Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Humbled on the up

Poster: A snowHead
Actually, we were skiing down after a short tour and were humbled by a chap on his way up, at good pace ... with only one leg.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I remember going up in a bubble once with my son, it goes over the top of a steep black & I seen someone going down it so smoothly with legs stuck together like glue, it looked fantastic, then once we were closer we seen they were on 1 leg!
The power in that leg must have been eminence
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
Actually, we were skiing down after a short tour and were humbled by a chap on his way up, at good pace ... with only one leg.

I was once beaten in a round of Golf, by a chap with only one arm.....Humbled on the round. Toofy Grin

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 7-01-21 22:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Every time I see someone on one of those sit-skis, they are really, really good, even in tough conditions. As we say in Baseball: ya gotta tip your cap.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I saw someone in Les Arcs last season skiing very smoothly on a single ski - but he had two legs and was holding poles and the other ski over a shoulder! Presume he had broken a binding.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was on the Caron lift on the eosb a few years ago. There was a guy on a sit ski with his mates on skis. As I got to the top of the main run , he came behind me, so I let him go past.

As I got to the first turn, I saw him go round the second. Never saw him again until I got back to the cable car queue.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I once saw a one-armed man doing the Macarena in a nightclub in a Manchester suburb.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My wife and I exited a chairlift at San Pellegrino pass a few years ago in exceptionally windy conditions (the lift kept stopping for the unloading chair to stop swinging), we'd moved 20 feet when another powerful gust came through blowing over everyone who didn't hunker down. Well all except one man.... you guessed it!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, at least you don't suffer from over confidence. I get humbled routinely on the up...by ski tourers 20 years younger than me wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
I once saw a one-armed man doing the Macarena in a nightclub in a Manchester suburb.

You win! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:

So he was effectively hopping? or do you mean he had one false leg?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We were in Verbier late season a few years back which coincided with the Patrouille des Glaciers. We watched a few teams head to the finish and then set off down towards Medran ourselves, comfortably keeping pace with one team.

Then we realised they only had 5 skis between the 3 of them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shared a room with a one-footed skier once. Only knew he only had one foot when he said "If you hear someone hopping through the room during the night it's just me going to the toilet. I've only got one leg". You'd never have guessed from spending time with him either on or off skis. Well, until he got into the hot tub or it came to putting on ski boots - he'd just take off his walking leg/put on his ski booted leg and say "I'll wait for you all outside". Always tickled me to come back to the ski locker, open the door and see the mix of ski boots, normal shoes...and a leg hanging up Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I once played against a bloke with one arm at the Uni rugby team trials.

To be fair, I smashed him Embarassed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I saw a chap doing the flying KM in Les Arcs on one leg (he only had one leg that is; he wasn't just doing on one leg for s**** and giggles).
ski holidays
In Ischgl the year before last, we were have a sneaky beer in the Swarzwand Pizzeria up at Palinkopf and an English guy came in flapping asking the guy at the till to call a Skidoo as his wifes binding was broken and she couldn't possibly ski all the way down on one ski..

I was just about to reach for my multi-tool (easy now?) to offer my services as a keen have-a-go Techie...when the Chef came out wiping his hands on his apron and fixed the binding with a bread knife, handed the guy back the ski and whilst pointing towards the slope "No need for skidoo...enjoy your holiday"

...I went back to my beer.

(Took photos of it too!)
snow report
I remember one occasion when I was skiing a fast red from Mont Vallon in Meribel a couple of years ago. Sunny day, empty piste, great snow - and letting rip. I was approaching the bottom section at full tilt, with my quads screaming for mercy - when a one legged skier blasted past me!

As you say - very humbling. Very Happy
snow conditions
Jonny996 wrote:
I remember going up in a bubble once with my son, it goes over the top of a steep black & I seen someone going down it so smoothly with legs stuck together like glue, it looked fantastic, then once we were closer we seen they were on 1 leg!
The power in that leg must have been eminence

It may even have been immense! Toofy Grin
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
I once played against a bloke with one arm at the Uni rugby team trials.

To be fair, I smashed him Embarassed

There was a chap at university who played with no arm below one elbow. He would tuck the ball under his good arm and “palm” you off with the stump. He was pretty good as well.
snow report
@Snowfinders, that was probably this Aussie bloke:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Milton_(skier)

He was very, very fast....and at one time some of his competition even complained to the race organisers that he had an unfair aerodynamic advantage!

"Milton holds the open Australian downhill speed skiing record, beating the top recorded speeds by able-bodied skiers. His personal best downhill speed is 213 km/h (132 mph)."
latest report
I used to have this guy who worked for me with only one testicle. The other had been removed in childhood and replaced with a prosthetic. His party trick was to whip it out in the pub and challenge other blokes to a "Man Test". This involvied a slap on afore-mentioned testicle followed by a return slap on the challenger. A round of beer for the one who didn't double up in agony. Do I win? Very Happy
snow conditions
@RedandWhiteFlachau, what work did he did for you with his one testicle?
ski holidays
loving this thread!
snow report
Toadman wrote:
Well, at least you don't suffer from over confidence. I get humbled routinely on the up...by ski tourers 20years younger than me wink
I get humbled on the way up by tourers 20 years older than me with plate bindings.
ski holidays
Years ago whilst on a tricky black mogul field (Verbier I think) left in a shower of powder by a couple following each other turn for turn at high speed. Met them at the bottom and said hello only to find the wife was blind and follows husband who had a clicker of some sort on his rucksack. She had lost her sight 2 yrs previously and had no intention of giving up skiing (she had been a guide and instructor). AMAZING.
snow report
Season 2006/07, Tignes, an ex-British army bloke in a sit-down ski (spinal injury) rented a GPS doofer from Sumitski (before it was common/cheap & easy to get same on your phone). He spent all day up & down Trolles trying for a max speed.
Sumitski let it be known he topped out at 129kph. Plenty of seasonnaires (mainly male, naturally) tried to beat this during the rest of the season. None came close to even matching his speed.
110kph for me, before you ask.
ski holidays
ster wrote:

Juggler. He wasn't that good.
snow report
ster wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
ster wrote:

Did he make a ball(s)-up of it?
ski holidays
We had a Japenese lad with a false leg who was at a local college guest at our badminton club a few times. Lovely lad and more or less held his own at doubles but singles was too much for him. He also had a flask of tea for between games while we slugged water down.
ski holidays
I worked with a bloke who was a great batsman at cricket - despite being born with only one arm.

Because he knew no other way, he had learned to bat one-handed and (incredibly) had a natural aptitude for it. In one splendid innings, a disgruntled bowler who was being slogged all over, informed the umpire of his view that the batsman was required to have two hands on the bat at all times... Very Happy
snow conditions
Met a Spanish guy doing the Haute route at the Vignettes hut. He was run down by a pisty-beasty when he was a teenager and lost his left leg from above the knee. Doing the Haute route was a lifelong dream.
snow conditions
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
ster wrote:

Funniest thing I’ve read on here for a long time Very Happy
snow report
We once got stuck in a white out in Avoriaz.

Then along come a group skiing absolutely perfectly in the near impossible conditions.

All have hi vis bibs on the 'XXXXX Blind Ski Club' on the back.
latest report
Slightly different, taxi from Obergurgl up to Hochgurgl - taxi driver had only one arm On the hairpins going up he answered his phone, holding the wheel against his copious stomach, used the same technique to change gear!
snow report
I've always been impressed blind skiers but the guide dogs impress me more.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy