Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question about primaloft insulation - which one to choose?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am currently considering buying a ski jacket. Moat people will say that hard shells are most versatile, however I tried a few (arcteryx, marmot) and they just feel like a stiff, cheap raincoat... Not my cup of tea.

So I want to buy some insulated jacket with primaloft. I normally ski in conditions +3 celcius to - 10 celcius. If it gets colder I can always wear a warm base layer, that is not an issue. I want sth that would wotk fine with light base layer in the above conditions.

Primaloft has silver/gold options, and 60/80/100g versions. Can someone compare those for me or link some comparison page? Which combination would be best for me?

Many thanks in advance for all answers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Everybody’s physiology is different, so it’s not possible to say something like ‘in those conditions you need a jacket with Primaloft Gold 100gsm on the body and Gold 80gsm on the sleeves’. Also the outer shell fabric will make a big difference to the warmth, Goretex will make the jacket considerably warmer than a shell fabric without a waterproof membrane.

Primaloft Gold offers better warmth per weight than Primaloft Silver, but the difference isn’t huge.

Do you know the specifications of the jacket that you ski in at present? That might help us to give a more helpful answer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gold is about 15% warmer than Silver (weight for weight). So 80g Gold has similar warmth to 100g Silver but will be lighter.

60g/80g/100g are all just variants of similar levels of insulation for skiing. Think of them as

60g - a bit less warm
80g - warm
100g - a bit more warm

100g Silver Primaloft is fairly common spec for a normal use ski jacket. I doubt if you you’ll want to go any heavier than that as you can layer up. +3 Celsius is hardly sunny spring conditions so I also doubt if you’ll need to go any lighter as you can always wear something else in those conditions.

In the end I wouldn’t worry too much about it. It sounds like you’re skiing in fairly typical conditions and most ski jackets will be fine. If you’re body runs a bit hot or cold then just move up or down one step in weight.

As long as you’re jacket is breathable then you should be comfortable even if you end up with a bit more insulation than is ideal.

Ps. What Oceanic says about the waterproof layer and breath ability is a good point. My ski jacket is very breathable and I don’t half notice the effect of cold winds blowing through.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 28-01-20 10:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bober02, I ski in a marmot randonnee Jacket I bought around 5 years ago, it is a goretex shell with stretch, which is much better than those stiff shells you mentioned. Not sure what the latest version of their stretch shell is, but I'd definitely recommend it, it is brilliant for layering with.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The jacket I am considering (the brand is not relevant as a few of tehm have very similar spec - spyder/north face) is pretty much this:

Goretex
stretch fabric
insulation - primaloft 80 - 100, either black/sliver or gold

As far as I see it, in order to be able to ski in lighter conditions and have an ability to layer, 80 - 100 g silver primaloft would be ideal?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Reading the title I thought this was going to be a thread about loft insulation..... Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lol
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bober02, don't buy a ski jacket. Buy a shell. Much better idea.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

As far as I see it, in order to be able to ski in lighter conditions and have an ability to layer, 80 - 100 g silver primaloft would be ideal?

Yes. This would be ideal for what you want.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a very light primaloft Gold duvet that packs down into it's chest pocket and can be carried in a small rucksack. For skiing I have long abandoned my mountaineering Goretex and use a much cheaper shell from D2Bs top end range. It's soft, comfortable and very breathable. On hot days I've skied in temps of 20C so I much prefer a well vented non insulated jacket.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, I hated the shell when I put it on recently, as per my original comment. Hence, I want to stick to regular jacket with medium insulation, nice and comfy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't rule out a decent softshell.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bober02, arcteryx atom AR , best all-round option unless you ski in the rain
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm currently making my own Goretex jacket with thinsulate lining. Finally I'll have a decent number of internal and external pockets, detachable helmet compatible hood and an insulated collar - so many jackets these days don't have a collar and I fall to see why? I hate a.cold neck and always wear an icebreaker snood as well.

Unfortunately the only thinsulate available in the UK is 150g/m stuff which is good to -30c, but hey, I'll be warm!
It'll be a winter walking and skiing jacket and I'll use my Paramo for warmer skiing days with a merino base layer
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy