Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

End of season ski report please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So for those actually lucky enough to ski this season ... around here Vancouver BC / Cypress, we're approaching the end of the season probably somewhere in April.

End of season report,
1. What did you learn
2. New ski techniques you tried
3. How far did you push your abilities
4. Injury report
5. What's the plan next season - [edit]

I'll start.

1. What I learned
- Skiing is 50% nerves vs confidence. The more I stare at a run I can't do the more I lower my confidence, don't look, just dive in and do it
- In rough terrain or steeps, I'm an aggressive skier but not a fast one
- Most days I'd rather ski than have sex
- I hate skiing on ice, I'd rather not ski

2. New techniques I tried
- I've been experimenting with leaning back a lot more and putting pressure on my heel in a turn, I've always been taught to lean forward
- Also been trying to release pressure on the inside boot when turning instead of lifting it up completely for more stability
- In deeper powder, to do turn, I learned I need to "hop"
- In tough uneven terrain, I also need to hop
- You can launch off the side of a bump to help hop
- In bump / moguls, turn on the side or top of the mogul, not on top
- When skiing very steep slopes, better to lean too far towards the hill and fall uphill than fall downhill and tumble down uncontrollably

- I'm starting to ski bumpy black runs

4. Injury report
- Unfortunately, I was injured at the very beginning of the season by a collision on a green / beginner run. Had to nurse a knee injury for weeks. But I feel fortunate I could still ski in COVID.

5. What's the plan next season
- Summer off season leg work training, lots of stairs
- Stay off green runs at beginning of season, too many people, injuries
- Learn how to handle bumps and moguls better

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 16-03-21 17:44; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
End of season report,
1. What did you learn

-I never want miss a season again, but in case I do I'm going to go on multiple trips each year to preemptively make up for it
-Using snowblades on a random sh!tty sheep field in my local village with a smattering of slushy snow is more effort than it's worth

2. New ski techniques you tried

-Watching Eurosports on my mobile and iPad

-n/a

4. Injury report

-None! Though I'm a bit fatter due to lack of activity.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
End of season report:

1. What did you learn?
A: That I will never take a day's skiing for granted ever again - no matter how bad the snow or weather. Skiing in the rain? Bring it on!

2. New ski techniques you tried?
A: Local combat skiing on grass, gravel and frozen ruts - beggars can't be choosers.

3. How far did you push your abilities?
A: Not as far as I pushed my ski bases Shocked - see 2 above.

4. Injury report.
A: None from skiing.

5. What's the plan next season?
A: To be retired from work and ski and ski. And then ski some more! And haven't ruled out (end of restrictions permitting) some ski touring in Scotland before the snow melts this year; or summer/autumn skiing on an Alps glacier.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
daddytroopa wrote:

- When skiing very steep slopes, better to lean too far towards the hill and fall uphill than fall downhill and tumble down uncontrollably

Maybe you haven't found a steep enough slope yet?
If you lean into the hill you get weight on the uphill ski which is most definitely not what you want - you will then fall all the way down the steep slope.
In steeps a good pole plant to get you body moving down the hill and weight on the downhill ski. You might think you are going to fall over down the hill if you do this, but actually it just gets your weight on the skis properly. It might be called the fall-line, but getting your weight moving down it avoids the fall part! snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stuarth wrote:
daddytroopa wrote:

Maybe you haven't found a steep enough slope yet?
If you lean into the hill you get weight on the uphill ski which is most definitely not what you want - you will then fall all the way down the steep slope.
In steeps a good pole plant to get you body moving down the hill and weight on the downhill ski. You might think you are going to fall over down the hill if you do this, but actually it just gets your weight on the skis properly. It might be called the fall-line, but getting your weight moving down it avoids the fall part! snowHead

Well I still consider my skills intermediate. I can do some black runs and I'm just starting to do bumps. That makes sense. Last time I leaned too far down hill, man I had a bad tumble. My 49 year old body just can't handle that much anymore.

I'll try it... so you're from North Van, have you been on the local mountains a lot this year? I've been mostly at Cypress where I have a season pass.

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy