Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

plantar fachiitus

Poster: A snowHead
i"ve had severe plantar faciitus for the last year, and no amount of stretching, rolling massage balls and money spent on custom insoles is making any difference, as i am a postman and keen hillwalker this is having a big impact on my life, last years skiing holiday was nearly ruined by my painful feet, i had to frequently stop, take off my boots and put my foot in the snow. i am a bit reluctant to book up anything for this season as its a lot of money to pay for a week of pain when it should be a holiday, it looks like plantar faciitus is going to end my skiing career, and i"m devastated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I understand your pain. Through torn ACLs, Achilles tendinitis and tennis elbow (they say sport’s good for you!), plantar fasciitis was by far the most painful. The good news, I’m now painfree. I also did all the things you’ve mentioned and finally managed to get a steroid injection-life saver! Immediate relief (thanks to the local anaesthetic) and 2+ years on, not a bit of pain (I still wear the insoles) Good luck!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes. Get a steroid injection. RELIEF!
Mine did return briefly- probably my fault- but instantly stopping running and return to stretching stopped it in its tracks (took 3 months or so but less painful and lengthy than first experience- which sounds horribly like your current one). It hasn’t returned since {circa 15 yrs)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@compostcorner, I'm sure you are already following the advice never to walk around in bare feet, wear supportive footwear from the moment you step out of bed in the morning? Even going to the loo in the middle of the night. Hubby had it for a while, but not while skiing luckily. Occasionally returns, but only for a short while. You can get night splints to wear in bed too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Insoles fortunately cleared mine up, but I'm surprised you have pain in the boots. For me, because the soles weren't moving about it was actually the only time I didn't have any pain. As above, have you looked at the night splints?

Hope you get it sorted, it's definitely no fun.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
compostcorner,

Sorry to hear that. I suffered from PF a number of years ago. I'd never heard of it & woke up one day to put my foot on the floor & thought I'd broken a bone in my foot overnight. One of the most painful injuries I've ever had.

I was booked on a hiking trip to Austria 4 days later and, in desperation, booked into a sports injury clinic that day. I'd resigned myself to missing the trip, then had 3 consecutive days of treatment (30 minutes each sesh), including ultrasound and (painful) aggressive massage. It was the best £75 I could have spent (2008 prices) and I managed to make the hiking trip. It remained uncomfortable and slightly painful for a while, though the physio gave me my own massage to carry out daily, which also helped. After a couple of weeks it cleared up completely - never to return.

I hope all goes well for you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for all your thoughts, i have done everything that has been suggested above, but i seem to be getting nowhere, the injection worked for a couple of weeks then the pain returned, night splints didnt really do anything, i"ve just had a 6 week course of acupuncture, and that didnt work, so now i"m considering reflexology.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@compostcorner, this may be of interest.

https://physio-network-pn.com/plantar-fasciopathy-aka-plantar-fasciitis-important-research-by-michael-rathleff-2/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@compostcorner, I had it for about a year (from running I think), and had a combination of PRP (platelet rich plasma) injections and exercises under the direction of a sports physio, like the above link. It’s gone. Completely.

Don’t know what did the trick but very relieved. I could hardly walk some mornings.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@compostcorner, acupuncture didn’t work?

I am amazed as all the research shows that it is complete bollox.

As is reflexology.

You have my sympathy but it seems that it usually self resolves over time, so fingers crossed.

But, please, don’t go wasting your money on crap “treatments”.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had exactly the same problem/pain when I took up skiing about 5 years ago but I've found a cheap miracle cure which might help you.

I’d put the boots on first thing and within the first 400 metres would have to stop because the whole bottom and sides of my feet would cramp and burn. I’d have to lie in the snow or keep lifting a foot off the floor to get rid of the pain, but another 400 metres and it was back. It would ease early in the afternoon but I would dread the mornings. I tried painkillers, stretches, footbeds, different boots but no joy.

In the end I spent a long time reading articles and forums, did a bit of thinking and cured it this year. I came to the conclusion I was gripping too much with my toes, so I nipped down to Boots and bought two small rolled up bandages, about foot width wide, and put them into my socks so they would fit under my toes. About 75p each and bingo - pain gone! I couldn’t believe it!

I have them sitting just under the toe joints and they keep my toes slightly higher than the front of my foot, so when I ski it kind of levels the foot in a normal position and I can feel it slightly in my calf’s.

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@compostcorner, Another (past) sufferer - serious pain, especially those first few steps in the morning, but now pain free - my 'solutions'

1) Ski boot custom footbeds transferred to slippers which were left in a convenient place by the bed to ensure first steps in the morning had full arch support

2) Regular massage of the 'plantar' using a wall paper joint roller - the handle enables you to get better pressure than using thumbs

3) Good Foot (USA company) plastic arch supports - for what they are, arch shaped flexible plastic. The flexible insole has the affect of massaging the arch on every step.

They are a complete rip-off price-wise - but they work for me

'Cheaper' E-bay alternative

f:0" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RB-ULTIMATE-Anatomic-arch-support-work-great-like-good-feet-Made-in-Germany/113027164459?hash=item1a50f1a92b:m:mHtk097P_R5zKOlza20uxmA:rk:6Neh Nehf:0
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From the opposite perspective (causation vs cure), my PF was caused by buying shoes online (a month ago), that seemed to be the right size but did something peculiar to my left foot. I assumed they just needed to be worn in, but instead they caused PF.

Having giving up on the shoes after a week of pain, self-diagnosing PF, and thereafter striving to maintain arch support, the PF is now considerably reduced, but still noticeable.

So, I wonder if perhaps the cause needs to be considered too, as that may be a key part of prognosis and remedy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think these are triggers rather than cause. The cause is probably simply BMI and the body physiology at a certain age. Most commonly in 40s and 50s.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@crosbie,
Similar thoughts that the PF was caused by a change of footwear.
I had always worn decent 'walking' shoes for dog walking but bought some of the 'more comfortable' canvas-type shoes for the summer but they didn't have the arch support I was used to.
Back to the proper shoes and arch support now and it has taken 6 months to 'cure'.
latest report
ringingmaster wrote:
I think these are triggers rather than cause. The cause is probably simply BMI and the body physiology at a certain age. Most commonly in 40s and 50s.

Well, being 55 and overweight (17st @ 6'3") I guess I'm prone to it, and so I guess I can no longer treat my feet like slaves who'll put up with what I tell them to. Sad
snow conditions
@codyaitch, yup, proper shoes from now on! Confused
ski holidays
I’ve had plantar fasciitis for a long time on and off. Night splints really help to get rid of morning pain.
snow conditions
Incidentally, my PF has now subsided such that there is only the tiniest residual reminder (in peculiar uses of my foot) that I've ever had it.
snow conditions
its nearly a year on from my original post, so i thought i would give an update, my plantar fachiitus is in my right foot, in march i had excruciating pain in my left foot, so much so that i had several months off of work, so with things getting a bit ridiculous with pain in both feet i decided to go to a top notch very expensive foot clinic, i was diagnosed with mortons neuroma in my left foot, so i had a 3d model of both my feet made and custom insoles were made for me, it took a while for me to get used to these insoles as its like walking on a tennis ball, but i eventually broke them in and now i cant feel them at all, i was also given exercises to do several times a day. so the insoles worked, it relieved all the pain in both my feet, unfortunately they are starting to wear out and as they were an expensive piece of kit i cant really afford to get another pair, not just yet anyway, i walk 13 miles a day in my job so they were never going to last long, over the last week or so i have been trying to walk without my insoles and i can just about get away with it, but the pain kicks in after about 3 hours, the plantar fachiitus foot is much less painful than the mortons neuroma foot. and just to say i have tried every suggestion mentioned in this thread and none of them worked for me, but as the foot doctor said, walking 13 miles everyday is not going to make my foot any better, but as i retire in february hopefully i can give my feet the rest they deserve after pounding the streets of bristol for 39 years.
latest report
Dude. I'm sorry for your pain.

I'm a GP and treat this all the time. In my experience this is generally caused by calf tightness. Fixes the calcaneum up, increases tension in foot and chaos ensues.

Get a calf stretching wedge and and plantar fasciitis night socks. Do this for 3 months and normally sorted. Sorry if you've done this already, quicker to post than read it all.
ski holidays
I had it for two years. Wore the night splints, cortisone injections everything else that was recommended the only relief I got was after my first week skiing. The following year we skied twice and it disappeared completely.... I now self medicate with a minimum of two ski holidays a year, more if I can convince hubby it might be getting worse Very Happy Very Happy It’s unfortunately the only way I can prevent it from returning
snow conditions
I saw I responded to your original post and as coincidence might have it I also now have two M neuromas one in each feet. Not related to PF which I suffered years ago.
My customised insoles (£250 for two pairs to fit in different shoes) have worked an absolute treat (two weeks hut to hut trekking with minimal pain except for two days involving very long hikes) with respect to pain avoidance. I’m sorry yours haven’t worked BUT my sports physio advised that they are not a cure and if you don’t find the source of the problem they will continue to grow since they will keep getting inflamed and build up scar tissue. The source of mine is a nerve that starts being trapped in my back Between my shoulders and continues on through glutes, knees and ankle- basically by the time it gets to the foot there no elasticity left and it gets upset. what I was mistaking for muscle tightness was actually nerve entrapment . All this caused by my lifestyle when not in the mountains- too much driving, bottom sitting and so forth. It may be that your postal job is affecting something in your top half that manifests itself in your lower half. My friend’ sister in law ended up having to have a MN cut out which brings its own problems. They cannot be massaged and stretched away since they reside between your metatarsals. The GP above will have a better idea but once I heard this and read that you might end up in so much pain you can’t walk I took action. If you are walking that far each day that may not be good- can you get a physio assessment through work?
snow report
PS should also have said that the physio (one who I respect very much- having endeavoured to keep me as mobile as possible through recovery from me through broken legs, ligament damage, knackered neck and so forth) has given me exercises related to my back and glutes, none whatsoever for feet and five months on pain has disappeared. Very Happy
ski holidays
Shockwave therapy.....orthotic insoles....ibrobruefn gel.....reflexology (this last one made no difference to the PF, but is very relaxing!)
snow report
Compostcorner, I sympathise. I had pf for a couple of years about 13 years ago, came on at night weirdly with foot cramps, then all the time.

I'm in Bristol too, and because it was effectively disabling me, the gp referred me to the Avon Orthopeadic Centre at Southmead who worked miracles with insoles and stretches.

By the way, you don't deliver in the Bishopston area do you?
snow report
Had it a few times. I found calf stretches soon solved the problem. All of the legs and feet are connected and the achilles tendon was pulling on the sole of my foot. Cheap and no big needle!
snow conditions
Csb123 wrote:
Compostcorner, I sympathise. I had pf for a couple of years about 13 years ago, came on at night weirdly with foot cramps, then all the time.

I'm in Bristol too, and because it was effectively disabling me, the gp referred me to the Avon Orthopeadic Centre at Southmead who worked miracles with insoles and stretches.

By the way, you don't deliver in the Bishopston area do you?

i deliver in clifton
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
suec wrote:
I saw I responded to your original post and as coincidence might have it I also now have two M neuromas one in each feet. Not related to PF which I suffered years ago.
My customised insoles (£250 for two pairs to fit in different shoes) have worked an absolute treat (two weeks hut to hut trekking with minimal pain except for two days involving very long hikes) with respect to pain avoidance. I’m sorry yours haven’t worked BUT my sports physio advised that they are not a cure and if you don’t find the source of the problem they will continue to grow since they will keep getting inflamed and build up scar tissue. The source of mine is a nerve that starts being trapped in my back Between my shoulders and continues on through glutes, knees and ankle- basically by the time it gets to the foot there no elasticity left and it gets upset. what I was mistaking for muscle tightness was actually nerve entrapment . All this caused by my lifestyle when not in the mountains- too much driving, bottom sitting and so forth. It may be that your postal job is affecting something in your top half that manifests itself in your lower half. My friend’ sister in law ended up having to have a MN cut out which brings its own problems. They cannot be massaged and stretched away since they reside between your metatarsals. The GP above will have a better idea but once I heard this and read that you might end up in so much pain you can’t walk I took action. If you are walking that far each day that may not be good- can you get a physio assessment through work?

your right about the customised insoles, they do work, but at 13 miles a day they are not going to last forever. my mortons neuroma is due to nerve damage between my toes.
ski holidays
Shock wave therapy is keeping mine at bay. I’m lucky that my physio charges no extra for it. Definitely worth trying for a course of sessions & I have a top up every 4-6 weeks.
ski holidays
@compostcorner, Just a thought -- as a 'Postie' would your employer consider a contribution to new insoles ?? :: you could make a case based on you being able to avoid sick days off etc
snow conditions
Just been diagnosed with pf and I know it’s that but, has anyone that had it had swollen foot and lower leg, up to half way between heel and knee? I can’t believe how painful it is. I can’t weight down on the left foot. Doing ice bottle roll and stretching helps a tiny bit for a short period. Just wondering if there is anything else going on causing the swelling? GP is ringing back yesterday, still waiting Embarassed minor injuries unit diagnosed and sent me away with a leaflet. Oh gosh that sounds like I am moaning, I am not, just asking the hive for any thoughts or tips.
PS orders for oofos and slippers arrived yesterday.
ski holidays
@harrim51, That sounds odd as PFitis is really just inflammation where the PF itself joins the bottom of the heel.

Swelling above the ankle suggests something else at play I reckon.

In the long term to key to PFitis recovery is stretching and strengthening of the PF, the ankle tendons and calf muscles. Possibly some orthotic insoles too if you have a gait problem that is the root cause.
ski holidays
@harrim51, sure it's not gout in your ankle joint?
snow conditions
Raceplate wrote:
@harrim51, sure it's not gout in your ankle joint?

Going to open the port just in case...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy