Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Snowdome at Weston Super Mare - is full steam ahead!!

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like the new Weston Supermare Snowdome is full steam ahead!!

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Leisuredome-RAF-camp/story-14189100-detail/story.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doesn't look very dome-like though Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking good...

I'd be interested to know.... in a perfect World i'd like to work as an Instructor in the Summer and Autumn here, and then a Winter Season away working in the Mountains. Is this a feasable dream? Do other Instructors do this at other Snow Domes?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spud, you should talk to Robrar.

I'm stoked with this one lads, there'll be one customer for sure when I'm visiting the folks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thepirate, Good news, thanks for the update.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spud, they do, but that is what a lot of other instructors want to do, so you may got full time work.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rogg, my son and family live not far from Weston - can't wait to get the kids there. snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1 wrote:
spud, they do, but that is what a lot of other instructors want to do, so you may got full time work.

Well beggars can't be choosers. wink

If i could get part time work in the Summer and Autumn i'd be over the moon.

I also hope they start a Race Club. I'm doing my Race Certificate in Canada this season, so would like to put that to good use too.

Living not so far away...this would be ideal.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ooooh I missed the bit about 'indoor surfing'. I guess it will be a flowrider? Might have to have a go at that too. Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spud, The guy who's building the Weston dome has kids who race, so I'd be a bit surprised if a race club doesn't develop quite quickly.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How long does it usually take to build something like this given there are no delays? If they start it in the New Year any ideas when it might be ready to use? I can't remember how long the one at Hemel took to be completed Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VolklAttivaS5, Hemel was almost exactly a year, including ripping out the old dry slope and building the new one.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, ok thanks, not too long then Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anybody know about one at Southampton - there was talk of a site being located ..... nothing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On it. I'll be there on a regular basis. Both the Indys and Bacons are going to get some use out of this one. If it gets a decent club going you never know, I might even end up on some dodgy XL15xOvercutSuperPRORiserplateRPMbudgiesmugglerSL slalom horrors, ploughing straight into gates and realigning my nose. Look forward to seeing the results. Very Happy
snow conditions
Great news - I'll definitely be there Very Happy
ski holidays
spud wrote:
Looking good...

I'd be interested to know.... in a perfect World i'd like to work as an Instructor in the Summer and Autumn here, and then a Winter Season away working in the Mountains. Is this a feasable dream? Do other Instructors do this at other Snow Domes?

...thats what I do but there is a lot of competition for not much work (relatively) in the Summer months - so be warned. The more qualified you are the better your chance of being able to make it work!
snow report
spud, Maybe get yourself qualified to teach climbing too.
snow report
Laughing Nice idea...but me and climbing are like oil and water...they don't mix. Hiking yes...Climbing no. At 6' 1'' and 15 stone, i'm more of a rugby players build. These climbers are wirey little folk.
The surfing sounds interesting. I had a go on the flow rider on a Cruise ship. I soon found body boarding is more up my street too. Laughing
snow conditions
According to the local press (i live in WsM) it should be ready early 2013. Nice to know about the race club though, hoping my LO takes to skiing (he's two in Jan, so skiing next year). I also belive that most of the Instructor jobs have been filled already, one of the instructors at Churchill informs me.
snow conditions
Has anybody read the comment by Richard34 that the bottom of this article Puzzled
snow report
I live in the west country (Somerset) - so if this does happen - happy days!! Smile

It's about time for us yokels to get some facilities!
snow report
Yes, but Richard34 is being a kill joy, or he can see intot he future, and make newspaper headlines. March 2012 headlines?
Richard34, if you are out there, what's this Friday EuroMillions numbers plesae, then i can buy a small ski resort, or fund the WsM fridge myself.
latest report
rob@rar, But Hemel is a bit different in that it's built on a hill, not building the hill in a building. Surly that Hemel would have been quicker and easier to build.
ski holidays
ricfrench, yes, they're different. I have no idea how long WSM will take to construct.
latest report
I too live in Weston. Must have been a slow news day as all that info was printed in our local rag weeks ago. Construction was due to begin now (Dec 2011), but there have been some delays. However, they don't think it will affect the schedule and it is still due to open Spring 2013. I believe construction should start early next year, but LeisureDome are being tight lipped about dates.

Also, it is being built on a slight hill, which will help a little. The RAF base that was there sat in a depression.

I really hope this gets going as I'd hate to see it fail when it's so close. It's only 5 mins from my house and would be great to get my daughter skiing well. She also really likes climbing walls. It's win win win in my house snowHead
snow report
I was searching for any news to how things are progressing. Can anyone in Weston-super-mare tell me whether they've actually started work on the site yet, any diggers digging?
ski holidays
I drive very close almost every day, but you can't see from the main road. If I have time I'll see if I can swing by. I doubt anything is happening as I would imagine their website will have some info as soon as they start.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi m00958, if you could that would be great. It's that it seems to of gone very quiet lately and they did say that building would start around about now.
ski holidays
anyone have any update on this??
snow report
I heard that none of the indoor slopes planned currently have full funding.
snow conditions
I've been trying to find more info on this. Not much luck.

Design of slope can be found here : http://wam.n-somerset.gov.uk/MULTIWAM/doc/Plan-1985758.pdf?extension=.pdf&id=1985758&location=Volume4&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1

Rumors on other forums suggest that residents in Locking (location of the proposed dome) have been told that work will start in the summer.
ski holidays
no they havent started work, its due to be this summer. I beleive there is a funding issue, but dont know any details.
ski holidays
Latest news from Local press.

"Clothing retailers Ellis Brigham and Tog 24 have joined AngelBerry, Avalon Leisure and Tiny Tearawayz in signing up.

The five firms will join international food giants Subway, Butcombe Brewery and SoHo Coffee at the former RAF Locking site.

The multi-million pound complex, due to be completed by the end of next year, will include a 210-metre ski slope and a 40-metre indoor climbing wall.

A ‘simulated ice rink’, a laser game area, an activity zone and a soft play area will also be built, alongside the country’s largest indoor ski slope and the world’s biggest indoor climbing wall.

Local businessman Clive Hamilton-Davies, who is behind the project, admitted the process of getting retailers to sign up had proved trickier than he first envisaged.

Mr Hamilton-Davies said: “We have been optimistic about timescales. Given the diverse nature of the opportunities and activities offered at the Leisuredome, the negotiations with prospective tenants and the use of consultants necessitated by a development of this size, has taken considerably longer than we first envisaged.

“However, things are progressing very well and we now have over 65 per cent of tenants in place.”

Bit dissappointed about the completion date, drove by the other day and no work started, believe this will start in the summer.
snow report
stew72,

Thanks for the update. It looks quite promising, however I daren't believe it until it actually opens!
snow conditions
Sweet, it's gonna have a Butcombe pub or something? Awesome!

Wtf is a simulated ice rink? Is it that horrible plastic stuff that doesn't work?
ski holidays
Couldn't agree more, as with most things in this climate, until i pay my money and go in i'm always dubious. Obviously i'll keep driving by every so often, and if i see anything further in the local press i'll post it.
ski holidays
bobmcstuff,

Let's hope it's not simulated Butcombe as well!
snow report
ellis brigham a clothing retailer, ok not what i would have called them, but things obviously didnt go well with Snow and Rock then!! Butcombe have been spreading into pubs recently opened the old imperial in town , bet they love being called an 'international food giant' bit DM there Cool

Lets keep our fingers crossed we get a start in the summer
snow report
They've got a few pubs in Bristol too which are decent.

Haven't seen them around so much since I moved up North, it's always nice to go home (between Bristol and W-S-M) and get a decent pint of Butcombe.

Have to say Bath Ales are better though Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy