Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Welt, Scheffau, young family tips?

Poster: A snowHead
First family trip early Feb to Scheffau, Ski welt. Wife and I, 6, 5 and 1 year old.

Not under any illusion that we are in for a stress free relaxing holiday but any tips to make life easier welcome.

We will have to get ski bus to gondola and back each day which of course isn't perfect but I have read there are ski lockers at top of gondola which should make life much easier. Anybody used these lockers? Can you prebook them or are there more than enough to go around?

Have read good things about the ski school, anyone used it?

We will probably take turns in having little one, however may look to use childcare once or twice to allow wife and I to ski together. I have read about a creche at top of gondola which sounds good as you aren't too far away when having a ski whilst kids in ski school. Anyone used this creche/nursery and if so how did you find it?

Looking to save pennys wherever possible ie. Aldi, sports direct etc for kids gear but what about helmets for example, can they be hired for kids along with skis or is it false economy if you can buy one for say £20?

Many thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cant help with the kids stuff but I do know Scheffau pretty well. I cant remember ever seeing any ski lockers but (assuming you hire your skis from there) you can leave your skis at the hire shop built into the gondola station see https://www.hansissportshop.at/?lang=en. I have always found them very friendly and if you want to email or call there will be no issue speaking English. The top gondola station is quite small so cant see where any lockers might go. The ski school place and creche is directly opposite the top of the main gondola maybe there are lockers there.

Lots of info on the tourist board website https://www.skiwelt.at/en/skiwelt-wilder-kaiser-brixental-ski-resort.html.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@munich_irish, many thanks.

Can you reccomend anyone for a private lesson for my wife? She only has one week under her belt and was quite a cautious learner. Just need someone to instill a bit of confidence and get her on her way.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@munich_irish, many thanks.

Can you reccomend anyone for a private lesson for my wife? She only has one week under her belt and was quite a cautious learner. Just need someone to instill a bit of confidence and get her on her way.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Brooky, I am afraid it is a long time since I was in ski school so I cant help with that. The ski school will offer instruction in English. The last part of the "blue" run back to Scheffau can be quite tricky in the afternoons, it is usually busy and often either soft chopped up snow or icy with a very short steeper section right at the end. If you have a nervous skier they might be better off in the gondola, at least for the first day or so. If the ski route from the bottom of the Schmiedalm lift is open that can be easier, it is basically a track through the trees but best skied by a reasonably confident skier to check what it is like before taking others that way (there is no snow making on the route so it can have icy or bare patches).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@munich_irish, thanks again for the insight. As we will have the newbie kids im sure the gondola will be our homeward route of choice for most/all of the week.

Just looking forward to it now, and relishing what seems to be a fairly extensive network of pistes to explore whilst still being in close proximity to the ski school for getting back to meet them at the end of their lessons.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski lockers were put in a couple of years ago; they're one level up at the brandstadl lift station (1st level car park) and there are plenty of them so probably just rent at the same time you get your lift pass.

If you rent at Hansis you can just keep your gear there. Good selection of well maintained skis there but pricey compared to other options and I've found some of staff to be less than friendly.

Not used the creche but we used the ski school for a few years there and highly recommend them.

The ski school also have an office in the village which is open early morning and late afternoon so you can sort all your lesson / creche admin there if you want.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@wickyb, thanks for your help
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Check the bus times from the village to the gondola. It may have changed but it wasn’t particularly frequent in the past with a long stop over lunch time. We used to drive instead.

Hansis rental is good but it’s a big and busy place so pretty easy to feel like you’re being ignored or swept along.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could also rent at Sportshop Rainer in the village; they're right in the centre and are a lot cheaper than Hansis (most of the skiers joining the lift at Scheffau won't be coming in from the village)

Staff are extremely helpful and decent selection of gear, although they do tend to hold on to some kit a little bit past its sell by date, but there are plenty of options there and you will save ££. Not much fun getting the ski bus with all the kids' gear so best to store at the lift lockers. I think they are on Skiset.

Car definitely a better option. The ski bus can be full in the morning and you may have to wait for one with space.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wickyb wrote:
decent selection of gear, although they do tend to hold on to some kit a little bit past its sell by date, ~~

~~ I think they are on Skiset.
So book through Skiset to be sure they give you the older kit Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nothing more comfy than an old pair of slippers! Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@wickyb, Laughing you should sell that to Skiset as their new marketing line Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with wickyb, village rental shop and drive. The owner of that shop always used to be real nice.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys for all the advice.

To keep hassle to a minimum we've booked package deal including coach transfers and ski hire so we'll have to risk the ski bus in the mornings ...... although if we can store gear at lockers I'm not too worried about squeezing on the bus.

As ski hires included im not sure where it's coming from (possibly place at the hotel), so again what will be will be. If we didnt have the sproglets I wouldn't worry about any of this but just want a smooth(ish) ride.

As I'm realistically only gonna get a couple of hours here and there to have a whizz round when im not with the kids or beginner wife, I won't cover the whole area im sure, are there any 'must do' runs or routes that it would be a crime to miss out on?
ski holidays
@Brooky, I think the best run in the area is the one from Choralpe back down to Brixen. It is fairly long, north facing through the trees so the snow tends to stay in good nick. It is generally a red but there is a steeper "black" section in the middle (there is a path section round this bit if you are nervous or if there is any ice around). Conversely the red run on the other side of the valley down to Brixen is invariably in poor condition, even when there are perfect conditions everywhere else, not a run for your other half. The Aualm run usually has decent snow and there are some off piste bits to either side. There is a short steepish bowl just under the top of the main gondola up from Scheffau, possible to continue down the "black" (its not very steep) to the mid station and back up to do a few variations. There is also a ski route / off piste under the Jochbahn, as above unless you have good reason to (like getting over to Westendorf) best take the chair lift back up rather than skiing down to Brixen.
snow conditions
Have stayed in both Ellmau & Soll (lots of times!!) & therefore skied lots in Scheffau! I’m pretty sure that the Scheffau ski school is as good as it’s neighbours but, for a private lesson, I would suggest contacting Mountain Mind in Soll & asking if they would come out to you in Scheffau! Loads of lovely runs throughout the Ski Welt but ones I discovered for the 1st time last season was going over to Going, via Ellmau. I’m sure that you & your young family will have a great time as it’s such a friendly area
snow conditions
@munich_irish, @Scarletgirl, many thanks.

I think it may be the first of trips to Austria after skiing mainly France in the past.
snow report
Many trips! Laughing
snow conditions
planning on flying to Munich or Salzburg (price and availability will determine) and taking the train to Ski Welt. Current plan is to go to Westendorf. But I do have a question on Westendorf - I will have a 2nd week snowboarder (aged 15 so fearless) and a cautious 3rd week skiier (aged 13). COuld the Westendorf slopes be too challenging - and if so would I be better off going to Soll?

Last year we flew to Munich and went to Niederau by train, that worked well so we will travel by train again. The drag lifts in Niederau for a Week 2 boarder mean I aim to travel to a different resort this year and Ski Welt ticks the boxes as I want to ensure that my two kids have access to English language ski/board lessons.

Alternative suggestions always welcome.
snow report
Westendorf is great for beginners. There’s a nice chairlift for confidence building at the bottom (beginners luxury) and the other beginner slope at the top is drag served but 2 week skiers / riders probably won’t spend barely any time on it.
snow report
@ado, The train stations are not ideally placed for the actual villages, you are likely to need to arrange a pick up from the station. Brixen might be a better bet than Westendorf. It is more centrally placed for Skiwelt. The nursery slopes are at the mid station so usually have decent snow. The downside of Brixen is that the red run down from Hoch Brixen invariably has poor snow in the lower part and can be a real trial for less than confident skiers though easy enough to get the gondola down. I have never been a great fan of Söll from a skiing perspective however it does have a really great toboggan run (lights for night time) which will appeal greatly to teenagers, it can provide hours of amusement. I would say that SkiWelt is a good step up from Niederau the skiing is mostly straightforward with a few more challenging bits if you want them.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, @andybomb1, Thanks both. I will take a look at Brixen also. For both location I will try to have the number of a local taxi company to phone for pickup if necessary.
snow conditions
the SkiWelt have a special deal on a shuttle from Kufstein station to Soll, Scheffau, Ellmau and Going - see https://www.skiwelt.at/en/kufstein-station-shuttle-service.html

Westendorf is fine for beginners, but not so good if you want to explore the rest of the SkiWelt while the family are busy - you'd need to get across to Brixen before going anywhere, and that's about a 45 minute traverse, plus of course coming back you need to allow about an hour especially if you have to download from Hochbrixen in the gondola if the valley run is too sunny to be worth doing - in good conditions (once in 10 years, in December) it is a great run, but otherwise it's somewhere between challenging and horrible.

The SkiWelt website lists childcare in Soll, Ellmau and Scheffau - try this link, or search for childcare under the A-Z listing. https://www.wilderkaiser.info/en/travel-planning/list-companies.html?topics=368689f5-6b97-4999-b797-a92cf633cfd0&lang=en&page=1&searchtype=filter&sort=2

KiKo in Soll is right beside the nursery slope and beside the gondola station, and there are also two large apres bars next door, so while I have no experience of them that would be one for my shortlist if I had to think about that again. The village is nice, though in common with all of the other SkiWelt areas you will likely need a bus to the lift. There's also a ski depot at Hochsoll, and others at the Hartkaiser above Ellmau and in a couple of other places.
snow report
It’s probably worth mentioning the Fleiding lift upgrade taking it from a clunky and slow old 3 seater to a fast 8 seater will really make the back area of Westendorf a lot more appealing this season.
snow report
ousekjarr wrote:
.... if the valley run is too sunny to be worth doing - in good conditions (once in 10 years, in December) it is a great run, but otherwise it's somewhere between challenging and horrible.

It is odd, no matter what conditions are like elsewhere in Skiwelt even with fresh, cold, packed powder that run from the bottom of the Jochbahn to Brixen is always poor. There is a long blue from the top of the Jochbahn that is much better (Tanzer) but it needs good conditions to be open and ends up at the other end of the village where there is only a bus link back to the rest of the skiing.
latest report
Hi all again.
Just wondering if those in the know can set me right.
When booking our trip I was initially told the kids lift passes would be free and we'd only need to pay for the wife's and mine. However it turned out my eldest missed out on the free lift pass by a few months, and so we have payed for a ski hire/ lift pass bundle for her.

Can anyone confirm if a lift pass is required to get up the gondola from Scheffau upto the ski school at the top (and on nursery slope lifts)?

If you don't need one for this purpose I wonder if I should have waited as the kids are likely to be in school for 4 hours per day for most of the week and may not venture onto other lifts till the latter part of the week if at all.
latest report
Anyone one have experience with the new Westendorf Fleiding lift? Does it make Westendorf that bit better? The village is checking the boxes for me at the moment. Would Jan snow here would be typically good?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ado, I dont believe Westendorf has opened yet, a few lifts were open in Scheffau last weekend. I believe Skiwelt is due to open this weekend for the season though coverage is fairly thin. The new lift will not make much difference, it will be quicker and more comfortable and I believe that there has been a small amount of piste remodelling at the top. Not really anything to have a huge impact. The outlook for snow is fairly good, the forecast suggests reasonable falls next week, so there should be a good base whatever happens afterwards. Westendorf is a perfectly OK place to go if that's the place you fancy.
ski holidays
It’s a small improvement. The old 3 seater had 5 minute queues quite often and it was a fairly slow and uncomfortable ride. It opens up a nice area that I think a lot of people miss out on as they tend to just do the front side of the hill and head back to the main area.

It makes me wonder if there are plans to improve the link to Kitzbuhel (currently a short and frequent shuttle bus) and claim the biggest single ski area.
snow report
ado wrote:
Anyone one have experience with the new Westendorf Fleiding lift? Does it make Westendorf that bit better? The village is checking the boxes for me at the moment. Would Jan snow here would be typically good?

That lift will make a big difference. The rickety old 3 seater was slow and always cold (in December when I always go). I honestly do not think I have ever gone up it in good visibility! Saying that, I only use it nearing the end of the day when heading back towards Kitzbuhel so it could also be a blend of end-of-day weather and tiredness combined. Still, to have heated seats and a weather screen will make it so much better.
ski holidays
thanks all - it looks like my ski window is back to the first week of march (from the 2nd week of jan) - so I will see how the reports go. Looks like a Ski Welt visit with the debate being between Soll (easy access to a good portion of the Ski Welt while kids in Ski School), Brixen (again access to Ski Welt and beyond) and Westendorf (a nice contained hill, with access to Ski Welt, albeit a tad more awkward, and Kitz. Cost and snow is also a factor. Westendorf may be a better bet in first week of March?
snow report
@ado, we had a very good trip to Westerndorf third week in March the year before last. It tipped snow, and the pistes were in great nick. We also booked fairly late and there was a fair bit of availability at good value. Access to Brixen for the Skiwelt wasn't too awkward with the bubble down.

The only section we noticed poor snow on piste was the last run down to Brixen to catch the bubble back up to Westerdorf - faces south and can get very icy/brown. But otherwise if it's a decent winter you should be fine for snow and cost in Westerdorf!
ski holidays
Hi, rather than start a new post can I reopen this one with a quick question? Tempted by Westendorf for feb 2022 as it looks lovely. It’s me and my son skiing and my husband walking around and meeting us occasionally for lunch. In theory I don’t have to dash back for ski school pick up as my husband can do it, but does westendorf fit the bill for a family resort? I don’t really want to be getting busses. Last time we went to at Johann in Tirol and loved it but I found the ski area a bit small after a few days. Saalbach is looking like the other alternative.
Thanks!
snow report
Westendorf is a big ski area in itself and connected into huge ones. You won’t be short of skiing but it might be a bit on the small side for things to do on your own in the day. I love Westendorf but I’d say Saalbach has a bit more going on for the non-skier.
ski holidays
Thanks, my husband is fine walking up the mountains or catching up on Netflix in the hotel room so he’s bottom of the pile when it comes to choosing where we go. If he’s bored enough he might even try skiing is my theory! (Although a long standing knee injury is the main reason he’s reluctant to)
ski holidays
There’s various restaurants at piste side below the mid station that are walkable by very quiet roads then that will probably work out for you.

The beginners area is at the bottom and stays busy enough to give you something else to watch.

Another alternative would be drive / take the bus to Kitzbuhel. Innsbruck is also doable by train.
snow report
Westerndorf is a great ski area for kids. There is a bit of winter walking, Mrs M quite likes it there but it isn't the best. Plenty of other things to do in the area and lots of transport options to other places.
latest report
I’ve chickened out of trying somewhere new and just booked for st Johann again. Next time westendorf and saalbach will be on the list!
Now just need feb 2022 to come round quickly
ski holidays
You could always get a taxi (Under 15 minutes) over to Ellmau if you want a day in SkiWelt.

Have fun anyway!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy