Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Gardena & Schulferien?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello. I'm giving thought to skiing Italy in 2022. My focus would be Val Gardena and the surrounding area. This is one of my "must ski" locations.

I'm curious though. I'd prefer to travel in February, rather than January or March. And I've seen some mention about Germans and Austrians being fond of the South Tyrol. Is Val Gardena the target of "schulferien" skiers to the same degree, as resorts in Austria?

Grazie!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Certainly a lot of Austrians/Germans about when I have visited in January, So I guess it would be the same (or more) in Feb..

Keep an out for this thread, which gives all the dates for European School holidays (presumably there will be an update for next year)

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=149291

Third week in FEB would have been good for this year .......

-------------------------

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 28-01-21 11:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, the Sella Ronda and linked areas do get busy in February when the schools are off. German speakers tend to be largest contingent in Val Gardena. Mix of Germans & Italians in Corvara. Danish families love Canazei for their two staggered weeks. Arabba is prob a good base because of the modest size of the resort, though it has all the Sella Ronda traffic passing through from other areas, you will be going counter to the main flows a lot of the time.

You will do well to time it to miss the Bavaria week and/or the Fasching/Carnevale week. Fasching falls on Mar 1st 2022, so week starting 26th Feb 2022, is the big holiday in Catholic parts of southern Germany.

Areas away from the main Sella Ronda (around Pozza & Moena in Val di Fassa, Civetta, Cinque Torri & Monte Cristallo parts of Cortina) tend to be a lot quieter midweek, just getting busier when Italian weekenders arrive in numbers.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@monkbeer, I would say that the Südtirol is probably the most favoured destination for people from the Munich area when they go skiing. The Sella Ronda etc is the main (though not only) attraction from a ski perspective. The combination of Germanic culture along with the southern alpine ambiance is a big attraction (it is a bit cheaper than many of the bigger Austrian resorts too). In general it is best to avoid Fasching (carnival) week although it might appeal for a visit to Venice. In many places in the eastern alps this is the busiest week of the season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well not 100% true...
Südtirol is a favoured destination for many people from german speaking countries (also Austria, Switzerland etc) but not for people from Munich....from Munich no1 destination is the area around Kitzbühel
however Val Gardena + Alta Badia are no1 in Süd Tirol for everybody
As mentioned if you want something more relax (and not so expensive) then it will be better to look at Val di Fassa (Moena etc but not Canazei) or even Better Val di Femme (Oberregen etc)

However if you really cannot avoid this 2 Weeks , try to avoid the slopes which are in Sella Ronda (and lifts of course)
Be aware : somewhere in Feb there is the Faschings Woche (DE) , the Krokus holidays (Holland) and something in Belgium....

Except that Val Gardena is not cheaper as Austria (ok, cheaper als Lech oder Sölden, Ischgl etc but not generally cheaper)

Hidden Gem : not so full, not so expensive, and a little mor italian flair hat Civetta....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@turms2, the people I know might go to Kitzbühel for the Hahnenkamm party (or at least might have done when they were a bit younger!) but would not go for a family skiing holiday there, too brash and "Schkimichki" (though in my experience that is rather unfair). People much prefer the Südtirol for longer holidays, they go to Austria for day or weekend trips. For many the local wine is an attraction too. I agree the smaller Austrian (and Bavarian) resorts can offer value for money I was more thinking of the Arlberg etc
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the responses. Plenty to think about.

Two years ago, I skied Feb. 4th at SkiWelt. Plenty of snow and skiers. I didn't have a problem with crowds until the end of the day, when everyone headed off the mountain.

Wouldn't Austrian resorts get bigger crowds in February, than Val Gardena?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@monkbeer, Found a School holiday 2022 chart for you

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@monkbeer, if you go in Fasching week in Austria & Südtirol there are likely to substantial numbers of local skiers along with visitors. Personally I would suggest the rest of February would not be too bad, yes it is high season but my experience is that the eastern alps outside of Fasching & New Year dont get overly crowded unlike some of the French resorts where it can seem like the entire population of Paris (& London) has decamped to the alps for the week. Given Fasching is late next year earlier in February would seem a good option and the snow is likely to be at its best.

Many resorts in Italy are only busy at weekends but that does not really apply to the Sella Ronda resorts which attract considerable numbers of non Italian visitors. It is also easy to get there from locations north of the alps, Val Gardena especially so as it is only a fairly short drive (queues at the toll booths notwithstanding) from the Brenner Pass.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just by looking at the school calendar provided by @albob, the first week of Feb. seems relatively free. It's not a bad drive from Munich or Innsbruck.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy