Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dalbello Lupo Air 130 - update

Poster: A snowHead
Ahhhhhh new boots day! Dalbello are not a brand I've tried before and these are around 300g lighter than any boot I've skied so it'll be a totally new experience.

Taking them to St Gervais/Combloux way tomorrow for a debut. They feel stiff at 130 so hoping the descent will be good but I'm mostly looking forward to skinning without blisters:)

many thanks to the Nicklasses at Concept for making sure I had the most expensive ones in the shop....(jk!)

I'll try to come back with a mini-review
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
UPDATE

Toured up to Combloux today to try these out. Was at the front on the way up which I'll attribute to the lightness of the boot Smile Didn't feel like my feet were heavy even though my ski+binding setup is quite heavy so thats a tick in the box.

Several hotspots leading to blisters on the way up so its back to Concept I go. I'm sure the guys will sort me out but it does make me think fondly of my boots fitted by S4F in Bicester which were like slippers from minute 1.

Question - how does everyone have their boots done up when skinning? Done up? Totally loose? Buckled but loosely?

The descent held a few surprises. Usually with 'superlight' touring boots I take the stiffness with a pinch of salt but these say 130 and man they feel like it. Super stiff! I'm used to my 5 year old 120 flex boots where the liners have packed in and the plastic has softened and these were a whole new ballgame. I feel like in the long run they'll make me a better skier but today I felt a bit all over the place and was unable to get forward enough to drive my tips. This was only my 2nd time out this season so still very much getting back into the swing. I feel ike the 'me' of February last year would've done a much better job of handling them.

All in all a mixed bag though I don't think any of that was to do with the boots themselves- rather the fit, the fact they're brand new and my need to improve as a skier to get the best out of them. Roll on the next outing (which may be a while as everything is melting)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tight.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Meltus, before you start rushing back to the shop......

You say you were at the front all the way up? So working hard and sweating?

I find that your feet when touring can be blister free when temps are freezing in the depths of winter, come Spring even after 40 or so sorties without any issues I might suddenly get blisters.

So look at what you're wearing such as your socks, trousers and layering, many inexperienced people also still wear helmets and Google's on the ascent all adding to that sauna going on in your boots.

As for buckles you want to reduce heel movement, so buckles firm and then on the touring setting above the ankle, but can also depend on the terrain you find yourself in and of course if you're breaking trail.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had the boots loose initially which I usually do when touring but perhaps a mistake with new ones. I did them up halfway but I think the damage was done so I'll try them buckled but in walk mode next time I go out.

I was in a cap, sunnies and baselayer on the way up - helmet and goggles in the bag but I may have overlayered on the bottom half.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Meltus, I need to use compeeds for first long tours of the season. I prefer having the buckles fully open but means I get some heel lift and need to protect the back until the skin toughens up
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Meltus, brilliant article here on ski-boot blisters Cool

I know I'm going to be in the mire when I eventually start touring as my feet are so soft, will be ironic as I'm staying fit but will probably end up "off games" with blisters rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
@Meltus, brilliant article here on ski-boot blisters Cool

I know I'm going to be in the mire when I eventually start touring as my feet are so soft, will be ironic as I'm staying fit but will probably end up "off games" with blisters rolling eyes

Quite brilliant Very Happy

Do you get blisters through compeeds?!?!

ps I’ve been asked to dedicate my birthday powder pics to you Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Question - how does everyone have their boots done up when skinning? Done up? Totally loose? Buckled but loosely?

Depends on how good the walk mode is. My Langes need to have the buckles fully undone or there is just too much friction in the walk mode. Powerstrap done up near to skiing tightness. Both forefoot buckles need to be tight in order to prevent movement of the foot.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My Dalbello's have 1 foot buckle, 1 shin buckle and no power strap meaning customisation is limited. Will just have to experiment.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Meltus wrote:
I felt a bit all over the place and was unable to get forward enough to drive my tips.

How's the forward lean? Too much? Too little?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey,

I've now used them 3 times and the skiing down has much improved. I think my initial experience was due to it being my first ski in 6 months as much as the boot stiffness. I skied them yesterday and they skied very nicely. Forward lean is ideal for me and even at 130 allowed me to drive my dips well in soft chop.

I'm still getting blisters in some hotspots so I think I need the liners blown out a little more in a couple of places. I've tried compeeds etc but find they just slide off the spot where I put them despite having dry feet for application and leaving them for 30 mins before putting socks on.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Meltus wrote:
Hey,

I've now used them 3 times and the skiing down has much improved. I think my initial experience was due to it being my first ski in 6 months as much as the boot stiffness. I skied them yesterday and they skied very nicely. Forward lean is ideal for me and even at 130 allowed me to drive my dips well in soft chop.

I'm still getting blisters in some hotspots so I think I need the liners blown out a little more in a couple of places. I've tried compeeds etc but find they just slide off the spot where I put them despite having dry feet for application and leaving them for 30 mins before putting socks on.

I have to tape over compeed to get them to stay put when skinning. I tend to wind around the foot not just put a patch on top
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BTW - have you skied other dalbello (or even Full Tilt) cabrio style boots? I've got some Lupos and full tilts and I find the Airs slightly strange given how key to the design the tongues are. I'm interested how the Airs feel when skiing in comparison.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Never skied any other dalbello's or Full Tilt's I'm afraid. I can't say I notice anything enormously different to my regular (salomon) downhill boots other than an increased stiffness.
ski holidays
Meltus wrote:
Never skied any other dalbello's or Full Tilt's I'm afraid. I can't say I notice anything enormously different to my regular (salomon) downhill boots other than an increased stiffness.

OK thanks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy