Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sainte Foy 30th birthday short film , interesting and magical .

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/R2btRlw4J-U

Watch this short film about how a small community realised the dream of building a small modern resort to give the community a future .
A small yet magical station still owned by the community .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh I LOVED that. We had a long weekend there for our anniversary 3yrs back and loved the place.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A mate of mine bought an apartment there very early on. He and his family love it, including in the summer. I’ve spent a couple of days skiing there with them over the years..it is lovely. Like they say in the film, there are lots of Brits. It’s the sort of place where you know all the people in the lift queue first thing in the morning.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A mate of mine bought an apartment there very early on. He and his family love it, including in the summer. I’ve spent a couple of days skiing there with them over the years..it is lovely. Like they say in the film, there are lots of Brits. It’s the sort of place where you know all the people in the lift queue first thing in the morning.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What I think is interesting is the early plans were much bigger but as time has gone on its morphed into something more perfect ,yes there can be too many Brits and it doesn’t feel quite the same as it 12 years ago to me but the smaller concept is gradually being more appreciated by the growing numbers of French holidaymakers who in the past were more interested in number of lifts and KMs rather than quality .
The two back valleys originally earmarked for lifts are now protected which makes the area much more appealing to those who love back country and ski touring now far more fashionable than when the station was originally planned .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wish I had bought a property back in the day
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Rob Mackley, lovely video and thanks for posting.

Great example of what a determined community can achieve.

Enjoyed a wonderful 11 days in the tiny hamlet of Montalbert, near there, in ‘98, when St Foy was still fields Very Happy

Good place to stay and, with a vehicle, easy to access both Les Arcs and Tignes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PeakyB, stayed 6 times/weeks in total in St Foy. The only time I went over to Tignes was for bootfitting and then straight back. Tignes is great but it ain’t St Foy Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mooney058, whatever floats your planks or boards. Very Happy

Afraid my knees aren’t up to off piste now, so that many weeks in St Foy would be restrictive for me.

No doubt St Foy is a much more agreeable place to stay than the likes of Tignes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very nice. We did look at some MGM apartments in St Foy, but they weren't quite right for us and Les Arcs hit more buttons so that's where we ended up. I've had a few day trips to St Foy including one spectacularly good bluebird day with knee deep powder, which was the stuff that dreams are made of.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PeakyB, I skied there in (one of, can't actually remember which year it was) 94, 95 or 98 with Ali and it was definitely more than just "fields", although nowhere near as developed as it later became. The Auberge de la Montaigne is sadly missed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We bought there early on and loved the place then and love the place now even though we sold up when our children moved on. We had Val d'Isere, Tignes, Les Arcs, La Rosiere all on the doorstep and did have days in these places both our children even when in their late teens could't wait to get back to Ste Foy. Thanks Rob for posting this, miss having you and your family as neighbours.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Excellent video, we stayed there c.2008 in Le Monal (excellent little b&b hotel on main road with Lebanese quirky little restaurant next door), very much enjoyed the place. Would go there again if I was planning on skiing Val/ Tignes, perhaps as soon as December 21 if there's early snow. I recall we drove up sometimes to the free car park at Tignes Le Brev to enter the main Val/ Tignes area (can you still do that?) but I actually enjoyed Ste Foy skiing just as much as the EK sprawl up the hill, and the off-piste was great. Glad to hear it's not gone crazy with development, will pay it a visit again soon enough.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Yoda,
Quote:

which year it was) 94, 95 or 98 with Ali and it was definitely more than just "fields", although nowhere near as developed as it later became.

Absolutely right, ‘fields’ just my euphemism for relatively undeveloped. The kind of term an old leather-booted rustic like me uses wink

It had a decent 4 pack chairlift by ‘98 I remember. After a big dump of fresh snow we had a ‘hunt the skis’ type of day in waist high powder.
latest report
@PeakyB, ah the joys of mountainside excavation Laughing

My first week with the Eagles was based in Ste Foy; on the second one there I met Le Grand Bernard - small world wink
ski holidays
@Markymark29, you could still park free at Les Brev a couple of years ago. There was also a small free car park at Les Boisses but it filled early, even in low season April.
snow report
@PeakyB, two fast sixes one new this year , one fast four and still the same slowish 4 to the very top .
snow report
@Fogliettaz, you too sir ,
ski holidays
Excellent film, been to Ste Foy many times - we have friends who live there - and it is a lovely wee spot.

Architecture is exactly the same as Tignes.................... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

@Markymark29, I have had a fair few beers in the Monal over the years, including a memorable fancy dress party for our mate (who lives there) 50th a couple of years back. Nice chilled bar/resto.
ski holidays
Great film, I really need to get to Ste Foy one day.
snow report
Nice films, would love to read more about its history, interested to see why their permission was removed etc
ski holidays
@ed48, I’m not entirely sure but there was I think a big battle with the environmentalists and that has continued over the years with the two back valleys now being protected which I personally am pleased about its great backcountry for ski touring . The original plan was to build the resort not in its current position but in the valley behind so that it would have access to the Grand Sassiere Glacier for what was then very popular summer skiing , Ste Foy had before it had been banned the heli ski capital of France with sometimes up to three helicopters operating in March as they accessed the high Peaks on the Italian Border , the Fogilettez above Ste Foy and Grand Col behind Les Arcs 2000 with all runs finishing in the commune of Ste foy . I also understand that the three lifts were financed by EDF in return for access to the water in the commune for hydro , unbelievably the water from the mountains behind Ste Foy drains into a massive underground pipe that feed the Lake and Dam above Beaufort at least two mountains and over 25km away .
snow report
Yes, I have many happy memories of Ste Foy as a ski area, and as a base to ski the other nearby resorts. Auberge sur le Montagne much missed, as @Yoda said (that chef and the whisky collection and hot tub outside were brilliant). Of course, although you have to skin up to get the full vertical on the back (or do longer tours) you can ski round the flank and do some nice descents on the back without effort, and down to the bus. Was slightly sad last time I went to find a couple of new pistes on the front side, where the off piste had been very nice.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy