Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long Stay Visas 2021 FR and CH

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just had a look at the FR website:

france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/france-visas/

And went through the "Do you need a Visa" part 1 for a long term visa over 90 days.

Filled in the simple details and got this:

"You do not need a visa.
Nevertheless, you must be able to show some documents when you are controlled at the border.
For more information, please click here."

The link went to various documents required to be shown - health insurance - but EHIC still works, financial ability, location etc etc.

I also looked at the Switzerland Visa applications:

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/themen/einreise.html

and this is on the website:

".....will be treated as third-country nationals exempt from visa requirements when entering the Schengen Area, both for short and long stays"
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think that you need to read a bit more of the Swiss website as it also states...

1.7 What requirements must UK nationals meet in order to enter Switzerland after 1 January 2021?

UK nationals do not need a visa to enter Switzerland for a short or long stay. From 1 January 2021 the usual entry requirements for third-country citizens apply to them

1.8 What requirements must be met by third-country nationals (non EU/EFTA) who do not require a visa in order to enter Switzerland?

Third-country nationals (non EU/EFTA) not subject to visa requirements must fulfil the following conditions in order to enter Switzerland for a stay of 90 days in any period of 180 days that does not involve gainful employment....

1.10 What type of visa is required for my travel purpose? What visa application form do I need to complete

For a stay of more than 90 days a Type D visa is required. This is a national visa, issued to people who wish to stay in Switzerland for a longer period; This type of stay – for work or studies in Switzerland, family reunification or lengthy medical treatment – needs to be authorised by the appropriate authorities in advance.

So, along with the rest of Schengen, a British Citizen can enter Switzerland as a tourist (if they qualify under other parts - finance, accommodation etc) for 90 days per 180 days. If a British citizen wishes to stay longer then a Category D visa needs to be obtained in advance and presented when crossing the border.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurdy wrote:
I think that you need to read a bit more of the Swiss website as it also states...

1.10 What type of visa is required for my travel purpose? What visa application form do I need to complete

For a stay of more than 90 days a Type D visa is required. This is a national visa, issued to people who wish to stay in Switzerland for a longer period; This type of stay – for work or studies in Switzerland, family reunification or lengthy medical treatment – needs to be authorised by the appropriate authorities in advance.

So, along with the rest of Schengen, a British Citizen can enter Switzerland as a tourist (if they qualify under other parts - finance, accommodation etc) for 90 days per 180 days. If a British citizen wishes to stay longer then a Category D visa needs to be obtained in advance and presented when crossing the border.

But if a Type D visa for a stay of more than 90 days is required and is only issued for "work or studies in Switzerland, family reunification or lengthy medical treatment" then will a visa be able to be issued if the UK applicant merely wishes to stay for longer than 90 days on holiday? Puzzled

Edit: Your link rather implies that it won't, so @colinstone may be unable to stay in Switzerland for longer than 90 days.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 3-01-21 11:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't know. Ask the Swiss.

Maybe Schengen believes that a three month stay is plenty as a tourist.

the UK currently believes six months is sufficient so maybe that will drop to three months in time.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
colinstone wrote:
Just had a look at the FR website:

france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/france-visas/

And went through the "Do you need a Visa" part 1 for a long term visa over 90 days.

Filled in the simple details and got this:

"You do not need a visa.
Nevertheless, you must be able to show some documents when you are controlled at the border.
For more information, please click here."

The link went to various documents required to be shown - health insurance - but EHIC still works, financial ability, location etc etc.

Interesting. I wonder if that is a change of policy or an error. Hitherto it has been stated that a long stay tourist visa will be required for stays in France beyond 90 days.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@JackSkier, Indeed, I had a quick look just after I linked it on another thread a few days ago. I have decided to leave it for 4 months as it is not an issue for this season, I'm hoping a well worn path will have been trodden by then. But, we must need some bit of paper to ensure we don't transgress the 90 in 180 day Schengen rule, surely?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your passport will be stamped when you enter and leave Schengen.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Swiss D Visa form under the purpose section has "Other" where you specify a reason.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IIRC, I used the same French on-line form that @colinstone, did, a month or two ago and got the same answer. I wonder if the programming behind it simply hasn't been updated yet.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It says here (for France)

https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/france-visas/long-stay-visa

You can get a long stay visa over 90 days for tourist reasons

It also confirms

Quote:

In which cases is a long stay authorised without a visa?

Citizens of the European Union, European Economic Area, Switzerland, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, and the Vatican may stay in the European territory of France without a visa for longer than 90 days.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would assume that if you were coming to the end of the 90 day period and there were serious compelling and compassionate reasons why you should extend your stay you would be able to apply do so. For example, undergoing medical treatment, travel ban on leaving CHE etc?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure about specific countries, but I think it is fairly common that you can only make a visa application if you are outside the country concerned. So you may have to leave before the 90 days are up, and then apply to come back.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here is the latest (4 Jan 2021) standard response from the Swiss Embassy Visa Section in London - I've put the expanded links at the end as well

Due to the current situation concerning the coronavirus COVID-19, the Regional Consular Centre London is no longer accepting short stay visa applications until further notice unless they fall under an exception to the current suspension of the issuing of visas. Please consult the FAQ Corona: Questions and answers on entry and stay in Switzerland, the exceptions and suspension of visas from the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) and their Entry restrictions for high-risk countries. For information on mandatory quarantine, please visit the website of the Swiss Federal Office of Public Health FOPH, the New coronavirus: Mandatory quarantine for persons arriving in Switzerland page and Quarantine rules for persons arriving in Switzerland.

[1] https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/faq-einreiseverweigerung.html
[2] https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/entry-restrictions-to-third-countries.html
[3] https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home.html
[4] https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html
[5] https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/das-bag/aktuell/news/news-11-09-2020-2.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy