Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski TV channel (and Snow TV channel) launches on Freeview

Poster: A snowHead
I don't think this has previously been posted here, but recently a new free Ski TV channel launched on Freeview, available for those with a smart TV with an internet connection. Freeview Channel 271 is the Channelbox multi-channel data service which currently has 17 channels, including the Ski TV channel. I've had a quick look and it seems to be showing mainly North American originated skiing TV coverage. https://advanced-television.com/2020/12/16/ski-tv-channel-launches-on-freeview/

As the link says, SkiTV originated in Australia. Channelbox has its own twitter account: https://twitter.com/channelboxtv

Edit: The Snow TV channel has also now been added to the Channelbox lineup.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 9-02-21 12:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Alastair Pink, Good shout. Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks I’ll take a gander
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got Roku, I think. Must have a look. Fair few various snowboarding free channels I've found; little skiing as yet.
Never sure whether I like watching ATM or just feel insanely jealous and sad.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"Service not available" and before anyone asks. Yes, it is a modern tv, connected to an aerial and the internet.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Just gave it a try and although it is listed as Data Only, it loads the program selection screen and Ski TV can be watched. It started off a a bit pixelated but soon shorted itself out Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Timc, it's working for me (I get my Freeview service from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter). Do you get the Channelbox menu come up with a choice of 17 channels (including France24 as a matter of interest)?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timc wrote:
"Service not available" and before anyone asks. Yes, it is a modern tv, connected to an aerial and the internet.

Same for me. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ster, do you get the Channelbox menu come up as shown in @PowderAdict's post?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Alastair Pink, No, just the white text on black background. Mendip transmitter I think.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weirdly, I can view it through my Smart TV itself, but if I try using my YouView (Humax) set top box it says I need to connect to the internet.
Both the TV & the s.t.box are connected to the router using Ethernet cables so I can't understand why it doesn't see the connection on the s.t.box
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@ster, do you get the Channelbox menu come up as shown in @PowderAdict's post?

I get a message about it not being compatible with my receiver (an old Humax). Odd as I can get other internet only freeview channels.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not available for me - 271 shows in the listings as Channelbox, current 'programme' listed as "Smart channels for Connected TV", but is only bringing up a "No Signal" message. I'm on a smart TV, which has generally been brilliant, and not struggled to load anything.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As an aside, one of the 17 channels in the Channelbox offering is OANPlus. For those people who don't know, it's a US TV channel that attracts Trump supporters, QAnon conspiracy theorists etc. Out of curiosity I just had a quick look yesterday evening. It was a discussion with some woman who was claiming that Trump won the US election with 80 million more votes than Biden! I don't think I'll bother watching again. Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Alastair Pink, so I’m not missing much? wink
latest report
@ster, indeed. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
271 didn't show in the guide, but when I typed in 271 on the remote it came up.
snow report
It did not work through my freeview recorder box but does directly from my smart TV.
snow conditions
@Timc, We are on Mendip transmitter and can get it here.
ski holidays
My Virgin TivO box has a completely different channel on 271 Puzzled
ski holidays
works here. just type 271 for channel. didn't check freeview listings.
latest report
Strange, my 2013 Samsung gets it my 2021 Samsung doesn't. The wonders of modern technology Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Timc wrote:
Strange, my 2013 Samsung gets it my 2021 Samsung doesn't. The wonders of modern technology Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

Yes, there'll probably be some subtle technical difference regarding the way Channelbox streams its data and the hardware in your two different Samsung models. That's apart from the fact that some people may not be able to receive it because their Freeview transmitter isn't actually carrying it yet. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Got it! There’s also Snow TV next to Ski TV
ski holidays
Had the same issue as @fixx and other earlier, (says channel name but just blank screen) refreshed channel list earlier which didn't sort it, but just checked again and now working.
snow report
Kennyboyo wrote:
Got it! There’s also Snow TV next to Ski TV

Yes, that seems to be a new channel which was only added yesterday! I've just gone to it and caught the end of some freestyle skiing from New Zealand which was being commentated on by Ed Leigh! That ties in with the fact that Ed was in New Zealand before he moved to Laax in Switzerland to present the current series of Ski Sunday.

Incidentally I noticed that both Snow TV and Ski TV have a button displayed at the start at the top RH corner indicating that the picture is HD, if you press the blue button on your remote control you can toggle it to SD, which might possibly help if anyone is getting problems with the picture freezing due to low data rate on their internet connection.

P.S Ski TV currently showing a travel item on Hochgurgl and Obergurgl. Smile
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, Ed lives in New Zealand
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, ah, I didn't know he was mainly based in New Zealand, thanks for that. Of course at the moment he's living in Switzerland during the duration of Ski Sunday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Richard_Sideways, ah, I didn't know he was mainly based in New Zealand, thanks for that. Of course at the moment he's living in Switzerland during the duration of Ski Sunday.

he did make a point of saying it in Ski Sunday & that he was not there illegally!
snow report
@Mr.Egg, yep! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Snowsartre wrote:
My Virgin TivO box has a completely different channel on 271 Puzzled

You need to be on Freeview, not Virgin.
ski holidays
Episodes of Ski TV - based and hosted in the Australian resorts, but featuring European and North American resort reports - used to appear on the Travel Channel on the Sky system.

Is this the same programme?
snow report
@LOTA, probably, I never watched the Travel Channel (because I don't have Sky!)
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
Not available for me - 271 shows in the listings as Channelbox, current 'programme' listed as "Smart channels for Connected TV", but is only bringing up a "No Signal" message. I'm on a smart TV, which has generally been brilliant, and not struggled to load anything.

Oooh it's now working for me! This morning was the first time I tried it again - got the full selection menu, and have been able to select and load Ski TV Smile Yay!
snow report
@fixx, That's what I was getting too - will have to retry
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy