Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and February School Holidays?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am working through a variety of ski trip scenarios for 2022. I'm considering a week in Zermatt. And am looking at February.

But I have to wonder, is Zermatt impacted by school holidays or schulferien, to the same degree as the major resorts of Austria or France?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Comparisons are difficult. But certainly Zermatt is very busy with families during the month of February.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In my experience, Zermatt is much quieter than the French resorts at Feb half term. I think the additional cost of skiing in Switzerland results in many UK families being priced out.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cost of feeding a family on the mountain would make a grown man cry !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Our experience also is that Swiss resorts don't get as crowded at Feb half term as places like France. And although expensive, for the UK half term week (when daughter was still at school) they worked out similar to France. You need to be very careful choosing restaurants for your budget though!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If your kids don’t require fine dinning at lunch time, you can get off by packing lunch and eating on the hill. We used to send our kids to the store every morning with instructions to buy the weirdest looking salami, the smelliest cheese, rolls, oranges, dried fruit and lots of chocolate. I’d carry the lunch material along with water bottles and tea in a rucksack and scout out a likely lunch spot during the morning. Sometimes I’d park the pack and retrieve it at lunchtime. There are summer hiking benches everywhere. In less desirable weather, the lee side of a building worked, or take we’d take a run down closer to town to find a better (less windy, warmer, sunnier) spot.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@choucas, Quite a few Swiss resorts have picnic areas within the bowels of the lift station buildings
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DCG wrote:
@choucas, Quite a few Swiss resorts have picnic areas within the bowels of the lift station buildings

Zermatt used to, but they've gradually disappeared over the years. As a 'halfway house', a well-stacked, help-yourself mixed salad goes a long way, especially with a Secret Sandwich or two..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This was a long time ago in Zermatt. I have been known to build a secret sandwich or two off the hotel breakfast buffet when trying to keep costs down or if headed off on a long day's tour. As an American, it took me a few years to figure out that a day of skiing was not complete without a cappuccino break(s), a relaxed lunch, and a late day adult beverage(s) on the last run. I'm a slow learner.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
caughtanedge wrote:
DCG wrote:

Zermatt used to, but they've gradually disappeared over the years.

Yep. They have all gone now. There is one over on the Italian side at Plan Maison but that is it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@caughtanedge, @JohnMo, That's a pity. It always struck me as being a very responsible thing to do to provide such facilities. Even so, I imagine you could hunker down in one of the large corridors in Trockener Steg to eat a sandwich if the conditions outside were too fierce
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Indeed. There used to be a rudimentary 'hors sac' area at Trockner Steg, but I think it disappeared with the new Klein Matterhorn gondola. There was also one bench near the exit facing Breithorn but I think even that might have been tidied away.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy