Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best magic carpet in French Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
All,

As I already live in France (Annecy), I would like to book a ski holiday with the family to a ski resort with a ski-in/ski-out to a nursery slopes with a looong magic carpet for the kids (2 and 4 years old) - because I assume they do run the magic carpets?

Would be great if anyone could propose the best option! For myself, I will continue with the ski touring ...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Moyes RX 4, I have no idea to which is the best, if they are actually running, or even what would be the criteria for the best one (is it just length that's important? wink ) but do I know that Val Thorens has three of them if that helps, and ski-in/ski out throughout the resort.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Moyes RX 4, welcome to SH's

One's that I've used in the past that were at resort level were at Les Menuires, Oz-en-Oisan.

But like Turnip not sure what the criteria for "the best" would be.

Not sure if they are running them at the moment either. If I was you I would contact the nearest resorts to you and enquire.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Moyes RX 4, they aren't running the magic carpets as far as I can see. They all look closed on resort pages. They were pulling up wee-ones using a horse in Monetier last week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve angus said the carpets were running in VDI
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As far as I know both Val Thorens and Meribel were running their magic carpets. Link to VT here - https://www.valthorens.com/en/useful-informations/what-to-do-in-val-thorens
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all.

I did look at the link for VT and they seem to be running ... My 4 year old is skiing quite fast now, so I would of course prefer for him to have a bit of a longer lift up, so he gets a bit of a run going down. VT seems pretty good also if I can find an apartment just next to the magic carpet.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep, the VT ones are currently running, with people using them. Just looked at the webcam... Not sure how they get away with that, under Covid regs, but there we are..! Someone said it's because they are deemed as transport, rather than ski lifts?! It's a very enclosed space, too... unlike, say, chairlifts...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The ones I have seen don't vary that much in length and all are on very shallow slopes so personally I wouldn't think they would much good beyond a couple of days.

When my son was just shy of 4 we stayed in Les Menuires and we did I think 3 or 4 sessions (a couple of hours a time) on the carpet before we started using the cable cars and chair lifts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
They are running in Les Carroz in the Grand Massif on certain lower slopes - check out the website - not a bad drive from Annecy.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Moyes RX 4 wrote:
Thanks all.

I did look at the link for VT and they seem to be running ... My 4 year old is skiing quite fast now, so I would of course prefer for him to have a bit of a longer lift up, so he gets a bit of a run going down. VT seems pretty good also if I can find an apartment just next to the magic carpet.

Lots of apartments near to the magic carpets so you can't go wrong really. The beauty is that the two magic carpets near the Peclet lift are on gentler slopes, whereas the Pollux magic carpet going up to Place de Caron is on a slightly steeper slope - so he/she gets a bit of variation. It's probably only 500-600m from place de caron down to the start of the lowest magic carpet, but that's probably longer than a lot of resorts.

The slope by Place de Caron also has a small sledging slope (and you can just set the magic carpet back up).

One word of warning, it's about 50 metres between the top of the Campagnols magic carpet and the Pollux magic carpet - not far but a bit tedious to walk across in skis.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy