Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring gear for starting out (Begginers at touring) - Advice tread.

Poster: A snowHead
Touring gear for starting out (Beggining at touring) - Advice tread.

As we have no lifts this year I am doing a lot of touring, and seeing loads of silly mistakes. 2000+ skin past my balcony on any sunny day.

This thread is intended as a place for people wanting to get into ski touring and looking for advice for whats need. If you thinking of ski touring or have just started this is a place to ask questions. IF you have a lot (100+ days) of experience, preferable with lots of different gear, please post helpful advice and correct me when I am wrong. Please do not post here if you are somwhere in the middle, especially knowledge that is not FIRST hand - no mates or manufactures advice please.

Links to gear and sellers is helpfull, but keep the info Global, please no niche gear or shops that only ship in a specific area.

How do I start out? Take a day of ski touring with a mountain guide - rent all the necessary gear. You will learn more than you expect.
The only time I would skip this step is when living in gentle terrain that you know well and you fancy having a go when it snows.

What gear to start out (Asuming you ski off piste already and have avie gear). - Plate bindings and skins.
Just mount a pair of plate bindings of skis you already have and get skins to fit. Use your existing boots etc.

By the time you are getting to the point where lighter gear makes a difference you will know that this IS your thing and you can go all in and get loads of kit Wink

What bindings - Marker F10 (F12 if you are particularily heavy and ski hard). These are by far the simplest, most reliable and generaly cheapest bindnigs out there. They do have faults (you have to take them off to chage modes, must remove all the snow to get them back into ski mode) and are not perfect, but compared to the rest of the offering out there and what came before they are your best bet.
Honrable mentions - Fritschi (all models pretty much the same), nasty wobbly things that break easily. BUT compared to anything else at the time they were brilliant.
Duke/Jester - same as F10 just way heavier and no more reliable, they do go up to DIN stupid though.

Skins - for your first pair, get full nylon and/ or whatever fits your skis and is on special, it's not going to make much difference. Only bit that makes much differernce is get some with Tip AND Tail clips, then they have a better chance of staying on when conditions are crappy.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stepping it up a notch and getting into tech/pin/dynafit bindings.

Boots, get some that fit. Go and see a real bootfitter - CEM, Soul (smallzookeeper), Concept Pro etc. There are plenty of therads on here wxplaing who is good in your area.
Tell the bootfitter what sort of skiing and touring you want to do, they WILL now better than you. Don't go form Alpine boots and plate bindings to rando race style gear - it will end badly.

Bindings Keep it simple - My present favourite is the G3 Ion. They are easy to step into (for a tech binding), have functioning click clack (rather than rotary) heal hight adjust and brakes.
There are quite a few out there, I personaly prefer Brakes over leashes but each to their own. Salamon, Dynafit, PLUM and others have din 10-12 tech binding - availability and price probably dictate more than anything else.

Bindings to avaoid - anything designed by a marketing department, in this case Beast, Kingpin, Duke and Shift. They are heavy, complex, unreliable and pointless. If they were any good guides would be using them in their droves. All of these became cheap seccond hand in Cham as soon as they became 1 year old.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 27-01-21 12:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Idris wrote:
Bindings to avoid - anything designed by a marketing department, in this case Beast, Kingpin, Duke and Shift.

I can hear the collective intake of breath from here!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe I'm out of touch (again) but I know them as "frame" rather than "plate" bindings. Plate bindings to me means something like an alpine race plate.
https://www.rhythmjapan.com/blog/frame-bindings-vs-tech-bindings-whats-best-backcountry-touring/

Be sure to get someone to set the bindings up for you correctly.

For the first time trying skitouring I'd be inclined to rent a full setup and get the shop to set everything up for you. If you like it you can then think about getting your own setup.

Without prevention you will most likely get blisters (esp if you use your alpine boots)
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=154517

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 26-01-21 18:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Idris wrote:

Bindings to avaoid - anything designed by a marketing department, in this case Beast, Kingpin, Duke and Shift. They are heavy, complex, unreliable and pointless. If they were any good guides would be using them in their droves. All of these became cheap seccond hand in Cham as soon as they became 1 year old.

Amen to that ! http://pistehors.com/23698852/je-suis-freerandough

Although you spoil it with the G3 Lon. I mean you don't really think those rinky dinky brakes are going to stop your ski in a 50 degree chute do you?

and 450 euros, street, did you win El-Gordo this Christmas? I mean, not everyone is a trustifarian. Very Happy

Still I think the F10 (frame binding) is a good choice for beginners as the street prices are pretty good at the moment although my son is now doing over 600 meters just with his alpine ski boots and snowshoes so that is another alternative for bears with little money.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Idris wrote:
IF you have a lot (100+ days) of experience, preferable with lots of different gear, please post helpful advice and correct me when I am wrong.

I have a fair bit of experience touring on different bindings from TLT Speeds to Kingpins, Barons - and now 50-60 days touring (plus ~100 lift-served) on Shifts, and I disagree with two of your statements on bindings. In my opinion:

1. The only reason to buy frame bindings these days, if you don't already own them, is if you only have boots without tech inserts and won't also buy new boots anytime soon. Lifting the frame on every step makes skinning anything over a couple of hundred vert less than fun.
2. The Shifts are excellent, reliable, and don't belong in the same category as Kingpin (which I agree adds little to no benefit) and Dukes/etc

If you want one binding (/pair of skis) to do everything well with few compromises Shift is it. Not as light as low tech but much better feel when skiing, while being much more efficient and enjoyable than frame bindings uphill. Can be bought new for only ~€50 more than F10s. I liked them enough after my first season using them to buy a second pair, now have them on both my touring set ups, and don't have any plans to change back.

EDIT: Good thread though!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 26-01-21 19:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Idris wrote:

The reason guides don't use those (for touring) is weight rather than function.

Fwiw : my all time favourite touring binding is Dynafit TLT speedturn. Minimalistic perfection at 300g. But the lack of reliable release means I wouldnt recommend them for beginners nor a "one ski quiver".

I agree Dukes and Beasts are now redundant and ready for museum. However : I do think the Shift is excellent piece of kit - especially for those who only want to own one pair of skis. 800g isn't stupidly heavy for touring binding, especially as pins mean you only lift weight of boot (unlike a frame binding).

As ever touring kit about compromise.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A side note here about the days in the future when we can get back to lift access and you've discovered that your new touring boots are sooooo comfortable that you'll never ski in anything else again. I don't use any of my non-pin boots anymore but my touring boots were not compatible (safely) with many of my non-touring bindings rendering some pairs of skis obsolete. Marker 1D bindings are an alpine binding that accept both touring and non-touring boots.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One of the main benefits of a frame binding for a noob is they are really simple to operate and they release like an alpine binding. If you've never toured before a bit of extra weight/slightly unnatural stride aren't something you'd really notice. Major faffs dealing with pin bindings could be positively annoying and wrenching your knee because the pin binding toe doesn't release as you'd like could put you off for good.

Written by someone who started off with Fritschis with leashes on awful noodly Dynafit touring skis back in the day Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno wrote:
One of the main benefits of a frame binding for a noob is they are really simple to operate and they release like an alpine binding.

Agree, actually releasing safely is important for a noob...

Though if budget allows I would (these days) go for a Shift on 90-100mm ski. That will cover most bases for beginner as one ski quiver?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As a total beginner I had frame bindings and alpine boots. I once did something like 1600 vertical metres in an boot with a foam liner and NX21s. The up sucked and so did the down. Even though I was skint I threw the Naxos away as I could not have sold them with a clean conscience.

I can understand going F10/12s for someone who intends to tour with alpine boots and I can see how that would work for a beginner. It is, after all, what I did. And, as someone that no longer skis that much and used to ski a lot, I am not competent to advise on what someone living in the mountains needs. For someone skiing 10-20 days a year who needs one pair to roll around with the kids and one pair for short tours, the Shift makes a lot of sense. It tours better than a frame binding and has alpine release, which I need owing to not being as good as I was (and I wasn't all that to start with).

I've tended to ignore what guides have. They are fitter than me, lighter than me and much better skiers. I guess you can get away with 300-500g pin bindings all the time if you don't fall.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just a question on shifts. If you own boots with tech fittings would ANYONE buy F10s over shifts?
I’m thinking about my kids. Want to buy them one ski quivers for 80/20 lift served / touring.

I haven’t skied either but was going to buy shifts
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jedster, IIRC the F10 has a lower bottom DIN, which could be a consideration for kids
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jedster wrote:
Just a question on shifts. If you own boots with tech fittings would ANYONE buy F10s over shifts?
I’m thinking about my kids. Want to buy them one ski quivers for 80/20 lift served / touring......

clarky999 wrote:
@jedster, IIRC the F10 has a lower bottom DIN, which could be a consideration for kids

The Shift 10 has a 4-10 din range and the F10 has a 3-10 din range.

Cost aside, the only reason to buy an F10 instead of the Shift would be if you needed to ski on 3 din. The Shift is superior in every other respect. The F10 does have a second climbing bar but it's not very stable and in reality is very rarely used.

Edit: There is another benefit to the F10 over the Shift which is that the F10 can be mounted to a sub 80mm ski whereas the Shift toe is wider so needs 80mm or more underfoot.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Getting the F10 on and off is just like an alpine binding (in ski and walk mode). Would be more of a learning curve to operate the Shift. Depends how good your kids are at picking up stuff like that and how patient you are Little Angel
latest report
IIRC, Jedsters kids are 18 & 16.
snow report
@spyderjon, ah ok. I was picturing jedster having to skin back up to help a stropping junior who couldn’t work out his/her bindings
latest report
17 posts mainly about bindings and no definitive conclusions. This ski touring lark sounds really complicated, think I'll give it a miss. wink

A lot of ski schools offer introduction to ski touring days.
To be honest I'd try using your own boots and a frame binding on one day (heavy but skis down better) and then a pin binding with rented touring boots (lighter, much easier on the up) on another day then decide yourself.

There are also various clips on YouTube etc about ski touring

http://youtube.com/v/yipAOf9ZweI

There are also ski touring test days for equipment (e.g. Testival Kaprun typically in November)
https://www.bergwelten.com/a/skitouren-testival-2020-am-kitzsteinhorn

Feel free to ask questions.
snow report
Arno wrote:
Major faffs dealing with pin bindings could be positively annoying and wrenching your knee because the pin binding toe doesn't release as you'd like could put you off for good.

I think that is a really good point for beginners to touring. There is so many other things to get to grips with and the worry of (or in my case) a knee injury due to poor release isn't worth jumping straight into pin bindings, especially if your current boots are alpine only.

DB wrote:
To be honest I'd try using your own boots and a frame binding on one day (heavy but skis down better) and then a pin binding with rented touring boots (lighter, much easier on the up) on another day then decide yourself.

Good advice.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 27-01-21 10:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Arno wrote:
@spyderjon, ah ok. I was picturing jedster having to skin back up to help a stropping junior who couldn’t work out his/her bindings

Very Happy

Yes nightmare scenario!
I haven't had to climb up the hill to help them get there skis back on for many a year.
I've not been pushing touring, more dangling it but now they seem interested. They ski well and like hiking so all should be good.

jon has already offered good advice and I'm planning on getting them sorted but this dispiriting season has rather taken he wind out of the sails - shiny kit arriving is probably not going to have the desired effect right now.

My daughter (16) and I did get three days (no skinning) in ENgelberg before xmas. Looks like the only skiing this year. She's only skied Les Contamines in the last 8 years so Engelberg was a bit of a different experience but the way she took on the Laub made Dad proud.
snow report
davidof wrote:

Although you spoil it with the G3 Lon. I mean you don't really think those rinky dinky brakes are going to stop your ski in a 50 degree chute do you?

Have edited re brakes - put it down to personal choice

and 450 euros, street, did you win El-Gordo this Christmas? I mean, not everyone is a trustifarian. Very Happy

Didn't know they were expensive, mine are a slightly used handme down pair from a pro who gets boxes of em - just prefer them to my Plum and Dynafit

ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
Idris wrote:
Bindings to avoid - anything designed by a marketing department, in this case Beast, Kingpin, Duke and Shift.

Sorry to potentialy upset people, but of the 100's of pros, localy (Mountain guides and ski instructors). None of those who buy their own gear. (the majority of french are not sponsered) NONE use the 4 bindings mentioned.
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Fwiw : my all time favourite touring binding is Dynafit TLT speedturn. Minimalistic perfection at 300g. But the lack of reliable release means I wouldn't recommend them for beginners nor a "one ski quiver".

Have you any figures on injuries caused by Tech binding release. I don't think there is really an issue when ski touring but some people without a ski touring culture have a bit of a psychosis about it. They probably drive an SUV as well.

Research has shown that badly adjusted and maintained bindings of all types account for 30 to 50% of injuries. The toe on a TLT binding will release on rotation even if the initial release is at the back but not if the toe piece is locked out. You have to be careful about vertical release values.

The TLT has been used successfully for 30 years. Practically everyone in the French ski touring scene was using them while the Swiss were still clumping around in their Diamirs. People have skied off 8000 meter peaks using them. Skied couloirs that are near vertical. They have logged millions of km of vertical and honestly, there isn't really a problem. They are in general reliable.

I've never seen anyone in the mountains around Grenoble using Shifts, Kingpins or other. For me they are not really a touring binding due to weight, complexity etc.

Anyway I will let Idris defend his own arguments.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 27-01-21 12:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
^ I know a few UIAGM & BASI L4 who use shift (previously kingpin) for lift accessed skiing & sidecountry. However they all have dedicated lighter touring skis.

There is a trend where people use pin bindings for everything. However we need to be honest about the compromise (less reliable release) that comes with that. Is it best choice for a "noob" who might not ski well or only own one pair of skis?

Having said all that : I agree the iconic Dynafit speedturn is the best touring binding of all time!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 27-01-21 12:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Idris wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:
Idris wrote:

Sorry to potentialy upset people, but of the 100's of pros, localy (Mountain guides and ski instructors). None of those who buy their own gear. (the majority of french are not sponsered) NONE use the 4 bindings mentioned.

In fairness though Idris, their application is not the same is it? For a chunk of skiers there is genuine value in a one ski quiver that can be used 80/20 resort/touring and I think Shifts are the best option for that. Mountain guides and instructors have zero need for that set up. That does not mean it is useless for everyone
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ I know a few UIAGM & BASI L4 who use shift (previously kingpin) for lift accessed skiing & sidecountry. However they all have dedicated lighter touring skis.

There is a trend where people use pin bindings for everything. However we need to be honest about the compromise (less reliable release) that comes with that. Is it best choice for a "noob" who might not ski well or only own one pair of skis?

For alpine I use Alpine bindings. Cheap and they work well.

This thread was about ski touring though, not someone who does a couple of hundred meters climbing to access some off piste. For someone who wants to ski tour, even a "noob" the basic Tech design has proved more than adequate.

But I'm not selling gear so people can use whatever they fancy really.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 27-01-21 12:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
God I'm going to contradict myself immediately!

Just remembered that the guide my daughter and I skied with in Engelberg for a day in December was on kingpins! But then if you spend a lot of the season doing a mixture of lift-served and side-country (which I think he does) then may be a pin binding with more sophisticated release is a good option?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 27-01-21 12:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

This thread was about ski touring though, not someone who does a couple of hundred meters climbing to access some off piste. For someone who wants to ski tour, even a "noob" the basic Tech design has proved more than adequate.

For sure : in ideal world everyone have multiple pairs of skis (piste, freeride, touring) each with appropriate binding for task. Back in reality many people only own one pair of skis. Perhaps they need to travel / fly to mountains etc? Or maybe only ski 10 days a year ?

Shift (or G3 / tecton) is the classic "jack of all trades" (but master of none). Would happily tour 1000-1500m on them or ski piste all day. Basically modern skis / boots have made one ski quiver a realistic option. Though as ever it requires accepting compromise somewhere.

No one is denying better dedicated touring bindings exist...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
davidof wrote:

For sure : in ideal world everyone have multiple pairs of skis (piste, freeride, touring) each with appropriate binding for task. Back in reality many people only own one pair of skis. Perhaps they need to travel / fly to mountains etc? Or maybe only ski 10 days a year ?

Shift (or G3 / tecton) is the classic "jack of trades' (but master of none). Would happily tour 1500m on them or ski lifts all day. Basically modern skis / boots have made one ski quiver a realistic option. Though as ever it requires accepting compromise somewhere.

No one is denying better dedicated touring bindings exist...

well quite
I did a 3 day tour including the summit of Domes de Miages (plenty of vert) on R108s and Beast 14s
I also years ago did the tour de Grand Paradiso on fritschi freerides
Neither equipment choice is in anyway optimal and next time I do something similar it will be on Superguide 88s and alpinists!

But I still think there is a real market for skiers who want one pair of skis for 80/20 use. Not sure saying the 20 is "not touring" so we can ignore that is very helpful!
snow report
^ Doug Coombs apparently did Mont Blanc on alpine gear in the early 90s Very Happy

Ultimately all touring kit involves some kind of compromise between up and down.
However equipment (and more importantly boots) have got much better and more versatile recently.
snow report
An interesting thread. The conversation gradually morphs from a discussion of the best way to get started into one between experienced users about the best bindings for different uses. I think this shows that, as with many outdoor sports, one of the most tricky stages is getting started successfully and without so much discomfort you get put off. Touring is much more enjoyable once you have the right kit for your purpose, your feet don't hurt, you don't get so tired, you can keep up, you enjoy the down more etc. But getting there mostly means new boots, bindings, skis and sklns. So there has to be a pretty good argument for starting out with hired or borrowed kit as best you can until you know you are keen enough to invest. What I think anyway Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Ed_sec wrote:
An interesting thread. The conversation gradually morphs from a discussion of the best way to get started into one between experienced users about the best bindings for different uses. I think this shows that, as with many outdoor sports, one of the most tricky stages is getting started successfully and without so much discomfort you get put off. Touring is much more enjoyable once you have the right kit for your purpose, your feet don't hurt, you don't get so tired, you can keep up, you enjoy the down more etc. But getting there mostly means new boots, bindings, skis and sklns. So there has to be a pretty good argument for starting out with hired or borrowed kit as best you can until you know you are keen enough to invest. What I think anyway Madeye-Smiley

Totally agree - hire gear, go with a guide or an experienced friend then if you like it think about buying. In my mind, what you buy depends on whether you can have a dedicated pair of touring skis or want a one ski solution.
ski holidays
I bought shifts when they first came out having never done any touring before. I also bought some Dynafit Speedturn when they were going cheap 18 months ago. I toured with the Shifts plenty for the past 2 seasons, skied 100+ lift-served days on them and so far this season I've done ten 800m+ touring days on them(plus a 1.9kg all-mountain ski). I haven't bothered mounting the Dynafits. Why would I? The Shifts are fantastic bindings for beginner tourers (or anyone) as they ski and release exactly like an alpine binding, while being much nicer to climb with than a frame binding - anyone saying they're 'too complicated' needs to rub a couple of braincells together. They're a piece of p*ss to use after 5 minutes of learning how they work.

What mountain professionals use is surely irrelevant to this topic? If I was a guide I'd probably have 10 pairs of skis with 10 different types of bindings and yes - for longer touring days would probably use lightweight tech bindings. For beginners who want to start to tour and also use their regular skis for regular lift-served skiing I would 100% recommend the Shifts (with the obvious caveat that you already have tech boots/can afford to get them).

The best way to start Ski Touring is the same best way to start anything. Find the cheapest kit you can get your hands on and just get stuck in. I bought my Shifts and some 2nd hand skins and did 1 day skinning up Le Tour with a mate. I think my 3rd tour ever was the Crochues Berard (though I was already an experienced mountaineer as well, wouldn't recommend that to total beginners). Taking some lessons to become a proficient off-piste skier in all conditions is far more important IMO than anything to do with the uphill part.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 27-01-21 14:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:
... conversation gradually morphs from a discussion of the best way to get started into one between experienced users about the best bindings for different uses

True - however there is no "correct" answer.
Rather best choice depends on existing skill level and aspirations of the person buying the touring kits.

Quote:
I haven't bothered mounting the Dynafits. Why would I?

Get them mounted Very Happy

I have had 2 "euraka" moments with ski equipment in the last 20 years.
First time I skied a 100mm ski in deep powder was an eye opener.
Similarly : first ski tour on dyanfit TLT also blew my mind - total game changer for ascent.
snow report
Hmmm, all very interesting.

I started to get into touring last year (sorry Idris, I know you didn't want my comments, but, hey...)

(Background moving full time to Chamonix and a variety of chums to tour with (even if just for the sport and a lunch)) ... and my path has been:

Finally appeared a boot that I thought I'd like for downhill - and I needed (properly needed) new boots. => Acquired Zero-G Tour Pros.

Did a few skins up on rental skis but then bought brother in law's somewhat underused rig for an excellent price to avoid shop faffery and allow spur of the moment "Let's go"s. BD Route95s, Dynafit Speeds. Skins don't have rear clips which I haven't missed.

Did about 14 outings before lockdown last season. Done 16 this year, about 4,000 ms. As you can see, not all of them have been very long, nor adventurous. But enjoyable and managed to get Mrs U to join in ...

Defo rent the first few times as much of it seems in one's head. And a paid for guide the first couple of times is more likely to go at your pace... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
@Ed_sec, yes. I started off much as Idris suggests with a frame binding and alpine boots. It got me through my first season and I had fun but it wasn't a high quality experience.

The reason it has gone to the discussion over the binding is that there is a case for beginner skipping the frame binding step and going straight to a one ski solution when they are ready to buy gear. I bought more gear than I needed as better stuff became available.

Again, I imagine that the needs of committed seassonaires or those living in the mountains are different. I'm not competent to advise them. But a one ski setup for those who are travelling to ski tour as part of a skiing holiday makes a lot of sense and is usable by someone new to walking for their turns.

For many of us, that's a freeride boot and a mid fat with shifts. Good for a couple of hours up and going to perform ok in any given situation.

The only thing I would not recommend is pin bindings until someone's off piste technique is solid as the release is comprised. Again, many of us will be skiing pistes on the same setup.
ski holidays
@Meltus, Agree, for a day trip or lift served OP multi-purpose bindings are great. I went for Tectons over Shifts but a similar concept. I stuck them on my existing all mountain skis (Rip Stick 106) and have now done a few days (up to a 1400 d+) on them no problem (well I was glad to be done with the up but that's more about me than the kit
latest report
Having done a grand total now of 1500M Shocked of up in my Atomic Shift bindings Toofy Grin , my sexy AF Atomic Hawk Ultra XTDs, and my nylon/mohair blend skins, I am comfortable to be the forums go to "hey what was it like starting to ski tour in 2021" guy.

Here's what I've learned so far.

1) Its just walking uphill
2) Shift bindings are easy to use, and if they are good enough for Cody Townsend, they are good enough for you.
3) A beginner with a moderate level of fitness should be able to skin around 300-600m of up in a heavy enough setup without dying.
4) Take off the skins before trying to ski down
5) Put the boots into ski mode before trying to ski down
6) Put the books in walk mode before trying to walk up
7) Stockli stormriders can ski anything on their own, you just have to be standing on top of them.
8 ) Don't pass by your dog with the gluey side of your skins exposed
9) Try and leave your gloves on for transitioning, my feicing fingers got frozen this morning.
10) Be ready for your heart rate monitor to think you are actually about to die
latest report
Very Happy @coddlesangers, Brilliant! Very Happy
snow report
For all newbies, and to avoid not being invited again to tour with someone more experienced.

Spend some time in the garage/sitting room/kitchen practising getting in and out of your bindings.

If necessary use an indelible marker to pinpoint on top of your boot where your front toepiece insert is.

Understand how the heel piece & brakes work as you go into climbing mode.

Before going on our a tour find out if it's a good idea to put your skins on at home beforehand.

If getting a lift see if you can wear your boots.

Do not leave your boots outside for too long in the parking area, get them on as soon as possible.

If driving to parking area don't put boots in the boot, in the footwell with heater on if possible if windows are clear.

Get a pair of running gloves off Amazon (VBIGER Unisex Running Gloves) these will let you do a transition without getting hands cold and you'll climb in them as well.

Spend some time in the garage/sitting room/kitchen practising your transitions.

Change your height (if using telescopic) of your poles as soon as you stop. I use the straps I keep on for hanging various things I need such as clearing/airing my sunglasses

See if you feel comfortable not using your cheat sheets, you'll transition a whole load faster sticking the skin to itself and then once back home drying your skins you can sort them out.

Plus if doing a multi transition you don't even have to take your pack off!

And if a snow-boarder with a split-board do the above and blindfolded Laughing

Workout and know where your gear is in your pack - pack your gear as you'll need it for the transition.

Last in, first out, Down jacket - empty skin bag place in your top goggle pocket, along with hat as you take your wet sweaty buff off which you can place in your skin bag so when you get home you'll find it with your skins!

If keeping a second pair of gloves for the descent put in the pack rather than hanging with a carabiner off the pack, as they'll get cold and full of snow as you transition placing your pack in the snow.

In deep snow (difficult to practice indoors) keep one ski on as you transition so you don't sink into the snow.

And starting out from the parking wear a minimal amount of layers so that you feel cold, as otherwise within a 100m of vertical you'll be stopping wanting to take that Down jacket off!

Don't climb with goggles or helmet on as you'll get hot along with associated problems, get a proper helmet carrier for your pack rather than have it dangling off.

And if in Spring conditions they'll be a reason why the leader of the group might be getting frustrated if you're taking too long as it's all about timing and the transformation of the snow-pack. So if he says a five min break don't settle in for a picnic!

When skinning, slide the ski and don't lift it, try to be as quiet as possible pushing with the ball of your foot.

On gnarly traverses look down the hill which will put your back bottom more into the hill and weight over your skis, that's a difficult one to describe Confused

And don't scrimp on the sizing of a back-pack, 30lt way better than 20/25lt

Try to avoid bladders, they can come with a whole world of pain, though in Spring they do come into their own if you sweat a lot.

And if touring with a Frenchie ask them what the French is for "faff" as I've still yet to find out Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy