Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Women’s lightweight touring rig

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any recommendations for a lightweight female specific rig? Looking at Salomon MTN 88, Marker Alpinist 8, Atomic Backland boots https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/atomic/backland-expert-w-sc.html

Wife is a strong skier, narrow feet ex Lange Alpine boots and Dalbello Lupo 130 Freeride boots. Want significantly lighter all round so she can hold her own with the testosterone crew. Downhill performance is a 2nd priority
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, I can tell you what I’ve got, and everyone who picks up my skis is in awe at how light they are, and they’re not small either.

Tecnica zeroG women’s boots
Marker Alpinist
Scott Superguide 95 in 168

No downhill performance compromise required Very Happy


Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 12-02-21 20:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Narrow feet might not work with those Tecnica boots, though the men’s version might be ok if she’s got skinny legs as well. But you know about boot fitting, so I’ll leave it at that.

Edited for spelling Embarassed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, movement make some great value light weight skis , some of the ladies on our Norway trip rated them highly , the new axess could fit the bill , mtn binding and fisher cs travers boot are some other options
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
Well, I can tell you what I’ve got, and everyone who picks up my skis is in awe at how light they are, and they’re not small either.

Tecnica zeroG women’s boots
Marker Alpinist
Scott Superguide 95 in 168

No downhill performance compromise required Very Happy


Like it a lot but as you say ZeroG fit my fat feet and the missus is way narrower. I looked at the SGuide 95 (1500g?) and 85 but the Sally 88’s were lighter (1200g).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dabber wrote:
@BobinCH, movement make some great value light weight skis , some of the ladies on our Norway trip rated them highly , the new axess could fit the bill , mtn binding and fisher cs travers boot are some other options


Movement great skis I’m sure but expensive here vs similar weight alternatives! Will check the travers boots. Thanks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well my OH would get very annoyed at the male of the household asking this question on behalf of their Mrs Laughing

She is a strong tourer and good skier, and has been very frustrated at the lack of women fat touring skis over the past four or five seasons, in most cases women have to make do with men's skis when it comes to anything above 100 wide.

Though she does at least have Scott Womens SG boots.

Anyhow she vented her spleen here and talks about the holy grail of womens touring skis and her purchase, though not a pure womens touring ski, it does have the width in the length she wanted, though not too sure @BobinCH, would approve of the binding selection Laughing

https://stylealtitude.com/all-the-new-gear-and-no-idea-whats-happening.html

And irony on irony she's still in the UK whilst I babysit her pride and joy Very Happy



Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 12-02-21 22:30; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
Well my OH would get very annoyed at the male of the household asking this question on behalf of their Mrs Laughing

She is a strong tourer and good skier, and has been very frustrated at the lack of women fat touring skis over the past four or five seasons, in most cases women have to make do with men's skis when it comes to anything above 100 wide.

Though she does at least have Scott Womens SG boots.

Anyhow she vented her spleen here and talks about the holy grail of womens touring skis and her purchase, though not too sure @BobinCH, would approve of the binding selection Laughing

https://stylealtitude.com/all-the-new-gear-and-no-idea-whats-happening.html

And irony on irony she's still in the UK whilst I babysit her pride and joy Very Happy


Xenic Skullie Skullie Skullie
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam wrote:
Well my OH would get very annoyed at the male of the household asking this question on behalf of their Mrs Laughing

Quite right Cool

@BobinCH, kitchen scales says 1x Superguide + Alpinist = 1750g

I’m sure she can find a better fitting boot than randomly picking one her husband found on an Internet forum though Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I (male) apparently have very, very narrow ankles and pretty small feet and the Niklas's at Concept ultimately dis put me into Zero-G Pros ... Technica's are not very wide... mind you, for all their boots they've only stocked the narrowest lasts .. 'cos ...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, the issue with the zeroG pro for a woman is that it has a narrow cuff that finishes quite high compared to the women’s model. Skinny legs, or probably just a bit taller, and it might work, but I noped out after about 30 sec...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, ahhh, but girlies don't need such a beefy boot do they? and the girly versions are in nicer pastel colours, non?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The missus already has some beefy Dalbellos with pin holes and 96mm skis with shifts so really looking for circa 1000g boots and max 1200g skis
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anything in the Volkl V-Werks range? They are a beautiful layup in carbon whenever I've looked at them, not tried any though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:
Well my OH would get very annoyed at the male of the household asking this question on behalf of their Mrs Laughing

She is a strong tourer and good skier, and has been very frustrated at the lack of women fat touring skis over the past four or five seasons, in most cases women have to make do with men's skis when it comes to anything above 100 wide.

Though she does at least have Scott Womens SG boots.

Anyhow she vented her spleen here and talks about the holy grail of womens touring skis and her purchase, though not a pure womens touring ski, it does have the width in the length she wanted, though not too sure @BobinCH, would approve of the binding selection Laughing

https://stylealtitude.com/all-the-new-gear-and-no-idea-whats-happening.html

And irony on irony she's still in the UK whilst I babysit her pride and joy Very Happy



Putting a Xenic on that beauty is heresy
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Lovely review of the Backlands Very Happy

Basically Nordic boots
I skied a whole season in these. Hated them the whole time. They are amazingly comfortable on the climb but you pay for it skiing down. When I flex the boot in ski mood the whole boot kind of collapses outward- super soft plastic with little to no support. there is also a weak connection point right above the bar the holds you in ski mode. I broke both boots in this spot within 5-6 tours. These boots are honestly awful. I also weigh 130 lbs, so I’m not putting massive force on these. Hopefully next year’s boot is better. Atomic has a lot of great product, but these are not that.

Length of ownership 3-6 months
Eh oh! No, I do not recommend this product.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name, Toofy Grin I guess there's the Scout, which I think is navy blue and somewhere in between, but not stocked where I got fitted. Mine are white, which is acceptable, except that my alpine boots are white too, which may turn out not to be acceptable if I ever have to be somewhere very early at short notice Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On a cautionary note, post-Brexit use of Sport Conrad's great prices could leave you open to hefty import charges - seemingly unknown until the point of delivery... Confused
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/21/britons-buying-from-eu-websites-face-more-than-100-import-duties
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict wrote:
On a cautionary note, post-Brexit use of Sport Conrad's great prices could leave you open to hefty import charges - seemingly unknown until the point of delivery... Confused
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/21/britons-buying-from-eu-websites-face-more-than-100-import-duties


It’s ok to CH. on the other hand Sports pursuit no Lo her ships to CH. These look superb 1100g
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/movement/alp-tracks-89-ltd.html
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BobinCH wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
On a cautionary note, post-Brexit use of Sport Conrad's great prices could leave you open to hefty import charges - seemingly unknown until the point of delivery... Confused
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/21/britons-buying-from-eu-websites-face-more-than-100-import-duties


It’s ok to CH. on the other hand Sports pursuit no Lo her ships to CH. These look superb 1100g
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/movement/alp-tracks-89-ltd.html


From their description "DOUBLE TITANAL PLATE
Two titanium plates are completely integrated (on the upper and lower part of the ski) in the wood core construction in order to guarantee stability and performance
when skiing."

Skis look good but they don't understand what's in them. Guess that's why the marketer's came up with Titanal as generally it's confused with Titanium. The power of suggestion Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What is the difference between mens and womens skis?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet, I know of a certain UIAGM guide (lead guide on expedition in question) who got all the way to South Georgia to discover he'd brought his wife's skis (same model/bindings) and no immediate solution to get them to fit his rather larger boots ... Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MorningGory wrote:
What is the difference between mens and womens skis?


Usually a bit lighter and less stiff I think
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In this weight category you can't beat the Scott Speedguide 80 or 89.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:
MorningGory wrote:
What is the difference between mens and womens skis?


Usually a bit lighter and less stiff I think


And pinker
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, Never do his 'n' hers skis. Or boots for that matter. It won't end well Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH,

An understatement to say you are not putting massive force on your boots. It's shocking that they've knackered under your 9 stones. Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
KenX wrote:
.. And pinker
This is true, although it probably wasn't in the 1980s. I asked DaKine (Da Kine in the olden days) about their women's snowboard bags, and the difference between them and the male (assigned gender at birth) version. I thought maybe they'd have tampon pockets or something. The answer was simply the colour. I assume the reason they were cheaper than the "male" version was that if you were concerned about the size of your **** you daren't rock the fancy colours.

What's a "stone", some kind of measurement of weight? Like a brick?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have a look at the Alptracks range from Movement for skis and Scarpa Gea RS for boots. Any light tech binding from Dynafit, Plum or any reputable company would do.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BobinCH,

My Mrs, also a strong skier and ski tourer for years, loves her Salomon MTN 88’s and Marker Alpinist 8’s.

Can’t comment on boots particularly. My wife (wide feet) loves her Scott’s, my daughter (narrow feet) loves her Zero G’s.
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
zzz wrote:
@BobinCH,

My Mrs, also a strong skier and ski tourer for years, loves her Salomon MTN 88’s and Marker Alpinist 8’s.

Can’t comment on boots particularly. My wife (wide feet) loves her Scott’s, my daughter (narrow feet) loves her Zero G’s.


That’s interesting. Is it this one https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/tecnica/zero-g-tour-scout-w.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9OHDx-3o7gIVy-3mCh2HeAHVEAQYASABEgJrYvD_BwE
I’m in the men’s pro version and my wife’s feet are much narrower than mine!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bergmeister wrote:
BobinCH,

An understatement to say you are not putting massive force on your boots. It's shocking that they've knackered under your 9 stones. Shocked


Not my review Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thing is that whilst there are many skis for women that work well in Spring conditions, my OH was frustrated when we were touring in winter and skiing powder etc not only here but Japan

Whilst we guys were on anything from 108 to 117 her option was her Noridica El Nina 110s and Fritschi Tecton, still a cracking ski for women but after a couple of years she did the math and worked out she was carrying far more weight than us Laughing

She worked out
A quick bit of maths shows that for a mid-length tour (5-6km) we’re taking around 10,000 steps, so saving 500g per ski/binding equates to 5 tonnes less needing to be moved up the hill.

More on her calculations here

So that's the additional part of the equation what width and it is ironic that all the men ski big fat skis and expect the women to make do with <100mm but there again I suppose the women could claim to have better technique in the pow and not need the help of that additional width Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, it's not so much your feet but your ankles that matter ... tight pockets required (not just 'cos I'm a Scotsman wink )
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BobinCH wrote:
Dabber wrote:
@BobinCH, movement make some great value light weight skis , some of the ladies on our Norway trip rated them highly , the new axess could fit the bill , mtn binding and fisher cs travers boot are some other options


Movement great skis I’m sure but expensive here vs similar weight alternatives! Will check the travers boots. Thanks


https://www.wildsnow.com/28975/its-go-time-fischer-travers-cs-boot-review/

or >>>>>>>>>>>>>.

https://www.wildsnow.com/28994/pierre-gignoux-mountain-review/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dabber wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Dabber wrote:
@BobinCH, movement make some great value light weight skis , some of the ladies on our Norway trip rated them highly , the new axess could fit the bill , mtn binding and fisher cs travers boot are some other options


Movement great skis I’m sure but expensive here vs similar weight alternatives! Will check the travers boots. Thanks


https://www.wildsnow.com/28975/its-go-time-fischer-travers-cs-boot-review/

or >>>>>>>>>>>>>.

https://www.wildsnow.com/28994/pierre-gignoux-mountain-review/


Thanks. It’s 104mm last in the Travers is massive no? I think her Lange boots were 97mm
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BobinCH,
Yep, those ones. She loves them.
Like you I have the male version but in green, not yellow.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH,
I would still be looking at the Atomic Backland boots despite that earlier review, maybe also see if you can find any Scarpa Alien RS or Dynafit TLT6s which are both quite low volume.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobinCH, last is 100 not 104 as stated , typo for sure

Ankle hold is good and fit out of the box is very good , the boa system cinches down really well to give excellent ankle hold , and the walk mode is soo comfortable that no need to undo buckle and straps on transition is a real bonus
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Decision time... Have plumped for @Spyderjon’s Speedguide 80’s with @Gorilla’s ATK Crests and the Technica Zero-G Scouts. Not a truly lightweight boot but she’s ditching so much weight this setup will feel like walking on air. And hoping the Zero-G’s will have some future freeride potential. Current Dalbello’s are a 98 last so the Technica 99 should be manageable. Thanks to all for all the ideas and personal recommendations as always snowHead
snow report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy