Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evo 5 Avalanche Beacon Review

Poster: A snowHead
Arva Evo 5 Avalanche Beacon. It is maybe a bit too keen to get the first signal before it is really stable, if it doesn't tell you to make a U turn keep advancing even if the figures are a bit unstable at the limit of the range. I liked the size. I didn't like the slider switch too much and wonder if this will be a weak point in the future? With just one battery you will need to keep an eye on the power level and make sure it is turned off at the end of the day.

http://youtube.com/v/Echfg7B5uRI
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting thanks

Not that reliable over 30m away it seems. How does the LCD screen hold up in strong sunlight?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Interesting thanks

Not that reliable over 30m away it seems. How does the LCD screen hold up in strong sunlight?

LCD seems pretty clear to me, there is also a backlight for low light but I've not tested that or even seen how it works. I'll try a night test.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks & I like the small size.

Here's a grouptest for comparison of other models.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-avalanche-beacon?specs=n&n=0&sort_field=#compare
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah I picked one up as I like the concept. Not tested in practice anger even due to lock down. Me, not it.

Oh yeah, the bit which is a pain is that if you're turning it off you have to press the "mark" button as well, which is something
I'm going to have to tell everyone about or if I get in a slide and get found whilst unconscious they'll be having to take
the batteries out to stop the thing sending. So I think that feature isn't great, but once you know, and your makes know, it's
easy enough.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I tried the Arva Axio (the one with the flip down Z antenna), which was supposed to be the next big thing when it came out. I found that at extreme range when trying to pick up a signal it would often point you in the wrong direction, when a Barryvox, Tracker 3 or Pieps Pro, in the same position would either show no signal, or the correct direction.

It’s good to see innovation, but these small lightweight models are being driven by the requirement for Skimo/Rando racers to carry a transceiver that actually works, rather than just there to tick a box. So as mentioned, they only have half the range of the top models.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't think so. They all work.
Effective ranges are easily found here:
https://beaconreviews.com/transceiver_comparison.php

I'd be very wary of using any transceiver at maximum range.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philwig wrote:

Aren't you bound to be initially using them at max range when you first pick up a signal?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
adithorp wrote:
philwig wrote:

Aren't you bound to be initially using them at max range when you first pick up a signal?

I think he means max range when making a strip search. I would recomend no more than 1/3 max range for strip search. That is 1/3 of what you know your tranciver will do, not what is written on the box.

When doing Pisteur (ski patrol) training, we found a lot of the time most peoples trancivers picked up signals at 15m! not before!
And it makes a huge difference how you hold (or rather move) you transciver doing you initial search. I could beat most people by 50% with their transciver!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Idris, I guess you're right.

Having done some range tests, I certainly wouldn't rely on the manufacturers claimed range for strip search.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’m by no means an expert, but I know what I saw when I was testing the 4 transceivers mentioned. I know that I prefer using a transceiver that locks on at twice the range which is why I used to have the Barryvox Pulse and now the Barryvox S. When I’ve been forced to use another transceiver (in Canada under a legal/T&C’s requirement), doing their ‘training’ with a Tracker 2 for example searching was painful.

On a few of occasions when I’ve been out with a guide, and we have been waiting for a lift to open or something, we have filled the time with a quick search test. The guide has buried their transceiver while my back is turned, and then I search for it. Usually with the Barryvox I switch to search wait a few seconds and if it is with 60m, walk in the guided arc straight to the location. Since I could do it so easily I’ve even been accused of cheating by looking at where it was buried, so we swapped places, and the guide used my Barryvox, and did the same as me rolling eyes

I agree with the handling comments, so I don’t wave the transceiver around, that is another reason why I like the Barryvox with its arrow pointer rather than simple LEDs.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I also use a Barryvox Pulse and when doing training with the local Austrian mountain rescue (Bergrettung) team could pick up a buried signal easily at 40m. With modern 3 antenna units waving around is pretty much a thing of the past.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PowderAdict wrote:

On a few of occasions when I’ve been out with a guide, and we have been waiting for a lift to open or something, we have filled the time with a quick search test. The guide has buried their transceiver while my back is turned, and then I search for it. Usually with the Barryvox I switch to search wait a few seconds and if it is with 60m, walk in the guided arc straight to the location. Since I could do it so easily I’ve even been accused of cheating by looking at where it was buried, so we swapped places, and the guide used my Barryvox, and did the same as me rolling eyes

On my Pisteurs exam, I did the same. Stood in the start gate and waited till my Barryvox s told me where to go, before starting the clock. On marking the 1st victim (on first probe) I counted to 5 and then calmly walked to the seccond - fastest time of the day, out of 50!

BUT ther were at least 20 people with Barryvox and Barryvox s, but some of them took 5+ min to do what took me 1 min 50. Parctice, Practice, Practice....then be calm.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having upgraded to a Barryvox s s when they came out from a Tracker DTS, the difference is night and day. It's that good that a training setting to make it harder for practice would be handy, rather than just switch to search and walk straight to the target.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
adithorp wrote:
Having upgraded to a Barryvox s s when they came out from a Tracker DTS, the difference is night and day. It's that good that a training setting to make it harder for practice would be handy, rather than just switch to search and walk straight to the target.

Have somone bury the beacon at depth, or steep slope or uneven ground. Start a long way off, with skis on. Search for 2 beacons.
ski holidays
Idris wrote:
adithorp wrote:

Have somone bury the beacon at depth, or steep slope or uneven ground. Start a long way off, with skis on. Search for 2 beacons.

I'm sure that's work but when someone else has set up a search/exercise, saying this isn't hard enough makes you look a bit of a tw4t Toofy Grin
latest report
adithorp wrote:

I'm sure that's work but when someone else has set up a search/exercise, saying this isn't hard enough makes you look a bit of a tw4t Toofy Grin

Yes, but only initialy. If they keep making it harder and you still make it look like a walki in the park. they should be impressed not pissed...be careful it can make a fool of you Wink

22/23 years ago in Whistler (my first winter season) and again 20 years ago (my first season in Chamonix). I met a few people who I thought were a bit full of themselves, as you say a bit of a tw4t. But I learned the hardway, that they were better than they claimed to be and were actually being humble rather than bragging!
latest report
Idris wrote:
...be careful it can make a fool of you Wink

If they've seen me ski, they already think that anyway.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy