Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche and Covid

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's the US' deadliest avalanche season in years. Experts say Covid is partially to blame
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/28/us/avalanche-death-covid-trnd/index.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably lobbing a grenade into the room here, but I can totally believe it, and it’s one thing that really annoys me about this situation – all the risk assessments are based on COVID and nothing else. Anyone would think you couldn’t die of anything else at the moment, when for most people, especially those involved in mountain sports, there are an infinite number of hazards that have a much higher chance of causing death than corona.

All the avalanche training courses have been cancelled, but people new to touring still need these to help keep themselves and others safe. Sound familiar? It was the same when climbing restarted last summer and various bodies were advising people to do their buddy checks from x metres away, not really considering that the chances of catching corona outside on a windy rock is pretty slim anyway, and that your average scrawny climber is not in any risk groups, and that therefore they are likely to be a lot more dead from a fall from height than a disease that generally has little detrimental effect on a fit healthy person.

I guess everyone could stay at home and injure themselves falling off ladders instead, but then you end up with a fat, lazy population who dies from heart disease Confused I understand the need for pandemic restrictions, but sometime I think we also need a bit of perspective.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
“a fat, lazy population who dies from heart disease “...obesity, poor metabolic health and poor cardiovascular health being major risk factors for covid, on top of age...ironically, U.K. style lockdown increases the susceptibility to covid illness
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plenty of people predicted it. Large numbers of new tourers entering the country with questionable knowledge and experience was likely to cause some excess deaths. It looks like 19 skiers/snowboarders have died this year, which actually is lower than what I might have expected.

The issue is not a healthy young skier catching covid. The issue is them spreading it to more vulnerable people.

Quote:

when for most people, especially those involved in mountain sports, there are an infinite number of hazards that have a much higher chance of causing death than corona.

Yes and then the injured people put search and rescue and medical professionals at risk and take up hospital beds that may be in short supply.

Quote:

age...ironically, U.K. style lockdown increases the susceptibility to covid illness

Not really. While gyms and pools have been closed there's been nothing to stop you exercising either at home or running/cycling outdoors. I know plenty of people that are working less (furlough, or just saving commuting time as working at home) and spending more time exercising than normal. I don't see why UK lockdown has any effect on diet - in fact not being in an office and having to grab fast food for lunch and less eating out is probably improved diets if anything. Of course it's a convenient excuse for some that lockdown is the cause of their problems.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy