Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coming back to the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

Just coming back to skiing after 10 years away from. I’m looking at buying a jacket, trousers, goggles the basics again. Where would you guys advise buying them from without breaking the bank?

Thanks for any help.

Tony
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TonyNorthDevon, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
You can get some great value clothes, gloves, goggles etc from Aldi and Lidl when they have their ski special deals, usually for about a week in the Autumn. As they are good value they often sell out within a few days, so keep an eye out on their websites, or even better here on sHs as people usually post a heads up when the gear is about to come into the stores. Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah right. Okay that’s great thank you.

Tony
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@TonyNorthDevon, Also GoOutdoors and Decathlon, if there's either near you. Or for higher end stuff at big discounts try https://www.sportpursuit.com/ (you have to give them your email address, but they're very legit).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Okay Tom I’ll give that a go. Thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There will be lots of sales on.
Tkmaxx can be good in the autumn
Sportsdirect can get branded stuff (nevica is now a a sd owned housebrand)
So really depends on your budget.

I have seen o’neill and nike ski pants at SD for under £20!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bloody hell under £20 that is cheap. I’ll keep my eyes open on sports direct thanks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thered dare2b as well
https://www.dare2b.com/sale/mens/trousers/shop-by/activity/ski/
They used to have an outlet - well, sold via regatta outlet. I picked a pair of ski pants up for £5 to use on dry slopes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cool. I’ll keep an eye on that as well thanks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could try this place

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/portstewartclothingcompany

They have a shop that we have used, never used the postal service though.

Got some good bargains on branded gear - Dare2Be, Regatta, Trespass etc.

But stay clear of the cheap no brand socks! Bought a 3 pack and one of the pairs had one two inches short than the other, but cheap as chips anyway.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haha yeah I’ll keep my eyes open for that. Thanks Ster
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Surfanic
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@TonyNorthDevon, if you’re really at a loose end Regatta seem to have a slot on Ideal World shopping channel (don’t ask how I know).

Channel 22 on Freeview
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.regatta.com/outlet/shop-by/activity/ski/gender/mens/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Eh oh! I’ll take a look. Thank you.
ski holidays
Some stuff is currently so cheap it's ridiculous on ebay. A lot of unused gear this year i guess.
snow conditions
Having a gander right now. Thanks.
snow conditions
@TonyNorthDevon, Dare2B, Trespass and Mountain Warehouse stuff is fine. In fact some of their higher end stuff is pretty good. I guess it depends upon how much skiing you are planning on doing in a year. Gloves, check out TKmax online around December time. You can get some real bargains there. You can add silk liners if your fingers do get cold at any point. Goggles, for me is one area not to cut corners. If you get cold or hot you can add more layers, open ventilation zips and/or take layers off. However, if you can't see where you are going in flatish light, the results can be a little more painful. Shocked Cool
ski holidays
Recommendations on goggles. What should I be looking at?

Thanks
latest report
TonyNorthDevon wrote:

Thanks

Personally I only wear goggles when it's snowing otherwise I wear sunglasses with different lenses depending on whether its sunny or cloudy.

If you are going to wear them all the team you will want to purchase a couple of lenses and want the goggle frame to allow for easy changing.

Either way the critical thing is they vent well and there are no fogging issues. I would imagine unless you buy really cheap most goggles are pretty good these days.

There is a lot of discussion over bad light lenses for sunglasses and goggles as there are a lot of different one's available and not everyone's eyes or preferences are the same.

I have some Oakley O Frame's XL (if you have a small/big head you this could matter for most I don't think it's an issue) with iirc Persimmon lenses purchased from Go Outdoors. I wear cheap (~£12) Bolle sunglasses that I bear from the likes of Tool Station (who list them as safety glasses).
snow report
Snow and rock and house of fraiser have sales on.
snow report
TonyNorthDevon wrote:

Thanks

Well my preference is oakley with prizm lenses, but Smith and others are very good also. It's important that they fit well with your helmet, so you really need to ry them on together. Obviously, helmets and goggles of the same brand will be pretty much guaranteed to interface nicely.
Sportpursuit.com and privatesportshop.co.uk have some cracking deals , but you need to register to indulge.
ski holidays
@TonyNorthDevon, Goggles are very much down to each persons eyesight/eyes and how they handle certain light and coloured lenses. I was crap in flat light. Literally hated it. I tried Yellow lenses; which a lot of people swear by; but found they were useless for my eyes. Also borrowed rose coloured lens'; again no good for my eyes. Then tried Oakley High Pink Prizm lenses and bingo, I could see enough detail to ski happily. I even wear them on bright sunny days, when most people would find them too bright. There are endless threads on here debating the benefits of certain makes and coloured lenses; but it really is down to each persons eyes. My advice would be to try other peoples goggles in various lighting conditions, including flat light and then buy a pair with the coloured lens(s) which suit your eyesight best. FWIW.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 25-03-21 17:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@TonyNorthDevon, the one other thing I would say is more important than the make of clothing or even goggles, is, if you are serious about taking skiing up again, get your own boots. Nothing worse than boots that are crippling you or are too loose. Again there are loads of threads about buying boots on here; but the general consensus is, make sure your feet are comfortable and get your boots fitted properly.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy