Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding elasticity: shock absorbers?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Watching this video from the Ski Touring for Wallies thread -
http://youtube.com/v/BedSGuuLW58 and at 5:10 Cody talks about skiing with one binding with zero elasticity and the other binding with elasticity: holding the edge with the shock absorbing qualities endowed by the elastic binding and losing the edge on the inelastic binding.

I’d thought about binding elasticity being exclusively useful for preventing/recovering from pre-releases, drawing the toe/heel back when displaced.

Cody’s comments make it sound like binding elasticity delivers improved ridability and the magic ability to hold an edge better. My take is that most elasticity in bindings is *latreral* provided by heel and toe lateral displacement. Lateral elasticity is parallel to the main plane of the ski so wouldn’t improve holding an edge. I can see there would be some shock absorption provided at heel and toe by upward flexing normal to the plane of the ski so is that what Cody experienced as the source of the magic edge-hold?

I don’t see that lateral elasticity would have a major *shock absorbing* effect: improving ridability or magically securing that edge.

I’ve always had in mind that eradicating transmission losses between limb and ski gave best control - you move your foot 2mm and the ski moves 2mm. If you’re in sloppy boots, have unfitting bindings then small limb movements are lost, decoupled from the ski. We all develop and understand the “feel” of the link between our limbs and our skis when we’re sporting our beloved and usual equipment. When you change boots/socks (or heaven forbid, rent boots) you have to learn the new “feel” and you do.

Other sources of elasticity in the limb to ski connection which probably make a greater contribution to ridability and edge control are boot/liner flex and compressibility.
Thick socks don’t contribute too much to shock absorption but possibly of the same order as lateral binding elasticity.

Cody’s comments: puff or precise?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Puff (the magic dragon)

Sorry Underanewname, deleted your double post and the hamsters deleted both!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@KenX, que?

Anyway, for 99.99% of the skiing audience, marketing puff.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
@KenX, que?

Anyway, for 99.99% of the skiing audience, marketing puff.

Have to disagree there (I didn't watch the video though so await being corrected wink ). But I think the vast majority of skiers would notice a huge difference riding eg hard re-frozen spring snow in the morning on tech bindings compared to alpine bindings.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@KenX, :ham: ?!?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@clarky999, nope still going to disagree. I think 99.99% of skiers wouldn't notice if they were on skis, snowboards ot tea trays.

I think I'm pretty sensitive to such things, but I don't notice the difference at all.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@clarky999, nope still going to disagree. I think 99.99% of skiers wouldn't notice if they were on skis, snowboards ot tea trays.

I think I'm pretty sensitive to such things, but I don't notice the difference at all.

I’ll take your word for it, but I find it really amazing that on that sort of tooth-rattling snow you don’t find the vibrations more jarring/chatter-y on tech bindings than alpine bindings (which all gave some inbuilt compliance).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999, having skied down refrozen bash tracks this very afternoon on my mk1 Dynafit Speeds ....

no, I really don't.

kinda tricky to organise a back to back test this year ... but, really, no.

i think its an artefact.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, having skied down refrozen bash tracks this very afternoon on my mk1 Dynafit Speeds ....

no, I really don't.

kinda tricky to organise a back to back test this year ... but, really, no.

i think its an artefact.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Binding elasticity is a huge factor, it's science, not an opinion, not a gimmick, just facts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@CH2O, are you having a beer free day?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’m a hack skiing wise and I notice the difference

In the world of cycling people have worked out that narrow tyres pumped to really high pressure may be fast on a perfectly flat track. However on roads which are always a bit uneven, super hard tyres get bounced by even small bits of unevenness. You’re better off having a wider slightly softer tyres which can absorb the bumps and keep contact with the road surface. This seems to be the same principle applied to skiing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Arno, Many cycle racers I know are going for fatter tyres then they used a few years ago,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fat tires and decent elastic Alpine bindings all the way!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy