Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone using trekking/back country skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’m curious to give back country skis a go. For those that haven’t seen them, they are something between a cross country ski and touring ski. Quite narrow, 50-60mm ish, have fish scales or waxless with a small skin, and a full metal edge. Boots are a more sturdy version of cross country boots, like a hiking boot but with the metal toe piece to attach and pivot on the binding. Made by companies like Åsnes https://www.en.asnes.com/products/back_country/

Due to the poor winters in Stockholm in recent history, I haven’t had much chance to practice or improve on cross country skis. I assume back country skiing is easier and more like a hike on skis. In some ski areas in Sweden and Norway they have prepared trails. I don’t think they have tracks as such, more a cleared path. Thinking about a two-day, one-night adventure taking a tent, possibly a hot tent but need a new titanium stove. Kungsleden in spring could be great, staying in the mountain huts on the way (not sure if we could do multi-day winter hiking, especially above the tree line and no wood for an evening fire!).

Is this a thing in the alps?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Themasterpiece wrote:

Is this a thing in the alps?

It is, but obviously more adapted for mountain ranges like the Jura, Chartreuse, Vosges and Massif Central. It is referred to as Ski de Randonnee Nordique in France (SRN). Here is a site about it

https://www.skirandonneenordique.com/

In the Hautes-Alpes there is a tour called the Haute-Route des Escartons which is done on SRN gear : https://www.skirandonneenordique.com/topos/la-haute-route-des-escartons/ 115km through the high mountains of the Queyras, possibly one of the best things you can do on skis. Escartons are the ancient cantons of the Briançon Republic. The five valleys of the Briançonnais, Oulx, Casteldelfino, Val Chisone, and Queyras that were given semi independence in the 13th century.

The advantage over ski touring gear is that is much lighter so a lot more pleasant to carry if necessary and with scales, or skins, ideal for rolling terrain as you don't have to take skins on and off all the time. It helps if you can telemark turn. The gear isn't suitable for really steep terrain as you'd use for backcountry skiing but it sits between cross country and ski touring.

I'm more on the cross country side of things so I'm sure some expert snowheads can add their advice.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidof, that looks awesome. Added to my bucket list. Probably best to do a few easier tours first though Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, most interesting, often wondered what Escartons were!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes I use them, as others have said their like beefed up cross country skis. You don't need tracks to use them as they will cut their own way, however breaking trail can be exhausting. You don't get much downhill control old fashioned 1920's style Telemarks or Stem Christies are about your best bet. The trick is to use some long sweeping turns linked by shallow traverses. On the flat in deep snow it is really more hiking in skis but on a good surface you can eat up the miles. Technique wish it's just the same as cross country so you should work on that.

Which bit of the Kungsladen are you thing about? I'm planning on doing the whole thing when I retire in three years time. Most people do the Northern section Abisko to Nikkaluokta with the option of climbing Kebnekaise Sweden's highest mountain. This fits nicely into a two week holiday. The whole route is 450km from Hemavan in the south to Abisko in the north. There are huts most of the way except between Jakkvikk and Kvikkjokk where there's about 80km without any huts.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
OwenM wrote:

Which bit of the Kungsladen are you thing about? I'm planning on doing the whole thing when I retire in three years time. Most people do the Northern section Abisko to Nikkaluokta with the option of climbing Kebnekaise Sweden's highest mountain. This fits nicely into a two week holiday. The whole route is 450km from Hemavan in the south to Abisko in the north. There are huts most of the way except between Jakkvikk and Kvikkjokk where there's about 80km without any huts.

Look forward to the trip report. By the time I retire Sweden will probably be a tropical winter holiday destination Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@OwenM, probably the northern section first as you described by night train from Stockholm (18 hours to Abisko though). I’ve skied in both Abisko and Hemavan and been on parts of Kungsleden in the summer (Sarek) but the mosquitos were horrific. It’s amazing up there in both winter and summer (though I’d pick spring or autumn next time).

Hopefully covid is well over by the time you do it. It was necessary to prebook a bed in mountain stations this summer. We were wild camping.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy