Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sella Ronda Lift News for 2020-21

Poster: A snowHead
Its about time to start looking at news of improvements in lifts for next season Happy

Travelling the Sella Ronda anticlock from Passo Camolongo to Corvara will be improved by the Costoratta upgrading to an 8 seater.
There had been a plan to upgrade Le Pale likewise (the lift past the SH BB pit stop known as Plan Boe) but as far as I can tell that has now been postponed to the following year.

Also in Alta Badia the La Brancia chair in the blue heaven above San Cassiano / Corvara / Planac becomes a 6 person.

Some write up (in Italian) here.

In the Belvedere area above Canazei, the Kristiania chair gets upgraded to a 6 person. I wonder whether it will now go just that bit higher to same level as the top of the cablecar and so be an easy access route to the Alba Col dei Rossi link?

It looks like there are other developments a bit further afield with some upgrades in Kronplatz and allegedly the new lift to connect Pocol (Cortina d'Ampezzo) to Cinque Torri.

In other potential good news for the future, the Sodlisia upgrade (to 8 person) still seems to be on the books for the 2021-22 season. That might sort the bottleneck in Colfosco.

Finally, not a lift as such but it looks like some work next to one of my favourite runs (I have been corrupted by JK) - the Cir off Passo Gardena (down towards Dantercepies). Maybe adding a new run down from the pass?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An Arabba Fly style lift across La Villa would be handy, making it less fiddly to get to Santa Croce.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I genearally welcome up graded wski lift but am very wary abou sitting in the in middle of of more than 4 people. Saw a friends knee severely broken by fat German who skied across; tails of his skis and suffered a quite bad knee injuyt myself when in the middle o 8 man chair veryb icey people either side of me kept going straigth . Dhould have pushe one over but evetually
l forced to try to stop befoed ploughing to line of people - ended up in impossible extreme snow plough position . Nose on the floor knees together but skis flat on the snow. Hurt like hell had to beg someone to re;ease my ski bindings so I could stand up. Could walk and still ski but it was over b6 months before the pain went away.j
I alwys try to sit at the edge of a chair lift since then/r
i
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Awdbugga, erm, there is one? Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@andy, I think he meant over the village area. It can be a real pain getting from the bottom of the black, through the car park to the other side of the village. A couple of years ago, you could take the first lift, and traverse across the slopes. Last couple of years, it has been fenced off to protect the nursery slopes, making you go down and up again. A chairlift could easily save 15 minutes each way.

Particularly important if you want to go and spend a fair amount of time in Kronplatz Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ah that could makes sense. always do that extra short lift and quick blat to the lift you're aiming for. it was always a bit of a pole across, cos you'd never have enough momentum anyway if you tried traversing straight from the "fly" to the next proper lift.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@brianatab, exactly that.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent report @SteveM, except... it's got me thinking about all these places, so now I reeeeeally want to go there, now! snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@admin, of course Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Awdbugga, while my memory of the topology of the place is not precise, I'd reckon it would be rather tricky to put in the kind of point to point service that you're after. First one would have to choose whether to service the black or red option coming down from Piz La Ila and secondly there are probably too many houses too elevated as you head out towards Gardenaccia to be able to go over them realistically. For people coming the other way it would mean either having to then return up the "box on slope" or the little chair up from base of red before they could then continue onwards up the Piz La Villa bubble? Unless of course the end point is in the car park (pretty much where the current chair is that takes you over the road).

If it were me, I'd kind of swap Gardenaccia with the short (Doninz?) lift if poss so you ski down to the next logical lift on the way to Santa Croce and the beginners get the "far side" of the slope. Or I suppose you extend the current lift to pass over the top of Doninz, across the slope and deposit a bit above Gardenaccia.

All told, probably rather too complex and costly to sort out now for the volumes of people.

I imagine that some time ago (but not sure how long ago) if you wanted to make the connection then you had no choice but to walk round the road a bit from car park to base station of Doninz or Gardenaccia. In the opposite direction it might have been possible to ski down the field to edge of car park. But it certainly pre-dates my memory of the place going back some 12 years or so.

@brianatab, yes it would save time heading to Kronplatz Happy. Not sure you'd really save anything on the way back though?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SteveM, maybe it's just me being lazy. rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@SteveM, agreed it wouldn't save much time on the way back, and that run down's not too bad. It's just the car park secton that is a pain.

It's a pity they can't divert a run straight down to the lift, but too many houses in the way.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Awdbugga, that's AL9000's bad influence on you! Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SteveM, I tried, but alas, he’s far too youthful and energetic to join the lazy lads snowHead

I’m determined to try and remember at least some names of the places around the Sella Ronda. I’ll have to carry a map and some crayons next time Confused
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@AL9000, you'd best learn more than some of the names, cos you've got to navigate us to Vulcano next time. Confused
latest report
SteveM wrote:
it's clearly rubbing off and I've yet to ski with him. Puzzled
snow report
Awdbugga wrote:
SteveM wrote:
it's clearly rubbing off and I've yet to ski with him. Puzzled

Is that right? I do remember we’ve had a hot choccy stop or two or three over the years. snowHead
snow conditions
@AL9000, I rest my case. Your idea of skiing with someone is bumping into them in a rifugio during one of your many hot choccy stops. Laughing Laughing wink
latest report
If you look at a map of the sella ronda from the 1980s and earlier it is noticeable how many former runs and ski routes have ‘disappeared’. For example the run from the Seceda via the Jauc hut back to Selva, which must be beautiful, or the run to skiers left below the seceda cable car down to Col Raiser are no longer marked. The remains of their tbars are still in place but the runs are no longer part of the network and were never supplied with snow making.

On the other side of the valley there used to be marked runs down from Monte Pana. Over on the Passo sella the old stand up bins up to the Freidrich August hut are still in place but you can no longer ski the couloir down, unless you skin up first. Further round and the High point of the Sass Pordoi used to have a piste I think? At Colfosco there was a run towards the Passo Gardena above the road at the top of sod Lisa. No doubt there will be others that have disappeared over the years. The good news however is that the Pilat from Mont Seuc back to Ortesi is being reinstated this summer with snow making. It should make an interesting ski down once again, from Alp de Suisa. At the bottom is the Ronc where the tbar is still in situ but I don’t think there are any plans to reinstate the ski run there at the moment. Also mentioned above is the creation of a new black run this summer down from the cir at Dantetcepes along the direct line of the former cable car route.

Anyone know of other ‘lost runs’ around the Sella Ronda ? Perhaps the old bins at the bottom of the Marmalada and the summer ski area ?
snow report
@Peter S, there certainly is that old lift at the bottom of Marmolada on the pass below the resevoir, that I have never seen in action. Presume it served a shortish run down that slope. Probably the one you refer to above.

Any particular sources of old Sella Ronda maps available on the web?
snow report
Steve, I think it may originally have provided access up to the glacier skiing?

Wonder if you can see it on the remake of the Italian Job which was filmed on the lake dam near there?

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0317740/mediaviewer/rm3464219648
snow conditions
Found a few older maps today
https://skimap.org/SkiAreas/view/2095
latest report
The run that I hate is the one down from Ciampioni is Piz Sella 5 ...its always busy and icy as well as large muguls as it seems to be the one route to Sassalungo so everyone has to use it so there are usually lots of bodies too
snow report
There is a different way down, but tbh, it's not really any better. Swap wide steep and bumpy for narrow, not quite so steep, but just as bumpy and off camber. Red 4, keep right, and Red 6.

Nice olde worlde maps in that link above. Looks like one for when the World's was there, which I knew used more pistes (eg a historic version of Cir) than the current World Cup, but hadn't realised which others.
ski holidays
@HutToHut,
Thanks for that link. Lots of runs back to at Ulrich shown in 1970 that are no Longer on the piste map. Snowfall must have been more reliable 50 Years ago.
latest report
DaveD wrote:
The run that I hate is the one down from Ciampioni is Piz Sella 5 ...its always busy and icy as well as large muguls as it seems to be the one route to Sassalungo so everyone has to use it so there are usually lots of bodies too

Yeah, hate that run in the afternoon when my knees are shot. Early doors with no moguls it's fine tho
snow report
Mentioned by Andy, you can see the alternative route in this image. Go around the back of the Ciampinoi top station and then under the Gondola. The piste is narrow, and in the afternoon not much fun......

snow conditions
I will try that in January ...I hope ...the problem is that it is usually one of the last runs of the day and it is , as you said cut up and icy but the mainreason is that its(they) are (blackish) red runs and everyone including beginners has to go down them as there is no easy route
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One benefit of going that "back route" down to PdG from Ciampinoi rather than the wall-of-death is that you can stop at the Ciadinat Hutte, or Baita Ciadinat, which is one of the best huts in the Selva/Passo Sella area.
ski holidays
jma wrote:
one of the best huts in the Selva/Passo Sella area
This has piqued my interest.
Why is it one of the best?
snow report
Personally I like it for the fibreglass animals outside, but most people (and me) go for the very very authentically old wood everywhere inside and friendly Ladinish people running it. May it never get modernised.
ski holidays
Indeed -- seriously Rustic ; Only tried the Gluhwein Smile , so can not comment on the food..
snow conditions
Quote:

Why is it one of the best?

Because I like it more than most of the others!

Facetiousness aside... The food is the local, traditional fayre but very good - I'd say better than most places of a similar ilk. There's plentiful seating outside where it's fairly sheltered if the weather's bad and nice and sunny if good (never sat inside). It's not usually too busy so as long as you're either early or late in the lunch slot you don't generally have to book and you're not crammed onto a table with two other groups (and my experiences are only in Feb 1/2 terms). The service is very friendly and extremely efficient. Rif. Friedrich August used to be my favourite in this(ish) neck of the woods but Ciadinat has replaced it.

The nearby Comici is objectively better - better food, better wine, better grappa and certainly much better toilets - but at a price that most can't afford every day.
ski holidays
Not on the SR but interesting the old chairlift on Marmolada will be reopening this year

https://www.dovesciare.it/news/2020-09-29/marmolada-lo-skilift-arei-2-di-malga-ciapela-riapre-questinverno

google translate
The Arei 2 ski lift will reopen this winter in the Marmolada - Malga Ciapela ski area.

The Arei 2 ski lift had been closed since December 2017 due to problems related to the potential avalanche danger. Now an avalanche valley is nearing completion which will secure the area and will allow you to return to skiing with the ski lift that serves the only easy slope in the Marmolada area.
ski holidays
@Peter S, Hello! Any further info on the ski run from Mt Seuc down to Ortesei? As a frequent passenger down the hill in the little red bubbles, I'd love to see this!
snow report
richb67 wrote:
Not on the SR but interesting the old chairlift on Marmolada will be reopening this year

https://www.dovesciare.it/news/2020-09-29/marmolada-lo-skilift-arei-2-di-malga-ciapela-riapre-questinverno

google translate
The Arei 2 ski lift will reopen this winter in the Marmolada - Malga Ciapela ski area.

The Arei 2 ski lift had been closed since December 2017 due to problems related to the potential avalanche danger. Now an avalanche valley is nearing completion which will secure the area and will allow you to return to skiing with the ski lift that serves the only easy slope in the Marmolada area.

Is that the chair lift or the 2 drag lifts?
snow conditions
@wam15, The drags - Arei 1 and Arei 2
ski holidays
Thanks for the confirmation.
snow report
@LukeRibs,
Luke some pics in this link if it works.
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=2&nv=1&pto=aue&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.skiforum.it/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D41109%26page%3D7%26p%3D2222713&xid=17259,15700021,15700186,15700190,15700256,15700259,15700262,15700265&usg=ALkJrhi1JGioWl96Zygq0YOb8GIUIVIkrw#post2222713

Scroll up on the link to see the proposed plan. snowHead
ski holidays
I have heard a rumour, a rumour, that Italy has decided to close it's ski resorts for the winter except for competitions. Is this a case of false news?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy