Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Twisted rocker bevels?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Got a secondhand pair of Elan Amphibio WaveFlex 12 and was having some thoughts on the edge angles. Each ski has a rockered edge on the outside of the ski, and a cambered edge on the inside of the ski. The idea is when turning the downhill ski will have full edge contact and the uphill ski will have partial contact.

I’ve been Skiing since I could walk but am in no way a tuning expert. I usually sit somewhere around .75-1 base edge and 88-89 side edge, usually in northeast mountains that lean more towards ice than powder.

My question is would it be beneficial to set the inside edge differently than the outside edge? If were going for a powerful grip on the inside cambered edge would it make sense to cut that angle a bit sharper? Not sure if a shop would even do this and not looking to try it myself but thought it would be cool to try.

Anyone have any thoughts? Much Appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help -- but Welcome !! Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe I'm missing something here but surely the inside of the ski becomes the outside of the ski when you turn the other way? And the downhill ski becomes the uphill ski?

Either way, as far as I know - and I diy service the whole families skis - you don't need to edge angle rockered or cambered ski's differently - whether on the same ski or not.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It looks to me that more aggressive geometry, if that's the perceived change, would be purely preferential and just "suck it and see".

Essentially the design philosophy has given the most grip focussed edge for the primary ski (inside of downhill) without specifically changing the edge geometry. But using any ski predominantly on ice dominated terrain may drive user preferences to enhance that further.

I guess if you can support and modulate increased bite of that edge from personal experience and techniques, then you'll be a better judge of it when trying those changes.

It's not hard for a tech to put that emphasis onto the ski, and also re establish the original of you really don't like it. Worthwhile discussion to have with them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have 2 pairs Elan Ripstick 96 with the Amphibio rocker etc, more rocker on the outside edge. 1⁰ base edge, 2⁰ side edge. Seems to work fine.
Differential rocker brilliant for telemarking in powder as outside lead ski gives more lift into the turn.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy