Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are my skis too short?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A while ago, I purchased a new pair skis, wedze xld
all-mountain 500 skis, at a length of 174cm. When I bought them, I knew little about ski sizing, and, effectively guessed when I bought them. After using them quite a few times, I worry that they are too short. I'm 6ft 3in, and a solid intermediate. I'm comfortable on blues, reds, and I can do some black slopes, providing they're not too extreme, and I'm also looking to start going off-piste, and continuing to advance my skills. The skis are probably fine, I know, I just thought it was worth asking just in case.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, do skis know how tall you are? Amazing the tech these days. No doubt someone will be along soon to ask your weight and style of skiing and then can advise.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A more important question is - what do you think is wrong with them that's making you ask? If you enjoy skiing them then there's nothing wrong with the length - and even if you are having issues 9/10 it's down to your technique rather than the skis.

Or are you just looking for an excuse to buy a second pait of skis...? Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mjit, I know the skis are almost certainly fine, and it probably is just my technique, it's just I find sizing guides very confusing, and I thought it couldn't hurt to check. (And I am as slightly looking for an excuse to get a new pair of skis wink)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
6ft 3 = 190. Skis usually are OK at somewhere between chin and top of head height - so as a starting point 174 is not too bad (depends how much of a rocker tip they have too). Not long, obviously, but at your skill level I'd imagine that they should be skiable pretty well (at 5 ft 5 I used to ski 148 and loved them for short turn stuff).
But what have you used before (owned or rented) in terms of length and design and width of ski? That should have given you some starting point.
As someone above said, what is your weight and skiing style?
Why do you think they are too short? What waist and radius are they? (and other sidecut dimensions.)
Probably aren't suitable for someone starting on off piste (I might be wrong though) but if they are fat/wide enough for that then maybe they're handling a bit differently to thinner piste skis if you're used to them?
Also just bear in mind that different skis feel and handle differently. You need to get used to each pair and learn from them (plus decide if you like short or long or medium skis, fat or thin or medium, stiff or soft (etc, etc, etc) - ideally before you buy them!)
There isn't an easy answer in other words.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Should be fine until you get better / start going faster and off-piste more. I am the same size as you and ski on 176cm piste skis but I have also have longer and shorter skis for other purposes.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with those who say you should be fine (for Piste)- unless very heavy, and/or you ski very fast.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 8-01-21 21:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They look ok, on shorter end of range perhaps, more piste oriented with 80mm waist dimension and that length than all mountain definition.

I can't see any real problem and they'll certainly show you as you use them more as to the direction you'd consider in a next ski choice.

Not going too long as you build skills allows you to "ski the ski" more, rather than it dominating you. Off piste would probably be more challenging as something in the range of 95mm wide and 185cm in length would favour those conditions to advantage over the skis you have.
I wouldn't change them immediately though, but head toward the skiing you want to do and allow yourself the time to advance your skills however you go about learning.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do they even make that model in a longer size?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does “solid” intermediate mean you’re not fat, but “big boned”?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
P.s. 203 for slalom, 207 for GS ...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skis sound find for your level and ambition. You'll notice when they aren't when you get good enough e.g. when they appear to fold on you or let go when skiing fast enough or you lack float.

More important to concentrate on educating yourself as you start to dabble off piste as to safety.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm 6'4"/193cm and 100kgs. I always getting the longest available so at the moment I have 184cm ski's (also all mountain).

Appropriate ski lengths will vary a bit with the design/purpose.

Yours are on the short side for an all mountain ski for your height/ability but I wouldn't sweat it. Just maybe buy up a size next time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jakey, at that length they will be very forgiving skis for you re grappling with turns etc. That's a good thing. Avoids nasty moments and crash and burn. But that same quality CAN build up bad habits. So it's worth getting some private tuition - which will be much better value than buying some new skis. As most people are saying, they will be fine, but will be inadequate when you really want to pressure the fronts, need the floatation in champagne, support in chop etc. But that will come when you have the technique - rock solid balance and pressuring the front of the skis etc. And that needs close coaching and tuition. You'll only need a couple of sessions, but with the right person it would pay huge dividends. I am 5-7, and sometimes use some 155 park skis as off piste tools - since they are twin-tips they are effectively 140cms long even with trad camber. They are fine. Charts say I should be on something a great deal longer, but at 140lbs they are fine. As people say on here, skis don't know how tall you are, they know how heavy you are. You give your weight but not your height. That's a significant factor, since if the skis do not support you well then it can lead to a tendency not to pressure the fronts of the skis, which is A Bad Thing. Get some coaching, explain that you want to build good habits, and all should be good.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'll look into some proper tuition whenever I get back to the slopes to avoid getting some bad habits, and I know what length to look for now whenever I buy a new pair of skis in the future. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy