Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunshine Village closed due to freezing temperatures!

Poster: A snowHead
Due to temperatures as low as -37 Celsius, Sunshine is closed for at least a day!!! Skullie
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This happens quite often in January and early February so I’ve noticed.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not uncommon. I've been in Banff on a similar day. All hills closed for safety and browsing the shops meant less than 30 secs outside at a time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My friend took a group of British travel agents there some years ago. As it was a tourist industry trip they were treated to corporate hospitality while the temperature lifted from -38 to a balmy -30° at which point they were let out to ski.
This was at Sunshine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last season Big White stayed open at minus 38, but most people stayed home. It happens. Pretty good news really as the earlier weather pattern was much too warm.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had -35 C at Sunshine. So cold the wax failed and we were having to pole downhill.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I avoid Banff in Jan for this reason
Late Feb/March for me! Even then it can be minus 20C and that’s enough for me.
Great powder at those temps but it’s bloomin’ cold.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm in Kicking horse at the moment, and it is shut today too. Chairlifts here shut at -25 and the gondola at -30C. Pretty sensible as it is dangerously cold.
It was just above that yesterday and was ok for a few runs, but definitely quite sticky - on a traverse could sort of skin up without skins! snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m sure I remember skiing Banff at -20 or 25 when I was young and eager. But it was also when I dressed in thick salopettes with fleece trousers underneath and 1 or even 2 thermal leggings. Now I just have my thin Rossignol trousers and one pair leggings (and a couple of layers less on top too). No wonder I was damn cold there last time when it dropped to perhaps -12. We had to come into a cafe for at least an hour to warm up again.

I spent 3 years in living in Moscow and Mongolian winters. People ask what does it feel like, the difference between -15 and -30. I say apart from sticky blinking, you don’t feel the difference immediately, “oh feels about -20” it’s only a question about how quickly your body loses heat and you have to go somewhere and warm up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Currently -40degC at Calgary Springbank airport, 2 miles from my little bruvs.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
'Remembers when I first ever arrived in Calgary and the dry cold (it was about -15 I think) went straight through me, my perception of cold has never been the same since!' Skullie
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds a bit snowflakery.

Warmup with some starjumps and you're good to go wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Seems like the closures are all weekend and all nearby ski areas - Jasper closed yesterday and had temps down to -51 this morning.
Never go Jan for this reason, always late Feb / March trips

Other news - SSV is getting a covered 6 man chair next season, to replace a 4 man Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whistler looks virtually closed too
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Big White closed for the day earlier too.
snow conditions
When they call it 'Sunshine Village' you know they're trying to kid you
snow report
And it ain't just the Great White North either. Almost the entire continental US will be below freezing this weekend, and 55 million people will be below zero. At midday its a sunny 19f on my porch, half a mile from the ocean (Puget Sound).
snow report
Well it's -31C and ice is forming in the inside of my triple glazed windows here in Calgary so I'm glad they just shut everything down. To quote the mountain rescue "Even a minor thing can quickly become a big thing in these temperatures"

https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/local-news/two-skiers-with-frozen-feet-and-hypothermia-rescued-from-fitzsimmons-creek-overnight-8099766
snow report
This is colder than usual. They say yesterday was the lowest daytime high since 2004. Its pretty cold. Dogs are feeling it going outside for a pee. Usually they can cope with anything, as long as the younger one has booties. We had to take them to pet store yesterday for their walk, because their faces are freezing and they can get frostbite (as can we)
snow report
Big White closed on Jan 12, but partly open today (Jan 13). Looks like lower lifts only. Similar at SunPeaks on Thursday.
snow report
We were at Lake Louise either Christmas 2004 or 2005 and saw daily temperatures of -30, I managed to dislocate my thumb putting my ski boots on.
ski holidays
Yeah it’s not pleasant skiing at that sort of temps as we discovered last year at Big White but everyone is sensible about it. Announcements made and some lifts don’t run in case they break as being sat exposed at -40 isn’t fun.

We did 40 mins on, 30 mins warming up with hot chocolate in cafe and repeated throughout the day. They tend to cancel night skiing as well on this -40 days.
snow conditions
@Neil.c, I remember needing to sit in the café at the bottom of Sunshine with hubby for absolutely ages waiting for his boots to warm up, as he'd left them in the boot of the hire car while he drove there. Kids were not happy at having to wait.
latest report
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
And it ain't just the Great White North either. Almost the entire continental US will be below freezing this weekend, and 55 million people will be below zero. At midday its a sunny 19f on my porch, half a mile from the ocean (Puget Sound).

I came back from balmy Hong Kong yesterday and had to stand outside on the curb at JFK waiting for my pickup for a good 10 min Eh oh!

Fortunately I had sufficient warm clothing (old ski jacket), including hats and gloves. So not too bad.
snow report
All of which reminds me. I was using cable ties ("tie wraps") to stop my boots automatically flipping from ride mode to walk mode, which is a design defect. I was just sitting in the pub with a material scientist friend whining about how frequently those cable ties break, and wondering what the mechanism was. He nailed it immediately: they're made of PU and that's very brittle at low temperatures, such as those typically encountered in BC in winter. Needless to say I just ordered some which work down to minus 40, so they should be just about ok.

My boots are made of fancy stuff (amides, carbon), but anyone in older PU boots may have some issues with that I suppose.

Squeaky slower snow and the need to constantly wiggle my toes is about the only thing I notice when it's very cold.

For general living, I find just that you have to cover your head and you can't wear jeans outdoors once it gets properly cold. In Finland the trains are on time, and the commuters all appear magically just as they're arriving: no one waits outside on the platforms.
latest report
My learning experience from the rather chilly weekend at Kicking Horse (down to below -40C at one point! Shocked though no lifts running below -30C ) was that even if you think you have everything covered up, if you miss a bit you get frostbite! Nothing too bad fortunately.
What I also learnt was that the locals crack out the KT-tape to cover bits such as the cheeks and nose, though I shall avoid skiing fast at -30C in the future, I shall also go with the KT tape approach if I have to go skiing in anything like that cold again.
latest report
KT tape is a lifesaver@stuarth, kids always wear it when its super cold. Helps to pre-cut it
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/-n7SWtIx9gk?si=bpN2k4ZO62v75iTL
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy