Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA and Gatwick

Poster: A snowHead
I am sure I saw stuff in the media saying BA were pulling out of Gatwick but have noticed they are still selling flights to Geneva for next Jan.

Have they changed their minds? My sister is looking for flights for next season (half term) but is very concerned about whether they will fly and doesn’t want to end up being moved to Heathrow or a different other London airport.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No idea if it's long term, but I booked Geneva flights from Gatwick for this April (in a fit of optimism!), lo and behold they were changed to Heathrow a couple of weeks ago. I'd say there's no guarantee of Gatwick flights unless things travel-wise are very much back to normal. Which is a pain.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ElzP, my flights from Heathrow to Geneva in April have had the outbound flight cancelled but they are offering us one a couple of hours later. I think that is probably just side effect of is still being in lockdown. I would still so much rather be on those flights but not if it is still against FDCO advice Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NickyJ wrote:
I would still so much rather be on those flights but not if it is still against FDCO advice Sad

Absolutely. I caved in to the doom and took a voucher on mine, just can't see it happening (still have vague fingers cross for flights I booked to Portugal in May!). I do get the impression that BA are taking bookings, then consolidating/cancelling as they need to based on what they think the situation will be nearer the time.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ElzP wrote:
No idea if it's long term, but I booked Geneva flights from Gatwick for this April (in a fit of optimism!), lo and behold they were changed to Heathrow a couple of weeks ago. I'd say there's no guarantee of Gatwick flights unless things travel-wise are very much back to normal. Which is a pain.

Yes we had the same with our flights in Jan.

I think that while they are still flying out of Gatwick, their focus is currently Heathrow, so i'd guess that even if you book a Gatwick flight you need to beware that it may get shifted to Heathrow at a whim.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I checked a couple of days ago, looking to re book for next year BB. Noticed that they were showing flights from Gatwick. I assumed they are looking from an optimistic point of view, hoping there might be some sort of normality next year, and planning in case.

Not as many flight options as previous years, but the Gatwick times suit transfers better, and are cheaper, so looking to book them.

It might be that they are transferred to Heathrow at some point, but I won't mind as the price will be the same, and Heathrow is 40minutes closer. I
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This was just a (failed) negotiating ploy with its unions
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
countryman wrote:
This was just a (failed) negotiating ploy with its unions

So they aren’t planning on pulling out? Do you have anything I can show my sister to reassure her?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have noticed that the current prices being quoted are quite a bit higher than last year. Might be worth waiting to see if they have one of their sales.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BA have been using that threat against the unions for the past 30+ years, usually followed by some bout of redundancies, change of package for crew (ground or air) or outsourcing of part of the operation.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickyJ wrote:
@ElzP, my flights from Heathrow to Geneva in April have had the outbound flight cancelled but they are offering us one a couple of hours later. I think that is probably just side effect of is still being in lockdown. I would still so much rather be on those flights but not if it is still against FDCO advice Sad

Hey, both outbound and inbound for me had been cancelled and moved to an hour or 2 later. Happy to wait for a while longer to see if they can cancelled full stop. Accommodation in Avoriaz isn't due to be paid for until next month anyway...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brianatab wrote:
I have noticed that the current prices being quoted are quite a bit higher than last year. Might be worth waiting to see if they have one of their sales.

I was looking at booking flights for our trip next Jan, and prices looked crazy high - mentioned it to my brother who said he thought they looked okay. Turns out the app was showing really high prices (£400+ each way), while the website was much much cheaper.

Just a watch out on case you were looking on the app.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Handy Turnip, thanks for the pointer. I have been looking at the app and was thinking they were high. Will check the main page
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@toyah807, no worries! Good luck!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No, checked on skyscanner, then on the website, which shows more options for some reason. Have been waiting for Feb'22 flights to rebook for next year's BB. Took a voucher this year, as expected to be booking very early.

Prices are up about 80% on last year, but they usually have a spring sale, so I think I will wait this year.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 20-02-21 16:17; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
One of the problems with Gatwick are the number of connections going into it. Eg Glasgow have 7 to LHR and only one for LGE for next BB. So although they have LGW to VCE I expect a shuffle to LHR.

Therefore I won't hold out much for a guarantee of a flight from LGW.
ski holidays
Are they having problems with their site, or are taking the proverbial?
Just tried the option of flexible ticket (to avoid charges on changing flight) A £36 flight changes to £365. Be cheaper just to cancel and rebook. rolling eyes
snow report
I've just had flights to Cancun from Gatwick at the end of April csncelled. They were booked optimistically early last year and when I called to ask for a refund of my deposit paid (it was a package with flights and car hire as I now no April is too soon to travel anywhere from the UK) they said although the flights for Cancun our day were cancelled there were flights the following day available instead!!

So doesn't look like Gatwick is totally off the cards yet..
ski holidays
@Sweedish, I think it was primarily short-haul flights that BA withdrew from LGW his winter
ski holidays
@Sweedish, It's only Gatwick shortfall that has been pulled, this article will give you more background it was initially only until 2 December but its's been extended along with lockdown! The article is slightly out of date (it was written at the beginning of November) but BA's intent hasn't changed.

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/ba-to-suspend-gatwick-operations/
snow report
brianatab wrote:
Just tried the option of flexible ticket (to avoid charges on changing flight) A £36 flight changes to £365. Be cheaper just to cancel and rebook. rolling eyes

Flexible tickets are often many times more expensive than non-flexible tickets. The non-flexible ticket prices vary depending on demand for the flight, so while you were able to book it at £36, someone trying to book the last available seat might be charged £360. The flexible ticket needs to be at least as expensive as that most expensive non-flexible ticket, because you can always book at the flexible price by booking for another date and then changing it.

They are also quite happy to take your money if you're booking on behalf of a business and don't care how much you are spending. Flexible tickets typically earn higher air miles.
latest report
brianatab wrote:

At the moment bookings for both Economy and Flexible BOTH state:

Quote:

Changes
Time/date changes permitted at any time for the difference in fare. Free changes on the day of departure provided changes are for same date/cabin/route/airport. Changes subject to availability.

The only difference comes with ability to get a refund.

From a company perspective for business accommodation we have a policy of always booking flexible on accommodation so that the company gets a refund if it has to be cancelled (which includes changing date ie you cancel and them book afresh). However for accommodation difference is relatively small. A quick look at the Geneva flights for the end of next January it is closer to 10 times the amount at the moment... BUT as those limited cheaper seats sel I suspect the price difference will get less and less
snow conditions
@NickyJ, Flight fares are incredibly complex and confusing. There are so many fares now. You can get economy, economy plus or business and each one can be bought with a full range of flexibility. Fully flexible economy. Inflexible business. And every permutation in between. When travelling on business I usually book tickets with enough flexibility that I can always cancel and can change, but for a fee.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy