Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flexibility on France 90-day visa after Brexit is possible

Poster: A snowHead
Flexibility on France 90-day visa after Brexit is 'possible'

Light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak Laughing

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Brexit/Flexibility-on-France-90-day-visa-after-Brexit-is-possible-for-UK-visitors-to-France-says-Europe-Minister-Clement-Beaune

Flexibility on France 90-day visa after Brexit is 'possible'

Europe Minister has suggested France could take measures to extend the visa-free time limit to allow UK visitors, including second-home owners, to stay longer.

France may be willing to look again at the 90-day rule for Britons in the future, the country’s Europe Minister has suggested.

Clément Beaune said it is possible France could take national measures to extend the visa-free time limit to allow UK visitors, including second-home owners, to extend stays beyond 90 days in any 180-day period, as per Schengen area rules.

Some Britons are unhappy that EU citizens visiting the UK will be able to stay for up to six months.

The difference is down to each side’s standard rules for visitors exempt from short-stay visas: the Schengen Borders Code on the one hand, and British immigration law on the other.

The Connexion asked Olivier Cadic senator for the French abroad, who lives in the UK, whether flexibility could be agreed for Britons coming to France, in view of the six-months rule in the UK.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tony Connelly of RTE mentioned this last night in his overview of the current state of Brexit discussions:

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1341482445808537604

It seems to me this might be an option providing a trade deal is agreed, which includes a commitment from the UK not to discriminate when issuing short-stay visas to citizens from different EU member states. Let's hope all the pieces fall in to place. Currently Tony Connelly suggests the non-discrimination commitment is a sticking point in the negotiations.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, I read something similar on a campervan thread recently. But I must admit it sounded more like desperate hope than fact at the current time. Full time motor-homers are obviously affected by this too. It was suggested that E.U. countries that rely on heavily on tourism will look to diverge from the 90/180 rule. For example offering 180 from 360 where 2x90 day stays would be allowed back to back to allow people to enjoy wintering in their 2nd homes. (either for winter sunshine or snow)

One problem I can foresee with this would be if you had to transit through another Schengen country that didn't allow it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@GeorgeVII, you would still have your 90 days in 180 in Schengen countries
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@holidayloverxx, Yes, but what if you had exceeded your "90" already if some countries decide to allow longer continuous stays?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you have an extended visa for a country then those days do not count on your Schengen clock. The accounting issue will come if individual countries say you are welcome for longer but don't issue bits of paper. As there are no checks within Schengen I see an issue.

Bottom line is I'm sure France would like me there drinking for 140 days a year not 89!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What am I missing here? The 90 in 180 days is sans visa - with one how long can you stay and what does a visa cost for EU?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Snowsartre, its not about that. There is no Europe visa. Individual countries can make their own rules and issue visas which are only valid for that country
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Snowsartre, I am resident in Austria, but the 90/180 day thing still applies to me in all other parts of the EU.

Obtaining a visa is country-specific and for specific purposes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
you can't get a visa for the EU

you can get a visa for an individual country. That country will set the price, and decide on the application. For Schengen countries, they coordinated the validity duration of extended tourist visas etc. (to 1 year?)

If it's a Schengen country, then that visa will permit you to be in that country or cross a Schengen external border for its entire validity period, but will still be the standard 90 in 180 for excursions outside of that visa issuing country in to other Schengen countries.

exactly the same for residence permits with permission to carry out work etc (in that 1 country)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all. Guess I muddied waters by saying EU when I really meant the country in which most will want to spend more than 90/180 days - which in most cases will be second home owners hence can't see a visa for longer is cause for despair. Yes you will pay something, but you probably can afford that if you have two properties and yes it will be a ball-ache to organise but, for me, very much in the first world problem category.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Snowsartre, except that many countries only issue visas for work or study purposes and there are specific qualifying criteria.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@queenie pretty please, ah yes but that was pre-Brexit; Europe will, henceforth, be desperate to receive British patronage - I think I read that on the side of a bus......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowsartre, there is certainly potential for Spain to offer some sort of lengthened visa for rich retirees with Spanish property. But for most of EU27 British people simply become third country nationals and subject to the same rules as any other third country nationals.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@queenie pretty please, true and it's sad. Much as I recognise that secret ballots are an essential of proper democracy, there is part of me that wishes those that didn't want this mess could be recognised and benefit from our sense and keep travel rights. (Actually quite a lot more, in particular a belief we share a common culture and values with our neighbours).
snow report
Quote:

Actually quite a lot more, in particular a belief we share a common culture and values with our neighbours

2 questions:
Have you met my neighbours and are you into S&M? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please,
Quote:

there is certainly potential for Spain

You can add Portugal to a possible list of countries that would welcome the income. It has a declining and ageing population, with little industry to speak of.
snow report
@AL9000, most likely not your particular neighbours!

But the UK shares with the rest of Europe a lot of culture and values. A historical background of Roman and then Church dominance. The renaissance and the enlightenment. A transition from feudal to democratic governments. More recent history of two 20th century world wars. An international literature heritage encompassing Shakespeare, Dante, Goethe, Cervantes etc. And music from Monteverdi to Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Berlioz, Liszt, Verdi, Strauss, Shostakovitch, Britten, etc. Art from Leonardo, Rembrandt, Velasquez, French impressionists, Picasso, etc. There are a handful on this forum who deny those bonds, but we are a huge lot closer to the EU than the USA, Russia or China (the only other major blocs available).
latest report
@j b, Yebbut their tea is cr4p!
snow conditions
AL9000 wrote:
@j b, Yebbut their tea is cr4p!

... and they don't play cricket.
snow report
Another very good article about the various Long Term Visas that could be available

What are the different types of long-stay visa for France?
There are several kinds of long-stay visa. When you apply, you describe your plans and duration and officials assess what is appropriate, the Interior Ministry told The Connexion.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Brexit/Brexit-What-visa-do-I-need-to-stay-in-France-long-term-from-2021-if-I-m-a-second-homeowner
ski holidays
@Weathercam, Thanks for that. Looks like you will be sorted.
snow report
@AL9000, true but their coffee is reliable.

@Weathercam, thanks for that link, while the process seems a bit arduous (unless you live near one of the consulates) it does open up possibilities.
latest report
I am not 100% certain that the UK will continue to allow visa free access to all Member States.

Prior to the accession states (Poland, Bulgaria, Romania etc) joining the EU many of them required a visa to even visit the UK. If the risk that these countries pose to the border rises (illegal working, criminality, overstaying etc) then it is possible that the UK may put a visa regime on that country.

If new states join the EU, such as North Macedonia or Serbia, who are already visa countries then the UK may not wish to waive the visa requirement just because they have joined the EU.
latest report
@Weathercam, Thanks, bit of a faff.

Perhaps we can organise a sH meet as we all dutifully troop to the visa office.@j b, looks like a day out in Manchester for us.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 24-12-20 15:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@chocksaway, yes, I had been thinking over in my mind the way to do that. It sounds as if they won't immediately return passports either, which means two visits.
latest report
@j b, I believe they will send them back by courier. Hopefully, after you have done it once it won't require a visit. Oh hang on this is France and bureaucracy......
snow report
@BoardieK, Not true. I have played cricket in France on a club tour and our club has now toured france three times, albeit most of the opposition has been expats and antipodeans in the wine industry. I have also played against a dutch touring team from Amsterdam. Indeed, there have been a number of dutch players who have played for english counties over the years.

Oh and the French seem to have some decidedly good rugby union talent at the moment
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurdy wrote:
I am not 100% certain that the UK will continue to allow visa free access to all Member States.

Prior to the accession states (Poland, Bulgaria, Romania etc) joining the EU many of them required a visa to even visit the UK. If the risk that these countries pose to the border rises (illegal working, criminality, overstaying etc) then it is possible that the UK may put a visa regime on that country.

If new states join the EU, such as North Macedonia or Serbia, who are already visa countries then the UK may not wish to waive the visa requirement just because they have joined the EU.
The deal agreed yesterday seems to suggest visa-free visits for citizens of all current EU member states, but does not guarantee that for any new countries which may join the EU in the future.
ski holidays
And an Ehic equivalent will be available.......
snow report
j b wrote:
@AL9000, true but their coffee is reliable...

Not in France it's not. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
True
ski holidays
The big cheap mugs of coffee in the French motorway aires are as dire as can be encountered anywhere. But the espresso is generally OK.
snow report
I do hope that reasonable arrangements are made for British staff wanting to work in the alpine nations.
Perhaps holiday makers could fly to france rather than Switzerland if they are going to France. It would almost make the driving job I’ve lost possible!
snow conditions
Quote:

I do hope that reasonable arrangements are made for British staff wanting to work in the alpine nations

Probably broadly reciprocal with arrangements for Europeans wanting to work in the UK - but severely limited compared to arrangements till now.
ski holidays
Quote:

I do hope that reasonable arrangements are made for British staff wanting to work in the alpine nations.

There will always be work visas. The availability, cost, and hassle may or may not make it worthwhile for you. Maybe young Brits will start looking to other places like new Zealand that offer working holiday visas. Having worked in non-eu countries I can't say getting a visa was a huge hassle. Of course things are more difficult than before, but doesn't mean Brits working in EU is "over".
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy