Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Chamoisiere Montgenevre

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, we've just booked an apartment for Feb half term 2022 at La Chamoisiere Montgenevre. There wasn't loads of info about it on Booking.com but seems to be in a good location for the lifts and is apparently ski in/ski out. Can anyone who knows this apartment complex confirm this please and if there are places within easy reach for eating out, ski hire etc. We're a family of 5, 4 reasonable intermediates and my 10 year old daughter who will be having her second week on skis so will need ski school too. Thanks is advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@surferrosa, someone with more specific knowledge might be along soon but I have been to Montgenevre a couple of times, staying at the other end of the village from where this particular apartment building is, looking at the location on the map. It looks to be slightly up from town. Montgenevre village centre is really one long road with the main slopes and lifts opposite the shops, bars etc., and a few more in the parallel road behind. There’s a fair choice of eating, drinking, grocery and ski hire shops on those two roads, but perhaps not so in the immediate vicinity of the apartments. Try zooming in on this map to get an idea :

https://goo.gl/maps/f5WR9nSSBn8EnDNaA
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You will be close to the chair/lift that takes you to the north slopes of the resort. If you are skiing on that side you can indeed ski in and out. If you want to ski on the south side you need to walk a little bit , no more than 5 minutes though. The town is small. There is plenty of ski rental all along the main avenue Route d'Italia close to you.

You can effectively take the lift close to you, and then ski down a green run that takes you to the south slopes or to Claviere (the italian side) and I totally recommend you to ski the italian side.

Or you can just walk 5 minutes to the lifts Very Happy...south side is better if you ask me.

Anyways, you won't be far from anything + you might get good views from your apartment.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your replies, sounds ideal for us then. Hopefully it won't be too crazy busy at half term. Any recommendations for transfers, cheapest possible? We used Snowcabs a couple of years ago to go to Serre Chevalier but they don't seem to offer shared transfers to Montgenevre anymore??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The cheapest option is this ----> https://www.autocars-resalp.com/resa_1501_siteweb/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/ZOU05_Ligne_G_MONTGENEVRE_BRIANCON_2020-2021.pdf

If you buy the tickets on the ZOU app it is like 5.50 euros round trip, Prorel (serre chevalier) to Montgenevre Gare, which is super close to where you are going to be staying btw.

It is sort of the public transportations system, but is worth mentioning that the vans are great, clean, etc. @surferrosa,
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@surferrosa, if you are transferring from Turin airport, there's a bus transfer for about 25€ per person one-way. Runs regularly on Saturdays and Sundays to Claviere, Montgenevre and Serre Chevalier.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you both. Yes, we're transferring from Turin airport so looking for an easy transfer, especially with three kids and luggage etc. The direct bus sounds ideal.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@surferrosa, this is the company that currently runs the bus service. https://www.linkbus-alps.com/en/turin-airport/montgenevre/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also looking at Montgenevre, and probably going to try and do it DIY. Main reason being I don't want to fly again if I can help it, and this looks like a perfect resort to get the train to (20 minute transfer apparently).

Does anyone have any idea of cost? Tickets only get released a few months before, so I have absolutely no idea.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timmycb5, The best website to look at for info on the train to Montgenevre is Snowcarbon. I have taken the train there several times. The basic journey by train is Eurostar to Paris, cross Paris to Gare de Lyon and take a TGV from there to Oulx in Italy. Then there is an inexpensive Resalp bus which meets the TGV and I think the journey up from the station to Montgenevre is around 20 minutes. I would suggest stopping overnight at a chain hotel near Gare De Lyon on the outward journey, eg the Novotel then you can get an early TGV to Oulx on the saturday and ski Saturday afternoon (the first saturday afternoon is free on the six day lift pass). NB. We have our own skis which makes it easier to ski on the first Saturday.

Booking the train tickets is not always that straightforward as you cannot get a through ticket so Eurostar comes out first and then the TGV later. As we have always been on peak dates I buy each section as it comes out. I would hesitate to give an indication of price as it is a few years since I've been by train. It is probably in the £150-£200 per person range.

We have also driven to Montgenevre on a few occasions and it is fairly straightforward via the Frejus tunnel. We have always booked accommodation/eurotunnel through Peak Retreats and they have good accommodation options eg. Le Napoleon. Le Hameau des Airelles is good enough if you want somewhere cheaper.

Montgenevre is a great family resort with a varied ski area. It is linked to Claviere and the lift pass also includes a day in the wider Milky way (although unless you have transport you probably wouldn't get further than claviere on a family holiday with ski school pick up).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowymum, Thanks for that. Certainly looks cheaper than flying at half term. Stopping in Paris a good shout too.

Cheers
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The only thing to say is that whilst the main streets are flat, some of the accomodation in the area I think your accomodation is in is up a pretty steep hill. No problem while you’re skiing during the day but for carrying shopping, “popping back to” when you need something or walking to and from restaurants in the evening it can be a bit of a pain when you’re tired. And the side streets are pretty icy, with the cobbles making it pretty slippy. There is a bus that plies the village, but frankly they’re really unreliable and we never managed once to catch one. We would wait at the appointed time, for say 15 or 20 mins extra. Then give up and walk just as it came past us. If you’re driving there then you can just nip up in the car and there are car parks in the town.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy