Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's this switch do here?

Poster: A snowHead
I have just rented a pair of Nordica Dobermann Spitfire EDT skis which, as the names imply, look like they need some stern handling:
https://www.snowmagazine.com/ski-gear/skis/nordica-dobermann-spitfire-edt-2015
In the binding under the foot on each ski is a knob you can turn either in the "+" direction for more of something or in "-" direction presumably less of it but marked in red.
Labelled with the less than helpful text "READ THE TECH MANUAL!"
I haven't managed to find the tech manual online, does anyone know what this controls?
Could it be to do with the amount the base plate slides back and forth to reduce elevation of the ends of the skis?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skinomad, what are the bindings? Probably a marketing placebo anyway
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's the "Gnar" setting.

If you're going big you need to +ve, but if it's a family tootle it's -ve.

Disclaimer - I may have lied.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nordica skis use Marker bindings so you could look for info on the Marker website.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rjs, none of my Markers have had switches, that I've noticed? That said, one set went DIN 11-20 Shocked I don't think you get much more gnar than that Twisted Evil

Actually, @skinomad, are they ex rental bindings and that adjusts the size? 2015 Marker tech manual here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj0spint5nvAhWnDGMBHblHBAsQFjAAegQIBRAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.winnersport.info%2Ffiles%2FMarker%2F1415%2520Marker%2520Bindings%2520EN%2520HighRes.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3tnzUnhktM_BxYpwinAIdw
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@skinomad, I think it is to do with adjust the bindings for different length of ski boot (as UANN says) : Have read (page 116!)

https://docplayer.net/49398969-Bindings-technical-manual-2016-2017.html
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Probably rail bindings, so adjustable to differing boots as under a new name, mentions, but not neccessarily rental bindings. SWMBO's old Volkls had similar. Possibly a locking device somewhere too.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"on each ski is a knob"

Well, many skis have that Very Happy we usually tell them to go for lessons Toofy Grin not reference to the OP, just amused me.

Does it change the flex pattern underfoot? to alter the feeling of the ski. Try them at each end of settings to see, that's if it doesn't alter the bindings obviously.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Those bindings are rebadged VIST Speedcom bindings and the knob in the middle of the rail is to adjust the toe/heel seperation to the boot sole length.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you for all the useful information Smile

In no particular order:

Yes I will indeed look like a knob on the skis if I am not paying attention and it lives up to its review comment "This is a ski that growls at every turn, takes no prisoners and will always come out the winner – dumping you in the process should you decide to switch to auto-pilot at any time." Smile

Yes the bindings are Marker. They are the 320X evo model.

Good point about rental bindings. As I am renting the skis that's highly likely.

I think the best strategy is not to change the settings in any event.

Great sleuthing snowheads!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

I have marker bindings on my skis, with a switch at the toe end of the bindings. For many years I had this set at off, and then I noticed the switch, looked it up, and turned it on.

There is a piston in the middle of the binding, which does something when the switch is turned on.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=137175&highlight=

I leave it on now all the time.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bigtipper, marketing placebo ...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bigtipper, actually, I have used/seen bindings where that sort of thing is the lock/unlock for the toe size adjustment ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skinomad, it's an "ease of step in" adjustment, + is really easy to step in, but really easy to fall off, - is really difficult to step in and probably won't come off........
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bigtipper, can you ski better now?
snow report
@Steilhang, only when it snows!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy