Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights for Feb half term

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at flights for Feb half term to any of Geneva, Grenoble or Lyon from Gatwick

EasyJet have got high except for the late flight out to Grenoble... that means you lose a good part of first day sorting skis boots etc.

BA flights are crazy

Who else should we be checking? Is there anybody we should wait for their flights to be released?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you tried Swiss air?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickyJ, Eurostar to Lyon quicker than flying 4.5 hours. Worth thinking about?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, is this direct? Lots of kids involved (this for for a party of 9 which is only made up of 3 adults!!!!). We are flying to Geneva and have those flights already booked due to having had this years cancelled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just checked swiss outbound flights available...£270 per adult, so cheaper than BA, but still rather pricey.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickyJ, used to be I believe but not sure post Covid/ Brexit, worth a look though I’d think if you are near London
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
have a look at skiing in Sierra nevada instead, flight usually cheaper
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickyJ wrote:
Just checked swiss outbound flights available...£270 per adult, so cheaper than BA, but still rather pricey.
I think (but I may be wrong) that cabin and/or ski equipment might be included as standard, so if you were planning on checking anything it may still work out cheaper.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm Basel flights are looking very cheap - Google Maps suggested 3hr 15 to Morzine. Is this realistic route in winter?

I am not finding transfers so they would need to book a couple of cars.

NB @ajc2260626, accommodation booked. Me and my families flights already booked to Geneva.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickyJ, You are quite late that is the problem, loads of people will have moved their flights from this year. Skyscanner and google flights are good at comparing a range of options including non-direct as is Kayak. Good luck!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BA flights haven’t even been released except the outbound leg. EasyJet wouldn’t normally be available.....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, just a thought but if you are in SEast couldn’t you hire a mini bus for 10 days and drive would be way cheaper and pretty convenient, Morzine is pretty easy to drive to. Say it cost £1200 including fuel it’d be £150 each, via Eurotunnel?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NickyJ, I can attest from first hand experience Sleazy allowed Feb 2021 flights to be rolled forward some months back.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did suggest to my sister driving... she isn’t keen!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@NickyJ, the Basel timing is optimistic. From our house its 3.5-4hrs on a good run. With a stop (you mentioned kids) its 4.5 usually.
snow conditions
@Nadenoodlee, I had suspicions. When we went to Salen from Oslo - the google maps time suggestion I guess was optimistic in summer let alone Feb. And the 2.5hrs driving time it suggested was more like 4hrs actual driving
ski holidays
Is it worth at making a Eurotunnel booking as a backup? I'd budget around £180 for a car and 4 passengers. It'd at least be an insurance if you can't find flights at a reasonable price. Eurotunnel can usually be rescheduled for a year. For an idea about driving to the Alps, here's an blog post that I wrote: it's more to do with preparation rather than the journey itself, but it gives an idea: about 500-£700 return for a vehicle and passengers once you include petrol and tolls etc. and around 10 hours elapsed time from Calais if you allow for rest breaks, meal breaks and driver swaps.
ski holidays
Anybody aware of Swiss air discounts? Seem to recall SCGB used to do one?
latest report
Last couple of years, Swiss have also flown direct from LHR into Sion [SIR] in the Swiss Valais. Whether they'll do so again next season I don't know. Sion is right near Verbier 4 Vallées (Nendaz, la Tzoumaz, veysonnaz), and even nearer to Crans-Montana and Zinal-Grimentz. It used to be a military airport but they left and now it's commercial only. Downside is that in bad weather you may get diverted to Geneva [GVA].

Some of the Tour Operator charters also fly into Sion. We've piggy-backed on a TO flight and transfer to get to Verbier, but we weren't on a holiday package i.e. some TOs sell the flights separately to the holidays. I assume that's true for other destinations too.

As we live near Brighton airport, just out of interest, I asked one of the private charter companies how much it would cost to fly privately to Sion. It was £1,100 which I though was reasonable until I realised this wasn't the 'plane cost, it was the cost each way per person, for an 8-seater jet - effectively ~£18K there and back for the family and friends. Different world, eh?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 27-02-21 17:02; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@LaForet, +1 that’s what I’d do with a team of 9, 2 cars, plus avoids planes...I’m going nowhere near them for a while.... Very Happy
snow conditions
@NickyJ, got any avios or nectar points? There’s still avios availability fri/sat/sun.

Alternatively, tho I know there were challenges with it and refunds this year, if the flight pass is available again for next season, that looks like it will be about £120-150 return again.

Finally, at @laforet’s end of the price spectrum, privatefly operates a fixed price private jet service to Geneva. They price generally works out to a little over £1k per seat per leg, or about £5k per hour of wheels-up time for a 4-6 seater. But, having done that, the last thing you’d want to do is get stuck in resort traffic, so you need to budget another £1-2k for the chopper into resort. Still, think of all the savings from not skiing this season Happy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy