Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Sella Ronda with no lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Igor from the Ustaria Posta in Badia has just posted his video of him doing the Sella Ronda with all the lifts closed. It's long but quite a good watch. There are a few useful tips in it.

I know we tend to talk about how there's nothing too special about the Sella Ronda but it looks wonderful in the sunshine without any crowds.

Respect to Igor!

http://youtube.com/v/OZsQOwevV_w

The closed caption / subtitles are in English.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I subscribe to him, great channel! I look forward to visiting Corvara next year! fingers crossed!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I watched all of it yesterday - impressive, guy must be super fit !!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Loved the video and considering it was over 40 minutes long, it went by pretty quick!

Was great recognising runs/landmarks - hoping to be back there next February! snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Was great recognising runs/landmarks - hoping to be back there next February!

Yes, I've now booked my hotel for next year. They tell me a lot of people from this year have just carried their booking over to next year so they're already filling up.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the heads-up. I've watched a few of his previous uploads, steady camera work and good editing/commentary.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Really enjoyed that one. I enjoy all of his videos. Bit surreal going past the Plan Boe without a snowHead banner.

Did he give the overall time at the end?

Only 50 weeks to the BB (not that I'm counting Very Happy )

Watched follow on video of the hidden valley, showing how good a skier his son is.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"..Watched follow on video of the hidden valley.."

http://youtube.com/v/-S3HSCbGh5E

-- and skiing the Hidden Valley un-pisted (during Covid times) :: Scotoni's were open though..!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"..Did he give the overall time at the end?.."

At one point the said he was as 2 hours 45 mins in (at Lupo Bianco)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No idea who the guy is, but enjoyed the video. Been a while since i've been to the dolomites, I think 2011 was the last time. I think it could be on the cards soon.

Interesting to hear some of his tips on routes to take to cut out lifts etc.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think he runs a hotel in Badia?

He has a few vids up showing tips like how to get all the way back if you miss the last lift. Also plenty of bike vids online too (both roadie and MTB/offroad), and some of the bike vids actually show those paths that you'd totally miss when skiing which could be handy to get back (at least to Corvara/La Villa).

That was a good watch, especially the last bit.

Can't wait till the next BB. And I'm deffo going there on a bike in summer too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never been but so an interesting watch.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andy wrote:
He has a few vids up showing tips like how to get all the way back if you miss the last lift.

Or when you accidently ski down a closed piste to a closed lift. Embarassed
I watched it on a big screen and was immersed into the surroundings, bitter sweet.
A few times I have thought about continuing past the Savoia Rifugio at the top of the Vauz gondola, Pordoi Pass but wasn't confident looking at the piste
map that run, red 7 was all down hill. I'll have to give it a go, it looks like a short cut.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
He wasn't too particular about his skis when he skied down the road in Arabba - I cringed ......!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
olderscot wrote:
Igor from the Ustaria Posta in Badia has just posted his video of him doing the Sella Ronda with all the lifts closed. It's long but quite a good watch. There are a few useful tips in it.

I know we tend to talk about how there's nothing too special about the Sella Ronda but it looks wonderful in the sunshine without any crowds.

Respect to Igor!

http://youtube.com/v/OZsQOwevV_w

The closed caption / subtitles are in English.

If I had one day left on this planet. This would be it. Simply sensational
ski holidays
I've now watched most of his videos - I've never been to the Dolomites in the winter, only in the summer, but it's now on my bucket list. A thoroughly professional approach to vlogging.

As an aside, the menu at his hotel isn't half bad either. A great mix of Italian and Germanic food.
ski holidays
I really enjoy watching his videos which include his family; they are my favourite skiing videos. Watching his kids grow up year by year and seeing their skiing improve. It's lovely. snowHead
latest report
Conveniently placed for a lunch stop on a trip to Santa Croce
snow report
If it hadn't involved about a bazillion privately paid PCR tests... I'd be more than happy to be there for a week or two and ski(mo) without lifts.

Looks utterly amazing without all the people!

@DixieDean, Welcome to south-tirol... The area that doesn't know whether it is Austrian or Italian... (it's been in both through its history)
ski holidays
Ballpark...how many km, would far he have walked , climbed on the SR journey
ski holidays
A friend did it a couple of year ago on his tele skis. Very impressive but manageable. Are there are about distinct climbs?
snow report
A friend did it a couple of year ago on his tele skis. Very impressive but manageable. Are there are about five distinct climbs?
snow conditions
@dublin2, I had a quick look at the skimarathon video, which takes the same route, but drops into Canezei and back , presumably to add a couple of Km to make up the full 50k.

Nice short 3D video of route.

http://youtube.com/v/FMWxvDIIHxg

He starts at Badia, and takes a route through the Forest to Corvara (10km). Add on the return from Corvara to Badia (another 10km), which he did by bike tow.

I estimate the total distance to be in the region of 70km, less a couple because he by-passed Canezei.

Pretty good average speed over the 6 hours.

Maybe someone can work out the vertical climb?
snow report
Love to spend a day doing that.
snow conditions
@Peter S, @dublin2, There is a lot of uphill getting from Corvara to Campolongo, and then up to Bec de Roces. (500m vertical).

There is then approx 5km of uphill from Arabba to Pordoi Pass, (600m vertical), followed by a long cruising run down.

He by-passed the small lift area of Plan di Gralba

If you took the full Marathon route, there would be quite a steep climb out of Canezei, with another 5km up to PassoSella, (650m vertical) then another nice long cruise down to Val Gardina.

You then have, probably the longest and steepest climb up to Dantercepies (650m vertical),

So 4 Distinct climbs (the short downhill section on the route from Canezei to Passo Sella can be discounted, it's effectively 1 long climb), approx 2.5km vertical + whatever there would be through the forest to Badia.

Not a bad day out. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 20-02-21 16:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Would it be easier or harder doing it in reverse?

I think the clockwise has the steeper lifts and longer runs, so in reverse, you might have a lot more hiking, and less skiing.

You'd start with a 15km, 700m vertical hike.

Maybe some of you more intrepid, and fitter snowHead might want to give both a try and give us some feedback? Puzzled

Ronald?
snow report
What a fab video, looked stunning via the YouTube app on my tv.

Wonder what camera he uses ? Great quality and very steady especially on the descents.
ski holidays
sheffskibod wrote:
What a fab video, looked stunning via the YouTube app on my tv.

Wonder what camera he uses ? Great quality and very steady especially on the descents.

Looked like from the shadows, he had the camera attached to a gimbal to keep it steady
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@brianatab, Shallow gradients are very inefficient on touring gear... You cannot really run on it like you can on XC skis... so I imagine there can be significant difference in time taken CW vs CCW.

Hard to judge without planning the route in detail. You wouldn't follow every piste and lift. Like the 3 lifts at Passo Gardena (Frara, Val Setus, Cir) I'd do a shortcut from crossing Cir lift line directly to the ridge near Panaroma (the button tow near Dantercepies summit).
Then it all depends on how faithful to which route you'd want to be. As Igor points out, you don't need to go up Bec the Roces from Campolongo to get to Arabba.

I think I like this chap, he has a very good idea about fun: https://www.holimites.com/en/
snow report
I presume you've realised that https://www.holimites.com/en/ involves Igor's wife? And, indeed, he appears to some of the videos.
ski holidays
@Ronald, I thought that the ccw would take longer, as the climbs are longer than cw. The hike from Canezei up to Pordoi Pass would also be a long one.

You probably can take detours to avoid some climbs, but the route over Bec De Roces is actually the route taken by the Skimarathon, which apart from the short foray down to Canezei, was the route taken in the video. I used that route to calculate the distances.

Not sure about the comparable overall length of the Sella Ronda in each direction, but if you were going to make a fair XC comparison, then the same route would have to be done in reverse.

I've never tried XC, and am not fit enough for this sort of distance Embarassed . Would have to leave it up to you younger, fitter guys. wink
latest report
I think I may know a snowhead who'd be up for the Skimarathon... @captainslow, are you up for it?

Not convinced overall XC gear with be enough of an advantage, though Telemark skiable metal edged XC gear does exist, I think it's still mostly geared for terrain found in ... well Telemark.

http://youtube.com/v/UCK2SYLILnA
latest report
I think there's a vid of him skiing the loop (with lifts) and riding it by bike in 1 day too.
snow conditions
@brianatab @Ronald @sheffskibod @swskier @awdbugger @dublin2

Igor has replied with the following information:
▶ Camera gear used:
My old and trusted GoPro7 together with the GoPro Karma Grip Gimbal
Side note: The GoPro7 is the last camera that still works with the GoPro Karma Grip.
This gimbal, sadly not anymore available (https://amzn.to/2ZF4ykM), is really the best gimbal ever I used for sport activities, unbreakable and easy to handle.

▶ Drone:
DJI Mavic2: https://amzn.to/3unHLYE

▶ GPS Track:
Check out my STRAVA activity here:
https://www.strava.com/activities/4734093743

▶ Climbing details
Total climbing distance: 18,5 km
Total altitude gain: 2.472 m
More details by analyzing the STRAVA activity at the link above

▶ Who I'm and what I do?
I'm Igor Eh oh! and I manage the family owned hotel in Badia -> Ustaria Posta (https://www.ustariaposta.it/en/)
And NO ... you will not be able to book a room at the hotel if you try it through Booking.com or any portals.
We like and love direct contact with our guests and if you are looking for a vacation in the Dolomites just mention in your request you saw the Sellaronda Video for a special deal Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow conditions
Is this the same gimbal? https://www.amazon.co.uk/GoPro-Karma-Grip-Stabilizer-Black/dp/B01NCHIQJL/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=gopro+karma+grip&qid=1614006124&quartzVehicle=3738-500&replacementKeywords=gopro+grip&sr=8-5&tag=amz07b-21

I've got the short grip handle, which gives a good stability, but this might help keep the subject in frame.
ski holidays
I really enjoyed that. I thought I would watch in stages but once I started I was hooked.
snow conditions
It’s a great YT channel uploads weekly and it gets me excited ready for my first trip to Corvara & the Dolomites in general March 22!!!
ski holidays
@andy, He actually refers to that while being towed along the bisexual by said friend wink

@DixieDean, I still want to take my bike out there, so I'll remember that.
snow report
"....towed along the bisexual by said friend...." ???? Shock

Auto-Correct ??
latest report
@albob,
Quote:

Auto-Correct ??

No. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy