nice article about skiing in England

https://www.ft.com/content/81cb52c7-efd8-4bad-86fe-e2f830005a3f
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The only people who go skiing in England are locals as the snow is so unpredictable (carpe diem).

...and nutters, obviously Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Orange200 wrote:
The only people who go skiing in England are locals as the snow is so unpredictable (carpe diem).

...and nutters, obviously Smile
Well that suits me down to the ground, I'm arguably the most stupid/idiotic skier there is. I was thinking about booking a hotel the night before I go, and checking the webcams and snow reports every day before then. I know that they're not really a resort, and it probably won't be 'good' skiing, but I've always preferred weirder odder places to ski rather than the bigger more normal places.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jakey, to answer your question specifically, I would say "low chance, but possible" for the likelihood of somewhere opening in mid December. As for where to go - depends on where's open! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jakey, I'm sure it can happen. Not that I have personally tried any of those locations. About 10 years ago there was snow at the beginning of November which took a long time to clear - in fact round here it was still present in shaded north-facing locations at Christmas. (I remember it well, I had managed to break my wrist in a cycling accident and needed to wait in the snow for a bus to work).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This year the Lake District ski club had the latest lift served skiing in Europe. In some years the Pennine clubs have had the earliest. This is an advantage of using volunteers to run facilities, there is no limit from an opening or closing date Laughing
England however remains part of a larger island in the Atlantic that is not renowned for its snowy winter weather so early skiing remains unpredictable.

English skiing has been compared to English wine. It does exist, it can be very good sometimes but there are much better places to do it. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow in November and December in Wales every winter

Hike only

From a couple of cms of frost to knee deep powder and everything in between
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski Rossendale is open quite a bit. Just go there and wait for snow. It almost never happens, but it does happen sometimes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I put some info together here https://greghilton.co.uk/skiing-snowboarding-in-england/

Where would you be travelling from? Scottish resorts probably higher probability of being open, but UK weather is fickle !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kitenski, I'll be travelling from the South east of England, although distance doesn't really matter, I'm willing to drive through any distance if there's skiing involved!
latest report
Head south.
ski holidays
@Jakey, as has been oft-quoted on here, the French Alps are probably quicker to reach than the Cairngorms!
latest report
@Jakey, *when travelling from the south east of England
latest report
Snowsartre wrote:
Very good point there. Is it right? Yes. Do I still want to ski in England? Yes. Am I an unbelievably stupid person for wanting to do so? Probably. Very Happy
snow report
You could have done it two weeks ago...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-57011369

You just need to be constantly looking at weather reports, drop everything at a moments notice and get up there.
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
Even from North Wales!
snow conditions
Quote:
A few locals with a mobile rope tow is not a "resort"
There's nothing mobile or rope tow-esque about the permanent/proper button tows at Weardale, Yad Moss and Raise under a new name wink There are two such tows at Weardale and one each at Raise and Yad Moss.

Nor is it locals only. Last time we were at Weardale, we spoke to members who lived about 70 miles away. I'm also aware that Yad Moss has had a family that drove up from the south east of England and who were instant converts to the delights of North Pennines snow.

Those who have never been may indeed scoff at the prospect but there's something so special about skiing in England - arguably even more so after a 2 hour walk up to Raise....We've been very fortunate to have had some absolutely amazing snow conditions in the Pennines and Lake District over the years (and yes, even some pretty marginal conditions too!).

Maybe it is something for diehards - though it appears that Jakey may well come into the that category wink

In my experience of 20-odd years of North Pennines skiing, I'd say there's more than an even chance of lifts spinning next December - it can only need a few cm of snow, given the grassy nature of the slopes. November skiing is not unknown either. Weardale opened on 5th & 28th December in 2020 - and we ski toured there (with the lifts off) on the 4th and 8th as well.

Here's opening day on 4.12.20 Very Happy

ski holidays
And for those who didn't see the excellent Ski Sunday feature on Weardale... Very Happy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/winter-sports/55737499
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy