Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Covid restrictions on travelling to europe after jan1st

Poster: A snowHead
So if you were thinking of driving down to the alps after the new year when lifts open, please be aware the FT is reporting, you wont be able to. We will have the same status as the likes of the USA and they can’t travel to europe. We will only be able to travel to the EU once we make it on the approved 3rd country list. Bad tidings I’m afraid...............

https://mobile.twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1336777195755360257?s=19&fbclid=IwAR1KvE81Bkdz22mtHUCGPFzebMefu75saUIr17avEOSNdHiobYeYCg5ZtKg
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, as long predicted Brexit and Covid mean that UK citizens travelling from UK will probably be unable to ski this winter.

Another example of Project Fear becoming Project Reality.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/09/uk-holidaymakers-could-be-barred-from-visiting-eu-under-covid-safety-rules

UK holidaymakers barred from EU after 1 January under Covid rules
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well that’s that then for this season.

F*CK EU!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AL9000 wrote:
Well that’s that then for this season.

F*CK EU!

Err, the UK has chosen to remove itself both from the EU and the EEA, so quite logically both organisations are chosing to treat the UK as a non-member country as from 1st January and will be applying the same Covid-19 entry requirements (based on that country's infection rates) as they apply to all other non member countries.

If there's anything to be blamed it's Brexit, so one could perhaps more accurately say...

F*CK BREXIT! Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is down to Brexit, not the EU.

The UK is a third country in January, hence it will be treated as such. This is what Brexiters voted for, and of course they all understood exactly what it would mean.

For the foreseeable future, only travellers from third countries with very low Covid rates can make leisure trips to the Schengen area. It’s not a rule just for the UK. It’s a rule for all third countries.

Some of us were pointing this out when Covid hit back in the spring.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Android2000, Precisely. Some people may have thought once we became non members of the EU the UK would still have the same rights of entry as members, but it turns out surprise surprise that we can't actually "have our cake and eat it"....

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 10-12-20 8:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So that's us fecked for the rest of the winter. Devastated. I have a home I can't even visit Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What would happen if the Swiss plough their own furrow and allow UK to fly to GVA? Assuming the border between CH and F stays open?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brexit caused Covid. The Guardian says so.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mitcva wrote:

Can you show me where it says that, thanks. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mitcva wrote:

By same reasoning @mitcva also caused covid. The Guardian says so.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Alastair Pink, Just being fair, balanced n unbiased. Little Angel

I’m mildly disappointed that a person of your stature, with impeccable manners and exemplary conduct, would stoop so low as to use such crude language.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gosh, being a member of the club brings you benefits, and when you leave the club you lose those benefits. Who would have thought that's how it operates?!

#BrexitDividend
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink wrote:
mitcva wrote:

Can you show me where it says that, thanks. Madeye-Smiley

S/he shall as soon as it learns to read.
snow report
AL9000 wrote:
@Alastair Pink, Just being fair, balanced n unbiased. Little Angel

I’m mildly disappointed that a person of your stature, with impeccable manners and exemplary conduct, would stoop so low as to use such crude language.

Just following your fine example. Wink Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Reposting @whollymoley’s research on the Swiss thread. Seems encouraging...

« I decided to follow Diaphon's sensible advice and speak to the Swiss Embassy. The lady I spoke to went away to check and came back a couple of hours later to say......that there is no answer to this question yet. She has spoken to the Swiss immigration people to be told discussions were ongoing although a decision was expected very soon.

She said it was correct that, unless specific action is taken by the Swiss, as from 1 January the UK will fall out of the list of countries who are exempt from the current Covid restrictions preventing travel to Switzerland for tourist reasons. As I have posted earlier, tourist travel to Switzerland is currently restricted to Schengen countries, EFTA countries, the UK and a list of other specific countries who have a low incidence of Covid. But the only reason the UK is in that group of permitted countries is due to the fact it is in a transitional period and benefits from the free movement agreement between the EU and Switzerland. After 1 January that will end, hence the need for the Swiss to add the UK to its list of non-Schengen, non-EFTA countries if we are to be allowed to go to Switzerland to ski after 1 January whilst the current Swiss Covid restrictions are in force.

She was hopeful that given the level of tourist traffic from the UK to Switzerland something will be done to allow the UK continued travel rights but she could not say for certain at this stage. She said she will call me back when she knows more and I will then post here what I am told the position is. »
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, Shameful Sad

Kindly leave the sordid language and scumbaggery to the likes of me Little Angel
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
So that's us fecked for the rest of the winter. Devastated. I have a home I can't even visit Sad

Looking at Austria's current exemptions for the US, which should be a good proxy for how the UK will be treated in future (can probably scratch the references to the UK in the text):

Exceptions apply i.a. for :
• U.S. family members (e.g. spouses, children, parents) of Austrian/EU/EEA/Swiss citizens or citizens of the UK living in the same household
• Holders of a D visa or residence permit issued by Austria
Persons with a residence in Austria the EU, EEA, or Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican, Switzerland or the UK and persons living in the same household (i.e. holders of a "Meldezettel")
• Holders of a diplomatic “legitimation card” issued by Austria

It appears you may be in luck, as being having a residence in the EU may exempt you.
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
What would happen if the Swiss plough their own furrow and allow UK to fly to GVA? Assuming the border between CH and F stays open?

Switzerland may well make the unilateral decision to allow UK citz entry. It is, for example, the only Schengen state to currently allow flights from Russia at the moment.

But CH has Schengen obligations to check third countries citizens hotel bookings, return tickets, travel plans etc. Non EU citizens arriving at GVA may well be asked to present these documents, especially during Covid times, so trying to enter France by that route if France is not permitting third country entry probably won’t work.
latest report
ski_free wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

Looking at Austria's current exemptions for the US, which should be a good proxy for how the UK will be treated in future (can probably scratch the references to the UK in the text):

• U.S. family members (e.g. spouses, children, parents) of Austrian/EU/EEA/Swiss citizens or citizens of the UK living in the same household
Persons with a residence in Austria the EU, EEA, or Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican, Switzerland or the UK and persons living in the same household (i.e. holders of a "Meldezettel")

It appears you may be in luck, as being having a residence in the EU may exempt you.

@ski_free ah, but does "with a residence" mean just that you own a property in the EU country or (as I suspect it might mean) that you are resident in that country (which Hells Bells obviously isn't)?
snow report
Individual states can choose to allow uk visitors. Maybe some of these prefer $$ to anti brexit point scoring ?
We’ll know the facts before things open up in Jan.
snow report
This seems closer to speculation rather than anything that’s confirmed yet? No point panicking. Nothing is very certain this winter anyway.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, I think the “a” gives it away. She can visit ... as can her household. So bring your sleeping bag, we’re moving in snowHead
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
ski_free wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

@ski_free ah, but does "with a residence" mean just that you own a property in the EU country or (as I suspect it might mean) that you are resident in that country (which Hells Bells obviously isn't)?

I think in that case it would say primary residence, or similar, rather than "a residence". But that's just educated guessing (or uneducated Wink )
ski holidays
@PinkPig, The calming voice of hope; with a mere 42 posts.
Welcome. snowHead
ski holidays
Supposing that Switzerland does allow UK visitors after Jan 1st, would we be allowed to drive through France, or would we have to fly directly to CH?
snow report
@ski_free, Uneducated guess (that I like) = FACT!!

Welcome snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Contrarian wrote:
Supposing that Switzerland does allow UK visitors after Jan 1st, would we be allowed to drive through France, or would we have to fly directly to CH?

Earlier in the year when France was in tight lockdown it was still permitted to transit France by car, so in all likelihood the answer is yes.
ski holidays
@Android2000, thanks. I hope you're right.
latest report
@ski_free, I don't think any of those exemptions apply to France though .
latest report
There is currently no automatic right to travel to the EU from the UK.
Borders are Sovereign Smile

There are lots of countries in the EU that UK cant travel to because of current infection rates.
There are some countries in the EU that UK can travel to.
There are countries in Europe not in the EU that UK can travel to.
There are countries in Europe not in the EU that UK cant travel to.

Don't forget each country has its own rules. Any country on the Germany naughty list has to quarantine on arrival for example.
Austria has broken UK down to regions for quarantine - currently North East, Yorkshire & East Midlands (No doubt more will get added).
ski holidays
UK citizens can currently travel to (say) Germany, it’s just that they are required to do a period of quarantine on arrival, as indeed are German citizens returning from UK.

In January the situation will be entirely different.

There will be no right to travel to (say) Germany unless for one of the exempted reasons.
latest report
AL9000 wrote:
Welcome. snowHead

PinkPig doesn't post much. However, he is a long time snowHead and had been on loads of Bashes.
latest report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
AL9000 wrote:
Welcome. snowHead

PinkPig doesn't post much. However, he is a long time snowHead and had been on loads of Bashes.

I’ve never met the swine. Will give him a roasting if I see him. snowHead
snow report
@AL9000, You're crackling me up Happy
snow conditions
AL9000 wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
AL9000 wrote:
Welcome. snowHead

I’ve never met the swine. Will give him a roasting if I see him. snowHead

You may think that was a crackling response, but others may say you are just telling porkies... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
One point that might be helpful to some, though it is a bit late now, is that it is possible to have dual residency as well as have dual nationality (the two are not connected). The downside is that it will have tax & health insurance implications. For example if you own a property in France it is possible that you can get residency and thus a right to enter France whatever your nationality, you would not have to give up your UK nationality and likely to be able to retain your UK residency too (the concept is fairly nebulous in the UK). It will be much easier to do this prior to 31.12.20!

Health policies are the province of individual EU countries so some will almost certainly want to keep the British tourist pound flowing eg Spain whereas others will be inclined to stick with the agreed list eg France, Germany.

Many countries will also allow the entry of spouses and families of EU citizens so if one person in a couple has say Belgian nationality it is very likely this will not be an insurmountable issue.
snow conditions
I think this - Covid + Brexit - is conflating two already very uncertain unknowns. It's not a very useful approach and certainly I wouldn't look to a newspaper - of any orientation - on which to base my actions around these matters.

As it stands at the moment, the only official statements are that travellers from the UK will not have EHIC reciprocal healthcare cover from 1.1.21 onwards and they must take out comprehensive insurance when going abroad; that UK citizens will no longer have EU status; and that drivers should obtain a Green Card for their vehicle and an EDP if they're driving.

Beyond that we know nothing for certain. We don't know if they'll manage to organise EHIC continuance (after all, there is a mutual interest). We don't know if we'll need visas. We don't know if any of the current restrictions and conditions for travelling to/from the UK/Europe will still apply, or whether new ones will be in force. We don't know if there will be a need for inoculation certificates. We don't know what the critical travel insurance conditions and exemptions will be. We don't know how motor insurance cover will change. I don't know whether the current almost impossibility of getting Travel cover for over-65s will persist. And so on.

The information via @BobInCH is much the same as I got from looking at the Swiss Embassy in London website, with the addition of their representative's comment. Re Covid I think we may be in a more comfortable situation by the autumn. But re Brexit, well, we had streamlined arrangements for travel and residence before we left on 1.1.20 and now we've left the EU we have the status of non-EU citizens, so no surprise for me that things are going to be more complicated.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 10-12-20 10:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@munich_irish, you can have a residency permit for a second home in Austria if you own such a property (they are getting rarer as you know), but from 1.1.21 the 90-day rule applies of course. Not sure how this would affect the Covid regulations.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy