Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend a Piste ski please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

Well skiing this season seems unlikely and so instead I'm daydreaming and thinking about new skis for when the world gets a bit more normal. I'm even considering taking a sabbatical next year and doing a season and even perhaps doing a L1/2 ski instructor course, maybe in Canada...... like I said lots of dreaming Happy

At the moment I have 2018 Salomon QST 99s 174cm with Shift bindings, used these mainly on Snoworks trips. Prior to that I skied on 2015 Blizzard Brahmas 173cm which I still take on my social ski holidays with friends - when I know I'll be almost exclusively on piste. I also used to have Fischer Watea 84, a ski I loved but sadly got stolen and I replaced them with the Brahmas; which although less fun then the Wateas have been solid, reliable, dependable and confidence inspiring.

But now I have the QST 99s I feel they are a bit too close together and think it would be fun to have a narrower carver piste ski for days/trips I'm going to be on piste. Also one that would be suitable for CSIA 1&2 (or BASI 1&2) if I decided go on of those courses.

My thought experiment shortlist:
Dynastar Speedzone 12 166cm
Head eMagnum 163cm
Salomon S/Max 10 165cm
Blizzard Firebird Competition 76 166cm
Head eRally 163cm

I'm thinking the Blizzard Firebird Comp 76 and Head eRally would be a little more versatile for all day on piste, say at the end of the day when the pistes are all a bit mashed up. But then quite a few ski instructor ski recommendations seem to steer towards the 72mm width skis.

Me? I'm 46, skiing 20+ years, advanced skier, more cruising then charging, 170cm, 90kg.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions. Really just a bit of fun to have ski chat Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I tested loads of skis before Christmas, and ended up buying Stockli Stormrider 88s as a nice compromise between piste and chop. They grip so well and cruise though the chop. I bought 175cm - 80kg advanced skier, bit older than you Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you liked the Brahma's then in the Dynastar range you should look at the Speed Omeglass Master SL 168cm instead of the Speedzone 12.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for the Stöckli SR88. You might also consider the Stöckli AX. I have not skied it, but it gets some rave reviews, eg https://www.skiessentials.com/2021-ski-test/skis/2021-stockli-laser-ax/

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 19-01-21 2:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ulmerhutte wrote:
Another vote for the Stöckli SR88. You might also consider the Stöckli AX. I have not skied it, but it gets some rave reviews, eghttps://www.skiessentials.com/2021-ski-test/skis/2021-stockli-laser-ax/

I tested those (the AXs). Great fun, but the grip on icy steeps wasn't there for me. The 88s just seemed to have more of everything, particularly grip on steeps.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure some people have read the brief? SR 88 is a very similar ski to the Brahma and he says he wants something narrower and more piste focused.

The Speedzone 12 is a classic piste ski although I haven't skied the others in your list. Re: spyerjon's recommendation, I imagine the omeglass to be heavier and stiffer than the speedzone as its based on an SL ski? I have an FIS SL ski I use for piste days though I must admit it's hard work and can leave me stopping for a rest more often than I'd like. I wouldn't use it for a whole week's holiday for instance. A PITA to carry on your shoulder as well! It does grip like anything though and is great fun when it's throwing you into turns Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Meltus wrote:
Not sure some people have read the brief? SR 88 is a very similar ski to the Brahma and he says he wants something narrower and more piste focused.

The Speedzone 12 is a classic piste ski although I haven't skied the others in your list. Re: spyerjon's recommendation, I imagine the omeglass to be heavier and stiffer than the speedzone as its based on an SL ski? I have an FIS SL ski I use for piste days though I must admit it's hard work and can leave me stopping for a rest more often than I'd like. I wouldn't use it for a whole week's holiday for instance. A PITA to carry on your shoulder as well! It does grip like anything though and is great fun when it's throwing you into turns Very Happy

Thank you for all the replies so far, as Meltus says - yes I'm looking for a narrower piste ski, something between 70-80mm, something with a bit of pop out of a turn (something my Fischer's would do but I find my Brahmas don't), help me improve my carving and technical skiing. A ski that I would be happy to ski in all week on piste rather then a full on FIS SL ski that will leave me exhausted.

Also one that would also be appropriate for CSIA (or BASI) level 1&2 course if I decided to pursue that - I'd be doing it more to nerd out over skiing technique and improve my ability as well as spend a big chunk of the season in the mountains rather then actually teach (though I do enjoy teaching friends, usually I ask what they learned in their lessons and then try and support them practicing this).

From the shortlist I've made 2 things come to mind:

1) Width, the eRally is 78mm and Blizzard Firebird Comp is 76mm, these would seem to be perhaps a bit more versatile and forgiving, particularly towards the end of the day when the piste is bumped out etc. But when I look at recommendations for ski instructor courses, they tend to be for the 72mm skis like the Speedzone 12 and eMagnum. I was wondering how much difference this makes and what people think about that.

2) Sizing, I'm 170cm (but a bit heavy at 90kg), for the Head skis I would have thought the 163cm skis would be right but wonder if that's too short and I should not consider these when the Dynastar/Blizzard are 166cm and the Salomon is 165cm.

Thanks again for indulging me in ski chat Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would think that you'd want to be a lot closer to 70mm than 80. After 20+ years of skiing I should think that your technique would allow you to cope with a bit of chop or slush on a narrower ski? The edge to edge speed of a 70mm ski is going to be important for piste work, so I would look at the Heads or similar. The Dynastar Masters were a complete hoot when I tried them and would be stable enough to just slice through variable snow without too much fuss. I suspect that fitness and stamina would be equally important in this, as stiffer piste skis take some effort to get the best from, so you are likely to get pooped fairly quickly but it will improve your technique!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a 50 something piste only skier for the last 30 yrs, over the last few seasons i've rented a few different skis but it was the Atomic Redster S9 SL ski which i found to be most fun and so i ended up buying a 165cm set, 68mm /12.7m rad. grip like hell but also good for cruising when required.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Meltus, The Dynastar Omeglass Master SL is what used to be the Speedzone 14/16. It comes with either the Konnect rail system (so a Speedzone 14) or the R22 race plate (so a Speedzone 16). Dynastar have essentially moved the Speedzone 14/16 out from being their top piste ski to being the bottom rung of their race ski line-up and as such it gets the Omeglass name. The Master SL is still nowhere near a full on FIS ski but for someone of the OP's stats/level is a better shout than the Speedzone 12.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="spyderjon"]@Meltus, ah ok, I didn't know they'd done away with the speedzone 14/16. I'm sure either the speedzone 12 or the omeglass would be perfect for OPs needs then. If I was in the market for a piste ski, they would certainly be near the top of my list.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy