Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski lifts opening in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Seems Italy is opening up, while we’re hearing rumours CH may close ski resorts after half-term due to worrying Covid new strain outbreaks. Skyway Monte Bianco looking fabulous!
https://instagram.com/stories/ross.hewitt/2506896184243097197?igshid=1hqizoftkoow1
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can I jump on this?

Thinking of popping over to Bardonecchia but funds are low following Covid. Thought we might play about on the free nursery slopes and learn to snowboard - are free beginner lifts a thing in Bardonecchia?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Popcorn, anyone? Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah - yes, you're right - should have explained.

I live in Turin and we're in a yellow zone. All perfectly legal.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a novice lift at the bottom in the Campo Smith area but not sure if it's free.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll let you know Tuesday Cool

Pass the popcorn Laughing

Seriously there's meant to be a 30km distance from the frontier as to where you live and where you'll be going and no problem if coming and going back in a day, as friends have already done, so like I say, I'll let you know if I end up fined etc

You buy your ticket in advance on-line, and what an awful online experience that was!

I'm going with an English family that have been marooned, as it were, here since December 14th and for their boys, it's half term this week so no remote lessons etc
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam wrote:
I'll let you know Tuesday Cool

No you won't :/ Breaking news now - Ski resorts aren't opening.

Sauze was very busy today with a cannon running, but the 'variante Inglese' is apparantly spreading and they've pulled the plug.

Back to touring I guess!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@AdamNotts, Things are changing but currently....though obviously might be old news etc

Plus today is the 14th Feb and lifts were not due to open until the 15th wink

I'll be on my touring gear anyway, so be good to tour in the Melezet area anyway.

From 16-25 February any movement between different regions or autonomous provinces is prohibited throughout the country, except for proven work needs, situations of necessity or for health reasons," the updated decree law states.

"In any case, the return to one's residence, domicile or home is allowed."

Travel within Italy for tourism remains prohibited.

This means that, while museums and tourist attractions have been allowed to reopen in Italy this month, only people who are already in the region can visit.

Ski slopes were also closed until February 15th, however this measure is being relaxed. It's not clear yet whether all regions will allow their ski resorts to reopen, however.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not sure when the above was published, but the change of plans is on the local news right now. Resorts had been planned to reopen from the 16th, but that's been cancelled as of a few hours ago:

https://www.controradio.it/il-settore-dello-sci-resta-bloccato/

Lift opening in Italy now banned until March 5th.

I was also planning a trip - I'm in Sauze now which was going to open the 20th, so I was going to pop down to Bardonnechia and play on the baby slopes tomorrow to teach my girlfriend to snowboard for a change of pace... but now I'm not.

Back to the splitboard!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@AdamNotts, oh well - no big deal as I was only going with a family.

I might still go take a look for a change of scenery this week and drive up towards Jafferau as should be sweet spring-snow if it warms up.

Actually I wonder what it would have been like had they opened as I can't imagine them having the infrastructure/logistics together to open up like that etc

It's bad enough on a National holiday when half the work-force doesn't show up Laughing

And just had notification of lift-pass reimbursement
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helbronner is open in Courmayeur (which is a lift in Italy). I have no idea if it will be closed from tomorrow though
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

We were in Poreć in Croatia looking across the Northern Adriatic, over Venice to the Dolomites in the background, so near, so far.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Andybag wrote:
Helbronner is open in Courmayeur (which is a lift in Italy). I have no idea if it will be closed from tomorrow though

I thought I read it was limited to professionals and guides but seems to be open to all. Will surely be heaving?
https://www.montebianco.com/en/cableway-access-schedules
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Italian Tourism minister seems to be suggesting that there will be no Italian ski season this year.

Headline translated as "The season is finished, now for relief"

News (in Italian)
https://www.rainews.it/dl/rainews/articoli/Sci.-Garavaglia-evidente-che-stagione-finita-94932dba-ef7a-42ad-934d-540e516fda73.html

Basically saying the season is over and now they are arguing about how they support the tourism industry in the mountains and how big a share of 32 billion Euros allocated to support business they will receive.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:
Seems Italy is opening up, while we’re hearing rumours CH may close ski resorts after half-term due to worrying Covid new strain outbreaks. Skyway Monte Bianco looking fabulous!
https://instagram.com/stories/ross.hewitt/2506896184243097197?igshid=1hqizoftkoow1

No rumours in Wengen - yet. Muerren may not open top of mountain after half term during the week, as in January.
ski holidays
I joined friends yesterday who have done a couple of trips going over to Claviere for some ski-doo skiing.

As we crossed the frontier at Montgenevre there was no control whatsoever, not a Douane / Gendarme to be seen.

Claviere itself had a nice vibrant atmosphere going on, with many people walking up the pistes on snow-shoes, touring-skis and many dogs.

There were also snow-mobiles associated with various restaurants taking people up for €10 a lift.

Have to say was a tad nervous at the prospect as people say things happen in three's and a very good friend had a very very lucky escape after one rolled over and he was pinged off the trailer being towed and smashed his face on the perspex windscreen, and then last week we saw a very nasty accident involving one.

And our driver was a typical gregarious Italian driver Laughing

And the final climb was indeed quite technical and they had to know what they were doing as we were being told to shift our weight left and right to help the balance to cope with the camber on the bends.

I didn't know what was worse sitting in the chariot being towed up or sitting sandwiched behind the mad driver with my inner thighs painfully stretched and then having to shift right to left Laughing

Snowpack in the trees did look good, but a picture can be deceiving and I only did a few turns as it was not good and didn't bother again!

Piste was not exactly smooth with many a rut/hole to contend with

And then a damn fine lasagne on the terrace and of course coffee Cool

Coming back into France the Gendarmes Douane were out in force, however once we said we'd just been in Claviere we were waved through.

Friends tonight are doing another ski-doo trip in Sestriere getting taken up to that hotel you see 3/4 of the way up the piste staying the night.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/tana-della-volpe.fr.html

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 8-03-21 8:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Looks like a nice change Very Happy I like it over there, had a nice weekend in Sestriere a couple of years ago.
latest report
"And the final climb was indeed quite technical and they had to know what they were doing as we were being told to shift our weight left and right to help the balance to cope with the camber on the bends."

It's an odd feeling in comparison to skiing, I came to ski when racing moto-x and crossing a hillside on a bike you put the bike out and upper body inward, with skis being the opposite. It felt really strange initially.
Rode skidoo at Les Arcs at night, and notably you have to load the inside "ski"really hard when crossing a slope to avoid it wanting to go down the hill. All of us in group ride motorcycle and felt they conformed to that rather than ski dynamics for body actions.
snow conditions
I think there's a 30km band each side of the border to facilitate travel work etc., given the cross border nature of many things ... hence no border checks I suspect.

it's certainly the case between FR and CH ... hence us skiing in CH yesterday with mechanical uplift Happy
latest report
@Weathercam, Super pictures. Love it.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

it's certainly the case between FR and CH ... hence us skiing in CH yesterday with mechanical uplift Happy

Where did you go?
latest report
@BobinCH, the mega* resort of les Marécottes. Really just to get the niblings some more hours in. Had an excellent pic nic however. Saumur and smoked trout.

* one telecabine, for access, one button drag, yet to be experienced, one fast 4 chair serving everything.

But there are a decent selection of runs, quite enough for 7 and 8 year olds, for a few days. Practically empty, and not a great deal of mandatory mask wearing.
snow report
Looks like a nice day out. Lovely photos, as always.

I like this idea...

Weathercam wrote:

Claviere itself had a nice vibrant atmosphere going on, with many people walking up the pistes on.....many dogs.

Toofy Grin
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, the mega* resort of les Marécottes. Really just to get the niblings some more hours in. Had an excellent pic nic however. Saumur and smoked trout.

* one telecabine, for access, one button drag, yet to be experienced, one fast 4 chair serving everything.

But there are a decent selection of runs, quite enough for 7 and 8 year olds, for a few days. Practically empty, and not a great deal of mandatory mask wearing.

Nice! Never been but very tempted by the Jeremie Heitz videos of the couloirs!
snow report
@BobinCH, I think on a good morning it would be well worth being on the 1st train from Vallorcine and shredding around some Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy