Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer 21

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Relatively inexperienced traveler alert.
Are there any resorts that offer summer skiing in Europe( not necessarily this year) but ones that offer a decent slide in July or August ?
Thanks
Andy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Landgraaf.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes/Val d'isere, les deux alp, cervinia/zermat to name a few
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mother hucker, I wouldn't bother going to a glacier in July or August though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Landgraff
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
I wouldn't bother going to a glacier in July or August though
Mrs MA and I have skied both months in Tignes - a lot. Tignes closes in early August these days though...

So, unlike rjs, I would highly recommend it - especially (as a general rule) up to the first 2 weeks of July, when snow cover is usually excellent and extends to below glacier level. There can be 600 metres of vertical available - and we've even been fortunate enough to ski a few inches of powder a few times.

Being on the glacier for 07.30 opening on a clear, summer morning is fantastic. As is putting in fast turns on perfectly groomed, empty runs. What's not to like? Very Happy

Yes, the snow will soften in the strong sun and you could be skiing soft snow (or mush) by 10.30 but, in my book (obsessive skier! ), there are absolutely no minus points - summer skiing is not to be missed and is so much better than the beach holiday alternative.

If travel is allowed by then, will the glaciers be busier this summer due to pent up demand? I hope to find out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having never been to tignes how do you get there? Airport ?
I'm praying I can get somewhere at some point.
Any recommendations for accomodation?
I like slushy spring days as much as anything else so open to suggestions.
Lamdgraaf is an indoor so centre in Holland isn't it?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We did a couple of days of summer ski at L2A as part of our honeymoon (early July) and it was fantastic, would definitely go back. Although the glaciers are not quiet at the best of times in the summer, especially if you're used to skiing outside the main holidays. Lots of ski teams training. Was hoping for a bit of summer ski this year but not sure how feasible it might be and wondering if late season skiing somewhere like Iceland might be more realistic.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is how Les 2 alpes looked this July. Most of the glacier is used for racing training, just 2-3 slopes open for general public. t-bar lifts only (the underground train was closed), so 20 mins up, 5 mins down. Prepare for very hard ice in the morning and god bless you Smile you need proper skis with sharp edges and skills to enjoy ice. Then glacier closes about 1pm, and crowd gets to the lift, you could spend 1h queueing, I went for a beer instead Smile In general its ok, I stayed two weeks in l2s, and went to glacier 3 times only, been doing MTB and walking in the Ecrins national park, its was great.

http://youtube.com/v/j0fGvmFX12g
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It might not be hard ice first thing, there are times when it doesn't freeze overnight.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rjs, ive skied Tignes in July. Its great for race training or jibbing. Something to do on a rest day from climbing or MTBing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mother hucker, It isn't great for race training if it doesn't freeze. Had a whole week in LDA in July when that happened.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rjs, that's true.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From what I know, because the glacier temperature is always -2 or something, and effect of sun is minimal in the morning, there will be minus or about zero at the surface level even if the outside temp is positive.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Having never been to tignes how do you get there? Airport ?
Loads of flights (in normal times) to Geneva (in Switzerland). It's 2.5 - 2.75 hrs drive to Tignes by hire car, with nice sightseeing possibilities en-route at Annecy and at the medieval hilltop city of Conflans, above Albertville.

Alternatively, Tignes can be easily reached by flying into Grenoble, Chambery or Lyon in France - though flights can be a bit limited.

Turin and Milan in Italy are do-able too.

For info: There are loads of summer activities, as well as the skiing, in Tignes.

I will send you a PM about accommodation.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy