Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do ski reviewers drink manufacturer marketing Koolaid?

Poster: A snowHead
WARNING: Non-Corona related thread! Reader discretion advised.

For a few years I've had the full rocker Volkl Mantra. Reviewers at the time all agreed that this was a heavy ski. Fancying a change (you know how it goes) I've bought some Atomic Vantage 90 Tis. Reviewers all agree that this is a light ski.

However, weighed on my scales the Vantages are just 100g lighter than the Mantras! What gives? Maybe the bindings on the Atomics are made out of lead, whilst those on the Volkls are made out of Unicorn guffs.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are your scales well reviewed?

Are the Atomics longer?

snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The scales measure my wife daily, so have to be accurate (or err on the low side wink). The Atomics are 1cm shorter (169 vs 170 for the Mantras).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 23-12-21 12:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
greengriff wrote:
The scales measure my wife daily, so have to be accurate (or err on the low side wink. The Atomics are 1cm shorter (169 vs 170 for the Mantras).

That reminds me of a Jethro (who passed away recently) joke:

My wife asked me to get her a machine that would go from 0 - 160 in 3 seconds.

So I got her a Bathroom Scales!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@greengriff, Yes!

You could try looking at the specs --- but does 100g (or 3 1/2 ounces) really matter? That's less than putting an extra layer on when it's cold!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Old Fartbag, Or the old one:

I went to the docs to ask about my increasing size. After weighing me he asked what weight I was the last time I was weighed. I replied 7 lbs 8oz.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski wrote:
@greengriff, Yes!

You could try looking at the specs --- but does 100g (or 3 1/2 ounces) really matter? That's less than putting an extra layer on when it's cold!

No, it doesn't matter to me, but that's not what I'm getting at: How can one ski be described by reviewers as 'heavy' and another as 'light' when they weigh almost exactly the same? It would appear they simply take the manufacturer's description and amplify it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some unexpectedly good jokes to irritate my family with at Christmas dinner!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
greengriff wrote:
The scales measure my wife daily, so have to be accurate (or err on the low side wink. The Atomics are 1cm shorter (169 vs 170 for the Mantras).

And the award for the best response of 2021 goes to... (drum roll, excitement raised by a long pause...)

Greengriff! Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Charliegolf wrote:
greengriff wrote:

And the award for the best response of 2021 goes to... (drum roll, excitement raised by a long pause...)

Greengriff! Very Happy

Cheers! I'd written this year off as another one where I'd won bug all, so happy days!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wouldn't it be more useful to check actual manufacturers spec' sheets weights rather than going off reviewers perceived weight?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BTW. Nothing wrong with Koolaid - I bought a 5 Gallon drum of it (cheaper that way), as it's the only way I can get through the day. One small glassful and everything looks peachy. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
adithorp wrote:
Wouldn't it be more useful to check actual manufacturers spec' sheets weights rather than going off reviewers perceived weight?

Might depend on whether someone is going to use the skis or just carry them for a partner.

I would expect that reviewers would describe a ski as light if it gets deflected by lumps of snow, this could be caused by having less of the overall weight distributed towards the tip and tail of the ski.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Old Fartbag, Jonestown used Flavor Aid not Kool-Aid.
snow conditions
Quote:

No, it doesn't matter to me, but that's not what I'm getting at: How can one ski be described by reviewers as 'heavy' and another as 'light' when they weigh almost exactly the same? It would appear they simply take the manufacturer's description and amplify it.

snow conditions Thu 23 Dec, 21

It's worth remembering that ALL reviews are there solely to encourage you to buy. You can take some of what they say, but remember it's always biased in favour of sales. Funny how this year's ski is always better than last..... I ski on Mantras too, and don't worry about the weight...
snow report
rjs wrote:

I would expect that reviewers would describe a ski as light if it gets deflected by lumps of snow, this could be caused by having less of the overall weight distributed towards the tip and tail of the ski.

This makes a lot of sense.
latest report
ski wrote:

It's worth remembering that ALL reviews are there solely to encourage you to buy. You can take some of what they say, but remember it's always biased in favour of sales. Funny how this year's ski is always better than last.....

Indeed. I'd love to read a review where the reviewer said the incoming model was worse than the outgoing one!
snow report
I remember bumping into a team of testers, I won't mention where or who, but I had been taught by one of them years ago. After a bit of friendly banter I asked how they managed to dream up their descriptions. The reply: With difficulty but we are paid one way or another so we have to!
latest report
So are you saying that they are openly admitting that it's all b*ll*cks?
ski holidays
@greengriff, Pretty much, combined with a day out. They often do it on a very limited area on one day, with one set of conditions, quite how they comment on powder conditions, I don't know.
snow report
That's very, very interesting! Not to say more than a trifle disappointing.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
@greengriff, Pretty much, combined with a day out. They often do it on a very limited area on one day, with one set of conditions, quite how they comment on powder conditions, I don't know.

That's not really true (overall anyway, obviously it may be for those you know!), most of the UK media do their testing over at least week at the annual ski test, which used to be in Kühtai but I think then moved to Italy then Scotland (due to the 'rona). Plus individual writers may test individual models they are interested in at other times/trips/longer periods too. Ellis Brigham also used to do a separate test for their staff over a good few days at the end of the season.

Reviewing skis also isn't, or shouldn't be, about deciding whether a ski is good or bad, or coming up with rating and ranked lists, as that's all too dependent on individual wants and needs (as well as locations and conditions). A good review should look at strengths, weaknesses and probably most importantly the character of the skis, so readers can understand if it fits what they are looking for.

There absolutely is plenty of cowdoo written though still!

(source: I used to get paid to do that too)
ski holidays
Apologies @greengriff, but you may simply have chosen the wrong ski Very Happy - I tested the new M6 Mantras for 2 days last week and having expected little apart from a different paint job, was really impressed - I found consistently better grip (excluding Japow and slush, but it was early December!) and they were more relaxing to ski than my current M5 Mantras which are a couple of years old now (they replaced some earlier Mk 3 Mantras - there is perhaps a theme emerging). A number of online reviews suggest going down a size from M5 to M6 (I didn't, but feel that's sufficient justification for another test day).
ski holidays
I can't have buyer's remorse just yet - I haven't skied the Atomics and won't get to for a couple more weeks. I was definitely going for a different flavour to the Mantras (albeit whilst trying to keep a bit of their legendary versatility), so I'm hoping I won't be too disappointed! Although having weighed them, I've now lowered my expectations with regard to having a couple of feathers strapped to my feet vis-a-vis my chunky, clunky old Mantras.
ski holidays
There are definitely a few ski review sites that spend longer with the equipment and take care to specify the level of skier using the equipment as well as the conditions. Blister gear is particularly good. If reviewers only get a few days (or a few runs) on a pair of skis I wouldn't take their decisions too seriously.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy