Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Middlesbrough Snowdome - DEAD IN THE WATER (20.1.21)

Poster: A snowHead
ORIGINAL POST - SEPT 2014
Would be great for us - 10 mins drive vs 70 mins to Castleford - and great for the north east (no real reliable (<edit!!) snow within 100 miles of the Wearside and Tyneside conurbations).

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/multi-million-pound-ski-centre-planned-7757918

Will believe it only when the doors open though.... rolling eyes

PLANNING APP TO BE SUBMITTED - DEC 2015
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/middlesbrough-snow-centre-plans-to-10634057

APPROVED Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy - 31.3.17 - Scheduled to open in 2019.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 20-01-21 13:54; edited 13 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict wrote:

Will believe it only when the doors open though.... rolling eyes

Same here!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Would be great for us - 10 mins drive vs 70 mins to Castleford - and great for the north east (no real snow within 100 miles of the Wearside and Tyneside conurbations).

I agree it would be great to get it. Not sure about your 100 miles though. Weardale Ski Club is just over 40 miles away. It may not the longest ski season - or even the most snow sure - but it is local.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weren't they meant to be building one in Sunderland?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Weren't they meant to be building one in Sunderland?

Yes. As part of the Stadium Village development - that is that land on the former colliery now occupied by Sunderland AFC's football stadium (where I am a season ticket holder - my punishment for great times skiing). On there we also have the Aquatic Centre. That is good and has an Olympic size pool and excellent training facilities for the region's swimmers. I am not sure if the ski centre plan has been formally dropped but it has not been mentioned for many years. The public body that was mean to develop it no longer exists. I suspect the next Ice Age will bring us snow skiing before we see that ski centre built. We do have a dry slope at Silksworth. Although I regularly cycle past it and indeed first learned to ski at the old Hemel Hempstead dry slope I have never been tempted to stop cycling and go for a few runs down it.

I am retiring next year so hope to join the Weardale ski club for 2015/16 and do some local skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JohnMo, I tore my thumb ligaments at Silksworth, three weeks before my first skiing holiday, and have to confess I haven't been back.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JohnMo I'm a Weardale member(!) but should perhaps have said 'Indoor fridge' instead of 'Real snow' wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just the four real ski areas within 100 miles Laughing

Season tickets are currently on sale at Yad Moss to last years season pass holders. The cost is 40 pounds for adults
which is less than three hours skiing at Castleford. Under 16 season passes are 10 pounds! Clearly though the number of skiing days cannot be guaranteed, although even during last years poor season in the Pennines the tow still ran on 8 days. Over in the Lake District there was more tahn 40 days of lift served skiing. snowHead

The full season ticket price at yad Moss will be 55 pounds and will be available to anyone from 1st October (there is an upper limit on season ticket numbers). Still very good value and also gives a discount on day tickets at Weardale, Raise and 15% off at Freetime, Carlisle. Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, you should come to Silksworth to one of the clubs (plug plug). I ventured back on the plastic this summer. My girls just laughed at me for being rubbish. I have retreated to carrying the kit again......
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JohnMo, ski ing on plastic certainty takes a bit of getting used to
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chrisb, not sure I could fit anything more in at the moment.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't really see this happening. My man on the inside (Teesider by origin) says the mayor is an egotistical idiot who loves nothing more than a good headline, but rarely follows up. Although he may be biased. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The proposed site at Middlehaven Dock has fantastic development potential. Had it been in any other conurbation then it would have exploded in demand for leisure facilities: It is right next to the town centre, great transport links and a rather special location. It is the pentagonal shaped dock area just above the footy stadium. The whole area up to the Transporter Bridge is a fantastic development possibility.... apart from it being in Middlesbrough Sad Yes Mallon has a big ego, but at least he tries stuff. It is difficult to explain how far the Teesside are has been left behind. It was dominated by steel foundries, heavy engineering and chemical plants, most of which has been eradicated.

The area contributed massively to the development of the country and it now feels like a forgotten distant cousin, devoid of investment and hope.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well said Frosty the Snowman! Sadly that applies to large swathes of the north east - only Newcastle seems less immmune from the gaping chasm between north and south Sad. But even that relates, in the main, to cultural facilities etc.

Still, as well as proper skiing on proper snow in the Pennines, we have the Scottish Highlands within range and four or five national parks within easy striking distance - so it's not all doom and gloom Smile .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just an update, things look to be moving forward with the Middlesbrough snowdome
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/whats-on/family-kids-news/middlesbrough-snow-centre-revealed-first-9742898
I've got to say that is a great location for the facility; a five minute walk from the train station, great road links (A66 is 0.5 miles away and the A19 3 miles away) a stones throw away from the Riverside Stadium which will have up to 25,000 fans attending every other weekend and it's on the doorstep of Middlesbrough College which has over 5000 students.
latest report
I really can't see this happening because of 2 factors: 1. Footfall - I don't believe that there is a large enough target audience despite the population in the NE. Also, will there be other facilities closely? Surely the success of Snozone is down to the other facilities within X Scape. You have to wonder why with such a huge population and other great facilities close-by that Chill Factore in Manchester has changed hands? 2. They will really struggle for instructors. Whilst I believe that they will maybe get some NE based instructors that are presently at SZ or Silksworth, it will be a problem for them. We are not blessed with an abundance of instructors in the NE unlike other areas.
snow conditions
I too really hope it happens. I think there are a good few people like me who often travel down to Castleford, and long for something closer.
Seems the council are right behind it as it is a multi leisure site. Fingers Crossed.
Peter
latest report
I don't wish to widdle on anyone's fireworks but I've lost count of the 'outline planning permissions' in place across the UK for indoor snow centres. Few of them have every come to fruition for one simple reason: lack of money.
ski holidays
Update: Planning application to be submitted
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/middlesbrough-snow-centre-plans-to-10634057
snow report
I was just about to post that too @mountainaddict, great news about the inclusion of the trampoline facility as well
ski holidays
The developers seem really keen for the slope to happen. I hope so - it would be fantastic for the North East, put Middlesbrough/Teesside on the map and boost the local economy.

The Middlehaven area around the slope is steadily being transformed (Mbro College and it's new extension, the posh Brasserie restaurant, the Gateway medical facility, a new urban park, new pub, Riverside Stadium...and more) - so I think it could well be a goer Smile.

I won't be trampolining though... wink
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
The developers seem really keen for the slope to happen. I hope so - it would be fantastic for the North East, put Middlesbrough/Teesside on the map and boost the local economy.

It certainly did wonders wonders for Castleford after years of industrial decline. The number of jobs created in the construction and ongoing running of developments like this make it a must IMO

We went to Xscape on Sunday (for a meal, crazy to ski at this time of year) and the car park was full. The place was heaving with people enjoying themselves. I hope Middlesbrough get this. Goodness knows the local population could use some good news
latest report
The more snow domes in the UK the better, this one seems like it could be a great regeneration project too, so long as they make sure there are some good transport links!

Now come on Westfield, what's happening in Stratford?
snow report
Quote:
so long as they make sure there are some good transport links
Access would be excellent - the slope would be adjacent to the A66 dual carriageway, which is linked to the A19 dual carriageway. The A19 is a major north-south road that is a good alternative to the A1. It also links directly to the A1.

It would also be only a few mins walk from Middlesbrough train station.
snow report
Quote:

It would also be only a few mins walk from Middlesbrough train station.

That I think is really important, although perhaps I'm in the minority as I tend to get the train everywhere rather than driving!

But it makes it much easier for more people, which can only be a good thing Happy
latest report
Developers were on local TV tonight to say that funding is all but in place & the planning application is being submitted Very Happy.

If it comes off, it could open in 2019.
snow report
@mountainaddict, I just cant see how a snow dome would make any money in the North East. The catchment population just is not big enough. All the other activities may make a profit but once people look at the cost for an hour I really wonder how viable it would be?
snow conditions
The latest update with more artist impressions can be found here
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/middlesbrough-snow-centre-new-artists-11637596
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
I just cant see how a snow dome would make any money in the North East. The catchment population just is not big enough. 
The potential profitability is for the developer to determine - one presumes that they will have done their sums/market research??

In terms of catchment, surely the big plus point in its favour would be that it would be unique between Castleford and Glasgow? According to the Office of National Statistics, the population of North East England (in 2011) was 2.61m. However, that covers the counties of Northumberland, Tyne & Wear, Durham and the former Cleveland - all of which would be within easy striking distance of the slope. The figure does not include North Yorkshire - another 600k population - although some of them would be nearer to the existing slopes at Castleford and potentially Manchester.

Is that not enough to make it a goer Puzzled

Thanks for the link Andybag.
snow report
chrisb wrote:
@mountainaddict, I just cant see how a snow dome would make any money in the North East. The catchment population just is not big enough. All the other activities may make a profit but once people look at the cost for an hour I really wonder how viable it would be?

In that case, I would have thought that Castleford Xscape couldn't possibly be even close to viable, since their catchment population is way smaller (particularly now there is ChillFactore just over the pennines)?
ski holidays
@alex_heney, Xscape has a massive catchment area with Leeds, Bradford, Doncaster, Huddersfield, Halifax, Wakefield...and even Barnsley, closer than the nearest conurbations to the Tees Valley area
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, People I know as far south/ east as Hull/ Sheffield/ Derby/ Nottingham/ Leicester and as far north as Tyneside use Xscape. I recall speaking to a guy I know who worked on the development a few years ago and he said at that time that their catchment area at that time (pre-Chillfactore) was circa 8 million people. I guess that might have dropped to say 6 million now but even so its still got to be more viable than Teeside I'd say which is 3 million at best?
ski holidays
But why would the catchment area for a Middlesborough snowdome be only "Teeside"?

I would expect it to include all of Durham and Northumberland and the towns and cities that would be part of those if they weren't separated out. Probably also parts of North Yorkshire would find that closer than Castleford.

I don't understand why people from Derby/Nottingham/Leicester use Castleford rather than Tamworth mind.
snow conditions
@alex_heney, Friends of friends in east mids say that they use Casvegas because its much better than Tamworth and worth the travel.
ski holidays
Being based in Warwickshire, Tamworth is by far the closest 'dome to us - but the only time I go there is for my BASI revalidation. We have however so far this summer done multiple visits to Chill Factore (with more planned), a few to Hemel and one to Castleford. Usually do one trip a year to Breahead too, but not this year.
ski holidays
@alex_heney, The only snow dome in the country that is viable is Hemel. The rest run at a loss so I am led to understand. You need 7 million catchment to make them work, so the population is just not big enough for one in Middlesborough I would have thought
latest report
RobW wrote:
Being based in Warwickshire, Tamworth is by far the closest 'dome to us - but the only time I go there is for my BASI revalidation. We have however so far this summer done multiple visits to Chill Factore (with more planned)

I'm based in Shropshire, so driving times to my nearest domes ... Tamworth= 1:15 / Manchester = 1:40. Is Chill Factore "25 minutes driving" better?

chrisb wrote:
You need 7 million catchment to make them work,

If thats the case, who in their right mind ever thought Snoasis in Ipswich could work? Shocked
I remember the initial announcements for the Snoasis go ahead while I was living in Ipswich and being DEEPLY excited. I'm sure I even sent off a couple of job probing emails and tidied up the CV a bit. I do hope the good people of Middlesborough don't get disappointed... Sad
snow report
I wish they'd build one nearer to Hampshire. I have to go to Hemel (which is very expensive!) or Milton Keynes.
latest report
@HoneyBunny, They keep talking about building one in Swindon, but I doubt it will ever happen. Bizarrely, it seems to me that the North and Midlands are far better served for indoor ski slopes than the more South.
ski holidays
Land too expensive in the south: make more money by building houses on it instead.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy