Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tecnica Zero-G Tour Pro - One Year On ...

Poster: A snowHead
So, for a long time I have been looking at the possibility of a one boot quiver, with touring capability. For years the conversation has been,

"Well, you are used to race boots, the hybrids are just not there yet".

Also, I was living in Geneva with a 9-5 job and not easily able to just hop on out for a quick skin*.

(* excuses, excuses)

Anyhoo, last year @zzz raved about his 0-G Tour Scouts, as did my sis in law. So as my old race boots were well and truly fecked, I thought, let's go for it.

I had my beadies on either the 0-g Pros or the Atomix Hawx Ultra XTD 130s (mouthfull). The Nicolases determined that only the Tecnica would hold my girly swot ankles and off we went.

No specific tweaks required, bat a string admonition not to tour the first few days...

So I went for a wee hike. And yesterday I popped up Grands Montets with the Bonafides.

Well.

Brilliant. Lovely. So far so good,

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 22-02-21 8:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’m hoping mine are as good as forecast Happy

But I won’t find out until mid-Jan Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, nice. I just took mine out for their first proper ski – I wore them for a tour a couple of weeks ago but only did the one rattly piste down and then had a bit of remoulding on the right liner, so it wasn't a very good test of the down part. Today I walked up the same route (ish – had to avoid GS training going on simultaneously) then skied down the piste with my friend who is still learning on her skis, swapped her skis for the snowboard in the car and went back up on the lift to do a couple of off-piste runs.

It was a bit weird to start with, but I think that's largely me getting used to new boots. I have the women's tour version, the white ones – I tried the tour pro that you have, but I have proper calves and they don't don't fit in such skinny boots. I think the volume is slightly lower too, as I was pulling them off after about a minute as horrific tools of torture. They're a little bit colder than my alpine boots which have more substantial liners, but I guess you might not notice that as much if you're used to race boots.

Snow was nice today though. I think the boots will work for the off piste, and they seemed fine when I whizzed down the piste at the end.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I will be interested to see how the liners stand up in use. I’ve seen various review comments that they are throw away items to meet the headline low weight, and people trashing them in 20 days.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PowderAdict, I have the Scout version; same liner but "only" 120 flex boot. My liners lasted 70 days, but are now packing out a little and being replaced. Miles better than Dynafit Vulcan liners (approximately 30 days).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, you're blowing a bit of cash this season, are you poorly?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc wrote:
@under a new name, you're blowing a bit of cash this season, are you poorly?

But he'll get 9 seasons out of 'em Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mosha Marc, @spyderjon, all of a sudden all my kit failed. bug.

@PowderAdict, hmmm, yeah, they do seem lightweight. will report back
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The black plastic (shin?) inserts that came with the boots are for sticking to the tongue and would stiffen up the boots a bit?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@spyderjon, I very much hope so...

Last boots got ~400 days I guess?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, unless I am mistaken, what you are describing are Velcro spoilers which attach to the back of the liner/cuff to add a touch of forward lean.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH wrote:
The black plastic (shin?) inserts that came with the boots are for sticking to the tongue and would stiffen up the boots a bit?

HammondR wrote:
@BobinCH, unless I am mistaken, what you are describing are Velcro spoilers which attach to the back of the liner/cuff to add a touch of forward lean.

That would've been interesting Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I could have got this completely wrong; it wouldn't be the first time..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HammondR wrote:
I could have got this completely wrong; it wouldn't be the first time..

You're not wrong.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@HammondR, @spyderjon, thank you both. Although of course I now have to try sticking them to the tongue to see what happens NehNeh
ski holidays
First try on Sat in blizzard. Great on the up. Got thrown into the back seat a bit on descent - no viz and wind blown snow drifts probably didn’t help. Is this the forward lean issue?
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
First try on Sat in blizzard. Great on the up. Got thrown into the back seat a bit on descent - no viz and wind blown snow drifts probably didn’t help. Is this the forward lean issue?

Possibly, especially in combination with the (excessively) high delta angle of the Xenic bindings (8-8.5mm).
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Possibly, especially in combination with the (excessively) high delta angle of the Xenic bindings (8-8.5mm).

Any suggested mods?
snow report
Try 'em in decent conditions first but if no change then shim up the toe bindings.

#shouldvegotalpinists wink
snow report
@BobinCH, two screws under the walk mode hinge attaching the mechanism to the clog. Remove those (very carefully, although the boots should have arrived iwth several replacements) and the plate that they screw into can be inversed to add an extra 1° lean. Might be worth a try.

Careful though, the screw heads seem very soft... I screwed mine up ...
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, two screws under the walk mode hinge attaching the mechanism to the clog. Remove those (very carefully, although the boots should have arrived iwth several replacements) and the plate that they screw into can be inversed to add an extra 1° lean. Might be worth a try.

Careful though, the screw heads seem very soft... I screwed mine up ...

Puzzled If it's due the high delta angle of the bindings isn't this effectively making it worse not better
ski holidays
@betterinblack, you may have a point. My first outing (on Alpinists), being mostly used to fairly forward (proper) race boots I had to adjust myself to the much more upright boots and whatever angles the bindings were doing.

2nd day on my alpine skis & bindings was much better although for comfort I want a bit more forward. That has apparently been adjusted, we'll see tomorrow if I can perceive any difference! It's a tiny adjustment anyway.
latest report
@betterinblack, now I'm confused. Per https://www.wildsnow.com/10733/get-up-rise-up-stand-up-for-your-ramp/, the Xenic seems to have quite a high ramp. Why would that throw you in the back seat. Although I agree, if that's the issue, increasing fwd lean might not help.
snow report
If the combination of boot zeppa, boit cuff foward lean and binding delta pushes you too far forward you then, without even being conscious about it, end up have to stick your butt back to stay in balance. And try as you might you can't get foward.

This is different from beginner level backseat skiing due to lack of ankle flex and poor posture etc.
latest report
@spyderjon, Understand that, that makes sense, feeling in the backseat wouldn’t be my description of that.

(Having played with forward angles on the SX92 in 1990 I don’t think I would have that problem anyway)

Balance is such a funny thing.
snow report
Oh and first few turns in the Tecnicas at standard fwd on Alpinists I did feel backseated. In the Squires not really at all...
snow report
My zero Gs (first gen) are sadly separating (about 10mm) under the lower shin buckle where the grimalid lower meets the more flexible upper after about 8 weeks use. Awaiting an email reply via the shop after Christmas from Tecnica!
snow conditions
@oui4ski, not very good. I expect to wear out the non-replaceable sole (and probs liner well before that) before the shell fails.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, the boots failing @oui4ski, only have the stenciled name on the side in common with your Zero G's.
snow report
@HammondR, that's reassuring, thanks. (although I wasn't really worried Happy )
latest report
@HammondR, There did appear to be quite a few changes between mk1 and mk2! Although I have to say that I have been very happy with the mk1 otherwise.

@BobinCH, I skinned up from Ruinettes on Friday morning (when all the lifts were closed due to weather) but was beaten by the very strong gusting wind near Attelas - sadly we left yesterday as the new snow (and crowds) were arriving.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

HammondR wrote:

That would've been interesting Laughing

I use mine as you said. Sticked to the tongue, and not only 1....2 of them to stiffen tongue all the way. For me it works really good in this way (I need to say that I have a very big calves so naturally I don't need nothing on that side rolling eyes )
snow report
@AlTom, I think you are using the shims wrong, they’re for pushing your legs forward.

I don’t see how they can stiffen the boot.

I think you’re not buckling correctly...
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@AlTom, I think you are using the shims wrong, they’re for pushing your legs forward.

I don’t see how they can stiffen the boot.

I think you’re not buckling correctly...

Really?? Maybe I didn't explained correctly. I put the shims in front of the tongue and stiffens it.
Actually I was using in this way with old cochise prolight, and just did the same in the Zguide..
In this way liner offers a more support. It works for me..so that it's what counts

I'm not at home for next 2 weeks, so I can't post a photo

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 23-12-19 11:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
How peculiar
snow report
@AlTom, if it works for you, then splendid! but I don't think that's what's supposed to happen ...
snow report
@under a new name, I understood that ski boot spoilers were intended to provide adjustable rear support depending upon the position or shape of the calf muscle (or to slightly adjust the forward lean of the boot). Tecnica refer to them as "velcro spoilers". There is no way that I could fit the spoilers against the tongue of my boots and hope to get the boot on!
Edited: Apologies to spyderjon who had already explained the same thing earlier in the thread - I need to pay more attention ...
ski holidays
@oui4ski, afaik, that's quite correct. I keep finding old ones ...
snow report
@under a new name, Very Happy
ski holidays
Well, I seem to be getting used to them. Blatted around in the sunshine up La Tour. Very nice snow. Speed limits and bumps operating as normal. Liners definitely packing in.

So freaking comfortable however!

Might still have some heel lifts put in. Decision on hold till after hols and shop's quiet enough for decent chat.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy