Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bed capacity of Les Gets/Morzine?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to find out what the bed capacity is for Les Gets/Morzine, but am coming up stumps for info. I vaguely remember a taxi driver telling me Les Gets alone can go to about 20,000 in the peak of winter. Anyone got any way to corroborate that? Plus the equivalent for Morzine?

The reason I want to know is to do a sort of lift capacity/bed capacity and resort size analysis to get a rough idea of how busy some resorts will be in comparison.

E.g. La Rosiere/La Thuile has a bed/lift per hour ratio of 15,500 : 58,000 or 1 : 3.75 (the higher the better) and a bed/run ratio of 15,500 : 152 or 100 people per km of run (the lower the better)

Tignes/Val d'Isere has a bed/lift per hour ratio of 56,000 : 147,000 or 1 : 2.65 and a bed/run ratio of 56,000 : 300 or 186 people per km of run

Les Gets/Morzine has a lift capacity of 66,000 and 120km of runs, but I'm damned if I can find the bed capacity. Les Gets also suffers from day visitors. I know this is fairly arbitrary, but I hope it will help when choosing peak week holidays.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Timmycb5, I don't know the answer but there must be an awful lot of beds in Morzine. Though their occupants will spread themselves over a lot more than the 120 km of shared piste with Les Gets, a good fraction will surely head to the Avoriaz/Chatel/Swiss side.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@j b, true. I think people who stay in Les Gets rarely go beyond the basic lift pass area. I think I'd have to adjust for people who go to the rest of the PDS from Morzine to get a better picture.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can't access it on my phone but G2A consulting do a lot of data collation for the big French Ski resorts. They quote Tignes/Val at 35k tourist beds (21/14). Can't remember if they do Morzine and the famous northern comedian that is Les Gets. If I remember I'll have a look next time I'm on my laptop.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chocksaway, Thanks, I'll see if I can have a look. I got the 56k for Tignes/Val from a Telegraph article. Seems like a bit of a difference to 35k!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Timmycb5, I would check out the figures for Montgenevre as I expect you will find it more favourable than all the places you've looked at so far.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowymum, Thanks. I'll check that out
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Isn't the problem going to be that you don't know what the occupancy rates are? For example, in our village, they did a study to in response to concerns over «lits froids» and reckoned that occupancy (in terms of the notional number of beds) was on average only about 1 in 8. Obviously, at school holiday times and especially New Year it goes up to 5-6 out of 8. And a lot of this was put down to the fact that most owners were local Swiss and didn't rent out, so they also did some work and undertook a survey of owners of «résidences secondaires» to see if there were different patterns of usage and rental from different nationalities etc.

It might be worth doing a search for the above terms in relation to your resorts of interest, to see if anything similar has been done. If it has, it might be more meaningful than just equating the number of beds/properties to the lift capacity.

It might also be worth seeing if there's a «Société de développement» locally as well. We have one for our village as well as the larger ski domain. I think some of the above research was undertaken by them in support of local businesses and the local council.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 3-03-21 17:37; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting stat, but surely you'd also need to look at the km of pistes as that is what spreads the crowds out? Then factor in, for example, the lower slopes in Morzine could often be shut, but most of Espace Killy would be open early/late season
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski, yes I have included km of pistes. As I said it’s fairly arbitrary and I don’t expect it to be fool proof at all, but it could be a good starting point and may throw up some outliers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy