Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guess where? couloirs/pitches/descents (not just resort)

Poster: A snowHead
At extremebob’s suggestion - something for those not content with the too-broad geography of “Guess another ski area” can come here to guess at metre-wide pitches and couloirs.

We’ll start off with an easily lift-accessed cluster of couloirs and pitches - happy guessing:
Spot of bother image posting - will be back soon

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 3-02-21 9:28; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

- fingers crossed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Grinning, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is it the Tufs couloirs, Tignes?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm sorry now that I just used up two of my best couloir photos. My trouble is I have not been photographing much the last few years when skiing.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 2-02-21 13:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not Tufs or tignes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From L to R I would say

45, 40, 35, 40

but that's a guess
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball wrote:
I'm sorry now that I just used up two of my best couloir photos. My trouble is I have not been photographing much the last few years when skiing.

We’ll just have to get out there when we can and dedicate our days to photographing couloirs, or ... we could just go skiing snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No, sorry, I don't seem able to remember those (or perhaps I haven't skied there)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is that above Avoriaz, skiing back down into the French side?

Edit: I don't recall any trees there mind.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 2-02-21 17:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grinning wrote:
... We’ll just have to get out there when we can and dedicate our days to photographing couloirs, or ... we could just go skiing snowHead
The problem, I'd say, is how to photograph them so they actually look steep.
That's not supposed to be rude, I'm just pointing out that it's not as easy as one may think, to show the correct steepness in ski photography.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@philwig, I think we are trying to guess the location rather than have a Gnar/steep competition.
@snowball,'s shots looked steep - this to-be-guessed collection don't look that steep but come in around 30+ and are prone to self-purging.
@Csb123, not Avoriaz or PDS - yes, those are trees and they mark the tree line Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grinning wrote:
@philwig, I think we are trying to guess the location rather than have a Gnar/steep competition.

ahh by pitch I thought you mean steepness, maybe you should modify the title?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
Grinning wrote:

@davidof, I wondered why you were quoting numbers. Tried to turn them into Lat/Long coordinates but mid-Atlantic.
I didn't want to limit the "Spotting" thread to just couloirs so extended it to cover also interesting *pitches* - if i can work out how, I'll amend title from *pitches* to *descents* but you must promise not to guess the vertical drop in metres?
[edit] - can't see how to amend thread title, any clues? - thanks
ski holidays
L2A
snow report
Grinning wrote:
can't see how to amend thread title, any clues?

From what I've read elsewhere, if you edit your first post, it allows you to change the title.
snow report
Grinning wrote:
davidof wrote:
Grinning wrote:

@davidof, I wondered why you were quoting numbers.

I think pitch is a good term really, you should leave it, just me being dense.
latest report
@Grandma Sunshine, not L2A -
latest report
motyl wrote:
Grinning wrote:
can't see how to amend thread title, any clues?

From what I've read elsewhere, if you edit your first post, it allows you to change the title.

Thanks - works well!
latest report
West face of Solaise, Val d'Isere?
latest report
Spot on @rambotion, - your go

ski holidays
Spot on @rambotion, - your go

ski holidays
Damn, I should have thought of that
ski holidays
Grinning wrote:
...this to-be-guessed collection don't look that steep but come in around 30+ and are prone to self-purging...
That was in specific response to a point about photographing couloirs[1].

As I said, I think the problem with precisely that is that photographing couloirs to show the steepness which is one of their key characteristics is much harder than it looks.
You can probably manage to work out why that's relevant without further assistance.

----
[1] Couloir, is a narrow gully with a steep gradient in a mountainous terrain.
snow report
Hi @philwig, I’ve done what I can to change the thread title so as not to confuse. Not trying to make people guess the steepness/angle of the pitches, only their locations (not just resort).
I totally agree photographing couloirs/pitches/descents to determine or demonstrate their steepness would be extremely hard.
@rambotion, You’re up
latest report

Just about fulfills the criteria of couloir, would be the classic of the area if it wasn't for the wall, I just refer to this by the name of the hill, not sure if the couloir has a name, but a general description will do. For scale, I am the black dot just above the wall.
ski holidays
I am guessing Lake District, but I don't know the area well enough. Similarly, could be Wales. Not specific enough, I know. Tempting to construct a ramp at the low point of the wall, at least as a fantasy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowball, I would have liked to have built a ramp but the photo is a bit misleading and the height of the wall on uphill side is huge, bigger than I felt than could build with the limited resources available. Also, not sure how my knees would have coped with the UK snow landing
snow report
Oh OK, looked like almost a gap to skier's left, but perhaps that is an invisible gate. Still, a good slope just to the wall. I'd settle for that right now if I were only allowed to travel (in which case, though, I would be in Scotland)
snow conditions
I don't get the impression anyone who knows your hill is looking at the thread. Could you give us hint or two (or the answer)
snow report
@rambotion, the Dodds?
ski holidays
Hillside looks familiar with the 2 diagonal paths... Edale?

I'll be shocked if it is.
snow report
Yes, the Dales look feasible. Really it is a bit like so many places in general shape.
ski holidays
@adithorp, prepare to be shocked, you are correct, the photo is taken from The Rambler Inn looking at Grindslow Knoll
ski holidays
@rambotion, Wow really didn't expect that to be right Shocked
I'd heard of people skiing the gully down MamTor on rare occations but really was a guess.

Given the small amount of off piste I've done, that does leave me with an issue of lack of photos... Not sure of the name for this one so the lift to access the area will do...

PS. @snowball, Edale is PeakDistrict not 'Dales
snow conditions
@adithorp, hum... that wouldn't be round my way by any chance ? wink
snow report
sucette wrote:
@adithorp, hum... that wouldn't be round my way by any chance ? wink

Couloir Banane?
ski holidays
@Claude B, not unless there more than one.
snow conditions
At La Grave Chancel side
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy