Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort/hotel teenagers April 2022

Poster: A snowHead
So we've got 3 boys who will be 20, 17 and 15. All good skiers. I am a blue/red only and actually happy to do some other non skiing (active) stuff.

We've missed the last 2 years and due to University holidays are looking at the first week of April next year. We are open minded on country/resort and know we'll need to go high. But we are going just the 5 of us and it would be nice for the boys to meet others so somewhere that they could do that...

Might be nice to be a bit rockstar (for once- we are Scottish Toofy Grin ) and have an outdoor pool etc Very Happy

Thanks for your wisdom!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Courchevel 1650 would be great. Fab pool acquamotion, near to the bright lights of 1850 and nice restaurants/bars. Lots of great self catering accommodation
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi thanks! Yes, we've been there a couple of years funnily enough! Do you think it would be Ok at Easter? My husband is keen to go back but I fancied a change and somewhere the boys could meet others their age...Maybe we should just bring friends for them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some Austria suggestions:

Obergurgl - relaxed skiing, really nice hotels, some night life; Soelden down the road (a bus/cab ride) with lots of nightlife. High for Austria ~2000m at the bottom with ski-in, ski-out. Try the Hotal Alpina https://www.hotelalpina.com/en/hotel/skiing-tyrol-oetztal.html or Edelwiess & Gurgl https://www.edelweiss-gurgl.com/en

St Anton in Easter should be fine, fab nightlife (assuming there is any next season), mainly red skiing and a big area, huge range of accommodation from Landhus to upmarket hotels. At the upper end try the Alte Post https://www.hotel-alte-post.at/en/hotel.html or the Schwarzer Adler https://www.schwarzeradler.com/en/ fFr a Pension, try the Gafluna https://www.gafluna.com/ (the owners are nice people). If you don't mind a bus ride/drive, plenty of relatively good value accommodation in Pettneu.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Easter can be great and you can get to other places easily if the snow lower is a bit slushy. We have a place there so are biased and have skied throughout the season
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@RosieL, sounds like a great idea for an unforgettable family holiday. Hopefully the last one you have to pay for, before they start to keep you in the manner to which you’d like to become accustomed.

Val D’Isere & St Anton would be the two places at the top of my list for the things you say you’re looking for. Best balance of likelihood of good snow, range/challenge of terrain, lively aprés, good pool/leisure centres and other outdoor activities for you.

Ischgl ticks most of your boxes too but I’m not so sure on other outdoor activities so much as those other two.

Wherever you decide, which bit of the village you decide to stay in will be important. Best to keep asking away for advice on here, to supplement your own research I’d say.

Good luck herding those cool cats of yours. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saalbach White Pearl Mountain Days usually falls that first week of April I think? Lots to do in resort in general but perhaps a music festival all over the mountain would be added fun. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you- lots of great suggestions. How would VdI be for a nervous skier? My problem is I love tree lined skiing and don't like the open mountain. But I imagine tree lined at a Easter will be a no no.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As you said rock star I was going to suggest Canada, but not sure their friends could join them then...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@RosieL, fine for a nervous skier if you choose the right area to ski, which is easy to do.
Given your mix of needs, I’d strongly recommend staying in La Daille.

I also strongly recommend a nervous skier doesn’t ski down to the main Val D town centre from the Solaise or down the Face/Santons/Charvet routes. There’s no need, good lifts take you down.

There’s some tree skiing above La Daille but not much. What there is would be skiable at Easter usually.

Generally if you go high for decent snow late season you’re not going to get much tree skiing. That’s just how nature works.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Verbier would be a hit with your boys. If you’re there for Easter week you could stick them in the FWT club for the afternoons. The instructors include some of the best young skiers in Europe. My daughters instructor just won the Nendaz Freeride junior 3*
https://instagram.com/martin__bender?igshid=15y7sz6w4oacz
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh this is cheering me up! I did think Canada or the States but there's the issue of not being able to drink under 21.... Verbier is a good shout but I'm not sure we could go for rock star accommodation there. My husband will just look at me Laughing > I am at this f@@@@ it stage of the pandemic where I don't care! I will check it all out.

My ego doesn't mind downloading on the bubble.I don't want to be ungrateful but is La Daille not famously ugly?! Shocked

Thanks you all for cheering up this very grumpy Scot.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RosieL wrote:
Oh this is cheering me up! I did think Canada or the States but there's the issue of not being able to drink under 21.... Verbier is a good shout but I'm not sure we could go for rock star accommodation there. My husband will just look at me Laughing > I am at this f@@@@ it stage of the pandemic where I don't care! I will check it all out.

My ego doesn't mind downloading on the bubble.I don't want to be ungrateful but is La Daille not famously ugly?! Shocked

Hmmm yes Rockstar accommodation might require a 2nd mortgage! However suspect you would love cruising around the La Chaux blues interspersed with several glasses of Rosé on the Dahu terrace Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RosieL wrote:

USA has a drinking age of 21. Canada varies by state: British Columbia (Whistler and many smaller interior resorts) is 19; Alberta (principally Lake Louise) is 18. The limits are strongly enforced and ID is required. So if it's important for the younger two to drink, forget North America. If it's just the 20-year old that you're concerned about, you could go to Canada but not the USA. You don't need to go rock star to get an outdoor pool and hot tub in North America. Many quite ordinary hotels have that facility.

I think that Whistler would be an incredible choice. The North American in-bounds off-piste philosphy would create endless opportunities for the boys to rip through the trees while you take the sensible option and meet them 5 minutes later at the lift. Whistler can look horribly expensive at first sight, but you can get great deals on accommodation and lift passes if you're careful and book in advance. From the UK, the best deals have historically been available for bookings made between April and July so you might need to be a little patient. We took our three university age boys there in Easter 2018 and our all-in cost (flights, transfers, hotels, passes, transfers, ski hire) in the 5* Fairmont was less than the alternative we considered of a 2* Hotel in central Val d'Isere.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yup, accommodation bigger, cheaper and better appointed. In-bounds off-piste is what the boys will love.

Not sure I'd agree with Whistler in April, given its proximity to the ocean, but that's a debate that will go on forever. Banff would be colder which is a plus at that time (and very much a negative if it was over a Christmas break).

Price it up, I dare you... Smile
latest report
RosieL wrote:
Hi thanks! Yes, we've been there a couple of years funnily enough! Do you think it would be Ok at Easter? My husband is keen to go back but I fancied a change and somewhere the boys could meet others their age...Maybe we should just bring friends for them.

For friends their age try & find out if there are any university trips going that Easter - obviously that info will not be available until the Universities are back up and running. Puzzled
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:
Yup, accommodation bigger, cheaper and better appointed. In-bounds off-piste is what the boys will love.

Not sure I'd agree with Whistler in April, given its proximity to the ocean, but that's a debate that will go on forever. Banff would be colder which is a plus at that time (and very much a negative if it was over a Christmas break).

Price it up, I dare you... Smile

Not sure Banff is colder or not in April - you'd need to check the stats or ask a local. As you get further into Canada it has more extreme swings of temperatures. Average temperature high in Calgary is higher than Vancouver in April (and low is lower).
snow conditions
@RosieL,
Quote:

I don't want to be ungrateful but is La Daille not famously ugly?!

In the eye of the beholder. See pic from the view of one well known snowHead's balcony.
Sooooh... you want reliable snow in April, blues/easy reds for yourself, wide range of challenging skiing for the others,

plenty of lively apres, opportunities for teenagers to meet other teenagers, plenty of non-skiing activities AND you want it all to look pretty? Very Happy
snow report
@Jonny Jones, how is Whistler in April (as a general rule??)

@RosieL, La Daille is a 30 min lovely stroll into the main town with beautiful mountains on either side of you or 10 min on bus. Also funi gets you up and high quickly!
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:

@RosieL, La Daille is a 30 min lovely stroll into the main town with beautiful mountains on either side of you or 10 min on bus. Also funi gets you up and high quickly!

kitenski, for all its merits, it's impossible to put your hand on your heart and say that La Daille is pretty! Laughing

I've only once skied Whistler in April, but I took a good look at the historical data before I booked. In early April, the lower runs are likely to have freeze/thaw conditions but it will almost certainly be possible to ski back the resort. The glaciers and the rest of the Alpine are likely to be epic with several meters of coverage and regular fresh snowfall. The risk is that the upper lifts are closed due to wind with rain making the lower slopes unpleasant, but storms won't last for a whole holiday. Just like the conditions you'd expect in the Espace Killy in April, really, with exactly the same risks.
ski holidays
@Jonny Jones, I never said it was?? Puzzled Puzzled

cheers, thought there was something about Whistler being more maritime environment so different to the Alps in April??
snow report
Sorry, @kitenski - misread your post.

The maritime climate makes cloud more likely in Whistler, I think, with fewer days of blue skies. It also makes rain in resort more likely, but the mountain is high enough to ensure the upper slopes stay in good condition.
latest report
kitenski wrote:

I'm not sure there is a general rule Smile
I've skied a lot of Aprils at Whistler and really I can't tell you what the prevailing weather is. Some years its full on sunny spring skiing, some years its full on winter with proper cold(ish) pow, sometimes its rainy, sometimes in between - and you can get all of those in the space of one month Madeye-Smiley
I'll let you know in a months time (hopefully) Cool snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy