Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Broken rib

Poster: A snowHead
Broke a rib on Wednesday falling on ice in the car park. Not after sympathy but just to remind people that it is winter, it might be icy and not to rush about the place like it is summer. Take care !
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nevertheless, my sympathies. And good luck sleeping, and coughing, and try not to laugh.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't sneeze whatever you do!!

(and take the drugs)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A rib is nothing really (especially compared to snowheads undergoing serious medial treatment this winter), but it could easily be something nasty like a hip or arm
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plenty of shoe spikes available, wore some yesterday having witnessed several folks falling on ice, also saw a couple of cyclists come off their bikes on icy patches
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
A rib is nothing really (especially compared to snowheads undergoing serious medial treatment this winter), but it could easily be something nasty like a hip or arm
Having broken arms, shoulders, shoulder blade, and dislocated shoulder... I disagree. The rib was the worst!
Anyway, as has been said, try not to laugh, sneeze, cough, or in fact, breathe!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've broken a number of bones, including ribs on several occasions. Ribs were the worst for me, simply because you can't stop breathing, so you get the pain every time you breathe in - imagine someone flexing your broken arm every two seconds.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang wrote:
davidof wrote:
Having broken arms, shoulders, shoulder blade, and dislocated shoulder... I disagree. The rib was the worst!

painful I can cope with
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidof, bad luck, sympathies, and also thanks for the timely reminder.

When we had our chalet in Les Gets the drive was on quite a slope and despite the efforts of Cedric Snowplougher and David, him indoors, with salt etc it could get very icy and I would put my helmet on to go down to the postbox as well as appropriate boots etc. That was after I fell spectacularly one day as the dustbin lorry was coming along. They wouldn’t drive off until they had seen me get up and wave assurance I was ok. I was, my pride a bit dented though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof, sorry to hear that.

I was out on my bike yesterday because my gym session was cancelled due to being moved into tier 4. However the roads were so icy I only did 11km rather than my normal 16.5km route to avoid coming downhill down a very narrow exposes country Lane - it felt really treacherous. I am desperately hoping weather will warm up as I will need to be doing these bike rides pre-dawn when I start back at work next week... or let my fitness go completely.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidof, ouch, I snapped a couple of ribs playing rugby and it was particularly painful with any twisting movement (don't cough or sneeze though Skullie ) ... I would recommend you change your office chair from one that swivels wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Done it twice and I found getting up out of bed a very lengthy and painful process.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidof, tough indeed, I only wrote this a couple of months ago.....

Ironically walking around a resort in icy conditions, lifts open or not, can result in injuring oneself far more than skiing on the piste, as I know only too well, along too with a UIAGM Mountain Guide I know well and an ESF instructor!

I did my floating rib on the back, New Years Day a couple of years ago, my OH said it was a classic cartoon moment as my legs shot out in front of me and I was horizontal in the air, took a very long time to heal, and then I smacked it up again in the summer in a kitemare incident.

That said I can recommend these, but I've still lost traction wearing them.

https://www.stylealtitude.com/danner-arctic-600-boot-review.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You have my sympathy, I found the pain reduced by bandaging tightly + cocodamol.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did it skiing, impaled myself on a ski pole Shocked Docs in France are likely to prescribe much stronger drugs although perhaps to be taken by pessary
snow report
@davidof, ouch! Sympathy.

Oh, don't look at the humour thread. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
marcellus wrote:
Don't sneeze whatever you do!!

(and take the drugs)

Amen to that. I cracked a rib once (confirmed by xray) then sneezed a few days later and it broke. Felt like I'd been shot. Never felt pain ike it when it popped.
latest report
Nasty. Sometimes even breathing hurts. In A&E I was told whilst waiting to be seen that they also have half an eye on you as it can be similar symptoms to a heart attack. (Then they might see you a bit quicker).

But I always think the slipperiest place is a mountain restaurant’s toilet when the tiled floor is wet and you are hurrying in ski boots. Can’t think why there aren't more injurious accidents in those as I’ve got back bottom over tip before.

Best of luck with the recovery.
latest report
Claude B wrote:
I did it skiing, impaled myself on a ski pole Shocked Docs in France are likely to prescribe much stronger drugs although perhaps to be taken by pessary

@Davidof’s a girl? Shocked Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
davidof wrote:

I totally agree.
ski holidays
Red Leon wrote:
Claude B wrote:

Laughing Laughing

Edit: perhaps @Claude B was talking about her(?) personal experience of using a pessary? Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 2-01-21 10:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I hope it becomes comfortable and mends quickly. I found the faster I got back to exercise the quicker my rib healed. I broke mine on my five year old daughter’s head. This was easier that it sounds, and she was unharmed, mainly because we had a massive shunt whilst tobogganing - a huge HOLE in an official 5km toboggan run - so the toboggan stopped dead, I went onto her, her head was against the icy wall at the end of the hole, and I broke my rib powering down on her. ‘Bejesus are you alright Erin?’ ‘Yes, fine Dad, why are unable to breath?’ ‘...(through clenched teeth...) gecasue i ave groacken my riff...’ ‘What’s a riff Dad?’’....’my riff...(pointing)’. ‘Oh....’

I hope your own riff heals quickly.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 1-01-21 22:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
What you don't want to do is break them again 4 weeks later. That's really quite painful
snow report
c'mon frosty ts - fess up. What happened?
snow conditions
@valais2, rugby , young, daft, thought they were fixed, big whack in the wrong, exact same spot after 10 minutes. Literally crawled to the sideline. My goodness it was sore,.and for some time.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@valais2, rugby , young, daft, thought they were fixed, big whack in the wrong, exact same spot after 10 minutes. Literally crawled to the sideline. My goodness it was sore,.and for some time.

You thought it had healed after just 10 minutes? I know you’re ‘ard but, really... NehNeh
snow report
He'd probably had a wet sponge applied to it...

@davidof, get well soon.
snow report
pieman666 wrote:
He'd probably had a wet sponge applied to it...

@davidof, get well soon.

A wet sponge? Luxury. when I were a lad.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Red Leon wrote:
Claude B wrote:

Obviously round the corner Shocked As my local doctor told my mate, you Brits aren't used to taking drugs that way Laughing
latest report
@Claude B, you are aware of the difference between a pessary (applicable to females only) and a suppository? wink
snow report
Ow! Done a couple, plus a few intercostal tears (just as sore).

Be sure to do your deep breathing exercises. Painful but you risk pleurisy without and one of the reasons they stopped strapping you up, or so I was told.
latest report
@Red Leon, 4 weeks after. 10 minutes into the match.
We were all invincible at that age
ski holidays
Yep you want to avoid pleurisy - friend had it following viral pneumonia and he came out of hospital a changed man, having been opened up from collarbone to waist, looking twenty years older.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Claude B, you are aware of the difference between a pessary (applicable to females only) and a suppository? wink

YES, Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
Ouch, broke one in July, mtb, creaping accross a muddy bridge instead of letting it roll, just sort of dumped me on my side - was a bit useless for 2 months Sad.
snow conditions
Sorry to hear that, @davidof, I was always petrified of falling on icy pavements and car parks. I've not broken a rib but physio reckoned after my table tennis fall, a year ago, that I'd done something to the floating rib. No fracture, but it was very sore, much worse than when I broke my pelvis, and took FAR longer to heal. And there is bound to be soft tissue damage around it. Take it easy.
latest report
Idris wrote:
Ouch, broke one in July, mtb, creaping accross a muddy bridge instead of letting it roll, just sort of dumped me on my side - was a bit useless for 2 months Sad.

Bridges and MTBs eh. There is a bridge near me, about 50cm wide over a deep gorge. Now I can ride my MTB along a white line for hundreds of meters without deviating but nothing will get me over that bridge but it should be just as easy to ride over... but there is a 5 meter+ drop either side if you get it wrong.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Sorry to hear that, @davidof, I was always petrified of falling on icy pavements and car parks. I've not broken a rib but physio reckoned after my table tennis fall, a year ago, that I'd done something to the floating rib. No fracture, but it was very sore, much worse than when I broke my pelvis, and took FAR longer to heal. And there is bound to be soft tissue damage around it. Take it easy.

Yes, it was hips and things I was thinking about. It would be really bad to be in hospital with a hip fracture at the moment.
snow conditions
marodo2712 wrote:
I've broken a number of bones, including ribs on several occasions. Ribs were the worst for me, simply because you can't stop breathing, so you get the pain every time you breathe in - imagine someone flexing your broken arm every two seconds.

This is so true. The worst is if you sneeze, It's agony
snow report
@davidof, Back to your first post; I should've listened!! Went out to the garden this morning to clear up after the dog and wham! Four paved steps completely covered in clear ice with me at the bottom. My wife saw me going down and rushed over to help only to bounce down the offending steps and finish up on top of me. We're both in our early sixties but thankfully we're both mildly obsessive about fitness which I think saved us both from serious injury. As it is she has a bruised hip and me a bruised back. It could certainly have been a lot worse.

As you said: It's icy, don't rush about like it's summer!

Hope your ribs aren't too bad.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy