Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The end of the bacon sandwich on the drive to the alps

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/18/lorry-drivers-heading-to-eu-face-ham-sandwich-ban

Those nasty EU bureaucrats have banned the bacon sandwich (and many other foodstuffs) Madeye-Smiley , no more shopping in Waitrose to stock up for the food for skiing holidays!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@munich_irish, yep, you'll have to wait till you reach an EU country then buy some speck instead..... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know the news slant on this is going to be the very obvious lead.

But how have they policed biosecurity up until now? Nothing's changed really.

Presumably we'll be inundated with the opposite of EU banana length and arc arguments again Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alastair Pink, does that mean they’ll be inspecking our cars?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like the way Grauniad needs to explain some lorry drivers 'phrases' to its readers....

"..God help the poor customs bloke who is going to turf out the driver’s packing up box [food box]..."

"The tractor [the cab of the trailer] is basically their home from home..."
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Never mind the lorry drivers, I'm in charge of the sandwiches on the drive to the EoSB and everyone in the car likes the pate ones best. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hurtle, no more pork pies for the Beaumont's and we've been told none of our dry dog food either. Shocked Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And what will Jules do without the bacon sandwiches from Linds? Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hells Bells, OMG! Shocked Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Feck all those leave k#nts who've denied us EOSB bacon sarnies.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Obviously fed up with Gammon.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I think there is (or was) an English couple in Burgundy who make English-style bacon and sausages. They may be friends of @Lizzard who doesn't really post much now but it might be something worth looking into.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells wrote:
@Hurtle, no more pork pies for the Beaumont's and we've been told none of our dry dog food either. Shocked Shocked

What type of dog food can you bring with you? Lola and Bentley cannot go hungry en route!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, saw that about the dog food - we usually take about 15kg to last us the season...
Hofer in Austria had what seemed like a premium quality one that I hadn't seen in the UK branches - the dogs liked it and it had no adverse effects.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scamper, we can buy the food we use in France (Royal Canin), it's just the inconvenience of having to stop and find it before we stop for the night. It's also usually much more expensive. Usually we take enough for the journey plus a few days and then buy more when we are settled in. Ours will get through a 12 kg bag in just over 2 weeks (35 and 45kg German Shepherds). One in particular gets upset tummy if her food changes.
snow conditions
Yes, I can easily see how UK ham, ok up to that point, will suddenly becomes a dangerous product from 11pm on 31 December. Well done to the EU for their safety first approach.
ski holidays
Can Dutch ham (in those tins) german salami and Irish butter be legally be carried across border then? Very Happy it's just taking it back into the EU after all.
How could they construct the logic to refuse these and other EU scourced food.

International sandwich anyone? Irish soda bread, Kerrigold butter, German sausage, Edam cheese, all good to go. Could be called a "lorry driver's lunch" Very Happy as an alternative to the traditional "ploughmans"

Other nation's food types are also available for transit back into EU territory.
latest report

This for the memory of the ultimate EoSB breakfast.
Smoked streaky bacon from Norfolk
with Scottish Black Pudding
on a Bagguette Rustic.

Its better together.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 18-12-20 22:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@ski3, Do you have the customs declarations for all the items in your "lorry driver's lunch" from when they were imported into the UK ?
snow report
This is all because of the grudge over the battle of Waterloo,
They have started with Lord Sandwich, but next you won't be able to wear "Wellington Boots" when you drive to France.
snow report
@T Bar, congratulations, you've won the internet Very Happy
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, I think there is (or was) an English couple in Burgundy who make English-style bacon and sausages. They may be friends of @Lizzard who doesn't really post much now but it might be something worth looking into.

Kathy and Mike are still there running their chambre d'hôte and producing English meat, sausages, bacon, etc. http://www.boucherieanglaise.com/
snow report
@ster, well, if the UK hadn’t decided to leave ...

It’s no-one’s fault but your own.
snow report
Most of the bacon I see on sale in Sainsbury's is Danish anyway. Take the label with you and claim it's reimport
snow report
@under a new name, just petty revenge game. Shows what the EU is about. If you want to be a member of a “club” that behaves like that then good luck to you.
snow report
Not at all longstanding EU regulation which will obviously apply to UK after 31st

https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/animalproducts/personal_imports_en
snow report
@ster how exactly is it a "petty revenge game". The UK voted to leave, to become a "fully independent nation", so we can't exactly gripe when the EU treats us like every other "fully independent nation". The exact same rules apply to products arriving from every other non-EU country.

Just one more unconsidered consequence of the Brexit vote.
snow conditions
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Claude B wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

Kathy and Mike are still there running their chambre d'hôte and producing English meat, sausages, bacon, etc. http://www.boucherieanglaise.com/

There we are then, problem solved for the bacon lovers. I've just got to sort my dog food problem.
latest report
ster wrote:
@under a new name, just petty revenge game.
No it's not. It's what life is like as a Third Country. Countless little things we've all taken for granted, about to be withdrawn. Each one probably nothing more than a minor irritation or a dumb headline, but taken together all making much worse the reality of travelling to and from the EU and doing business with the EU.
snow report
@Hells Bells,

We use zooplus (the UK site) but presumably the .com version will deliver to your French address

https://www.zooplus.com/esearch.htm#q=royal%2520canin&cats=2Dog%253EDry%2520Dog%2520Food&catl=1Dog%253EDry%2520Dog%2520Food&p=1&ci=Category_facet%253D1%253A1Dog%253EDry%2520Dog%2520Food
snow report
Anecdotally, it appears the French supermarkets are not stocking as much "british" stuff as they used to.
British beers are not on the shelves. Marmite stocks are running low so it's not all bad news
snow conditions
@Scamper, we tried and failed a couple of years ago with Zooplus in France, so I'm wary now, and not to mention having to miss skiing to wait in for it. Stopping off at a store on the way is probably going to be our best option as they will need feeding en route.
ski holidays
Quote:
The UK voted to leave, to become a "fully independent nation", so we can't exactly gripe when the EU treats us like every other "fully independent nation". The exact same rules apply to products arriving from every other non-EU country.Just one more unconsidered consequence of the Brexit vote
Spot on analysis.

It's not all bad news though - we've taken back control from Johnny Foreigner and got Brexit done!

Tally ho! Very Happy
snow conditions
Will @ster re-appear to concede that he was wrong ?
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, I'm in the same position regarding dog food and ours isn't available in France.

In the past we have used Vet UK who have shipped wet food to France. I did email them and they will still ship to EU next year and so hoping that might still be a option. I didn't get a specific confirmation on the food and so not sure if they didn't fully understand the implication.

Problem for us is that wet food weighs so damn much. It normally arrived 3-4 days after ordering and so no problem with the service. We usually load up the car with as much as possible and then top up when we need to, otherwise the shipping gets expensive.
ski holidays
One wonders if Gammons are on the prohibited list.
latest report
@Hells Bells, @sno trax, if it's any help, I was most surprised the first time I saw meaty off cuts on the butcher's counter, beside the chateaubriand, labelled "for our friends the animals". So at least the fresh stuff is readily available.
latest report
@under a new name, oh I know they won't starve, but one of them gets a runny tummy if she gets different food.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@Scamper, we tried and failed a couple of years ago with Zooplus in France, so I'm wary now, and not to mention having to miss skiing to wait in for it. Stopping off at a store on the way is probably going to be our best option as they will need feeding en route.

arrange a click & collect?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy